1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

peonies edible?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by sjpackfan, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjpackfan

sjpackfan Guest

I didn't see peonies listed in edible flowers. Anyone know? I have double white & red.

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

That's a good question.

They're listed as toxic to cats, but cats, as we know, are not crabs.

They appear to have strong medicinal properties against hypertension and a few other problems. Which means they might be too strong for the crabs to eat often safely.

On the other hand, scale and Japanese beetle will eat them, and ants like the flower sap. So, if it were me, I'd offer one blossom and see how the crabs respond to it.

If they eat it, chances are that they are capable of eating it and it won't harm them. But you never know, so you should think about it carefully before you decide to conduct such an experiment.

Crabs tend to only like flowers once they've wilted, so you'll have to leave it for a few days at least to be certain of their reaction.

If you do choose to conduct this experiment, please let us know in a month or so how it went so I can update the food lists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.