1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parasites?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by hermie123, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermie123

hermie123 "Never Molted"

I just came home form long wood garden and I think I found tiny parasitic things in my hermit crab tank. They look like tiny dust mite. I think my hermit crab is molding so I don't want to disturb it but I found a crap load on the food plate so I quickly dumped it and changed it. What it this? And how often do I change the bedding?

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

if they're like white/grey/tanish green speckles, they're probably mites.
    There is this mite spray that you can get at petco, I had to get some for my tank after buying a new crab.

boil all toys, plastic plants, shells and bowls in dechlor salt water to ditch them, also change the bedding,
    make sure you feed the crabs when they're most active, dont leave food sitting around and clean their poops regularly
    (I can never seem to find the poops using coconut fiber...)

they thrive easily in the humid temps so if you're in a cold snowy area,
    take your crabs and bathe them in salt water bath
    (tip their shell so that they're on their back to allow the water to poor in, when I did this a large mite the size of a pencil tip came floating out of the waterI dumped in the shell)

and put the cage and wood out in the snow for a bit.

Wood gets backed in the oven for about 10-15mins to kill them, I put on bake and put it in for 30 to be safe.

make sure you clean all the soil out and wipe the tank down.

Don't use any chemicals or you'll kill your crabs.

I ended up buying a couple crickets to eat them. I've yet to see any since I put Criquette in the tank.

Also note***
    Mites stress out crabs so you'll want to dispose of them fairly swiftly.
    Stressing out the crab can cause loss of limbs and death so yours very well could possibly be molting or just hiding to relieve stress.

If it is a molt, I don't think you should bathe it.
    I battled mites for about a month before getting rid of them
    if you have a sponge, get rid of it, there were thousands of them hiding and laying eggs in mine.
    The laying>incubation>hatching period of mite eggs is 3-5 days.

3. hermie123

hermie123 "Never Molted"

Thanks, that helps but I think a crab is molting because he(I think) been under the coconut fiber for like 4 days and ahsnt come up so hues got me thinking he's molting. Do I dig him up? I change the food like every day almost and then I have a piece of wood n there ( non molding kind, I think drift wood?) and I found some mites on that so I washed it and now I do not see mites (moving grains of sand) crawingaround. Do u think I should dig him up, and do what u said?

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It depends on the size of crab. How long have you had it? Usually it takes a couple of weeks to molt. So it is in the pre-molt stage.
    I just dug one up after seeing him up the night before to do a deep clean thinking that it had molted cause it had been down for 5 weeks and saw him the day before I did the deep clean. But 2 days after I did the deep clean he went down again. So he didnt molt yet. He is fine.
    It is totally up to you. You will have to be super,super carefull. Take out a little at a time. Maybe you can do a surface clean. Take everything out clean it and take the top soil out. But I dont know if that will work and if it doesnt you wil have to do the deep clean. Just make sure you have a iso tank ready. Like I said it is totally up to you.

5. hermie123

hermie123 "Never Molted"

i just cleaned mostly eveything except the coconut shell as their housing and right now, i don't see any more but what do the eggs look like?

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I dont know?

7. Klabelle

I'm not sure what they look like either, mine were all in the soil, crawling on drift wood (which does mold by theway, I just had to huck out 3 logs today due to that :sad5:

I'd just keep trying the surface clean till it finishes molting, I wish your lil dude luck.

After it finishes I'd give him a month before bathing to get mites out.

Those are definitely mites because mine were grains of moving sand as well.

Make sure you pick up a bottle of mite remover, it's like 6$ or so.

http://www.petco.com/product/105902/Zoo-Med-Mite-Off.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

8. hermie123

hermie123 "Never Molted"

ya, i'm going to petco becasue i also have to pick up some conditioner for my fish. i breed them. betta fish.

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You do??? I have a long finned female Betta fish. She is so pretty. Got her in a 10gal. I know shes a female cause she has a white egg sack in between her two bottom fins. I have read that it is not common but I got one. She also has stanosis. Not real bad but she is a little curvy.

10. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

OK Peeps...Please read and Follow the advice in this post.

It is Crucial for the well being and longevity of your Land Hermit Crabs.
    The following is for crabs with mites too, as well as new crabs, and was written by Hermez.

HOW TO CHECK FOR MITES AND WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE THEM

You should always have on hand 2x salt water---when you get a new crab you should rinse the crab off with dechlor water to get the sand/ee off. Then you submerge the crab fully upside down in the 2x salt water.........they will either freeze up and hardly move or they will flip over and scramble to get out- you want to make sure the water gets way back in their shell and that they stay covered. When they are in the upside down position and they come out the water rushes to the back of the shell.........sometimes I will keep flipping them over as one time does not always work. Now some crabs may never come out- this can be a problem. You need to maybe do multiple baths or try the next day.
    I cant stress enough how important it is to check for mites. They will be so very very sneaky - I have had a crab bathed several times and still have mites - the more you listen to this advice the better off you and crabby will be.

When the crab is now done the 5 minutes submerge you take him and put in him some fresh dechlor water- on the inital rinse bath I will sometimes add stress coat I usually wait to rinse the crab until I see what I find in the salty bath-

Very carefully watch the water (try to look at the top where you can see it like a mirror). Make the water get very still........get a flashlight if you can. The mites will either be swimming around or may even be dead. If alive carefully stick a toothpick in the water near them-they will hop on trying to save themselves. Hold up to a light and study what they look like then smash the heck out of the varmit . Mites come in all colors- white-grey-red-black-brown etc. They will have 8 legs- now my eyes are bad being an old person here but even the best eyes can sometimes have trouble seeing them. When in doubt you can do another bath, The salt "generally" makes them release from the crab- you can get a stubborn mite- I now will give repeated salt baths if I find mites in the first bath- so I will start fresh all over again until I see no more- THEN you take some fresh dechlor water and if you saw mites add some stress coat. The stress coat will smother any mites that may be left on and or the eggs. This is the only time you can use stress coat.

Now you have to wait 3-5 days and ISO the new crab. Then repeat the process, mite eggs take that long to hatch. If you feel good about the baths at this point you can offer clean substrate (if mites were found I only offer an inch of sand as it will need to be discarded) with a fresh clean tank and offer good foods etc for a week or two before adding to your main tank. I even give another bath at this point to be sure or if crab is not acting right I have been surprised at this stage ALSO!!!

If the 2nd batch (3-5 days later) of baths show mites you have to repeat everything again.

By doing this even though its a pain you will definately achieve a mite free crab and not harm your established colony. Some crabs may be so hurt by the mites they may not make it.

The baths can be stressful but a mite infested crab will become very sick and cranky.

People that just add new crabs after a quick dip in water are setting themselves up for a real headache someday. Nobody can ever be lucky enough to not meet up with a mite or two in crab keeping.

ISO gives the crab a chance to de-stress - gain strength and will give YOU a chance to see if the crab has bugs/viruses and observe their behaviour- make sure they are in a quiet place with proper day-night cycles.

11. Klabelle

Right after we had these postings, I got mites in my tank -_- I'm correlating it to the moss I just put in 5 days ago.
    I've been clean since I added the stuff so I wish you and me luck in ditching the buggers.​

12. Mckenny

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know if this helps or not, but here are some pics of harmful mites (greatly magnified).

Here is a pic of booklice......more of a nuisance than harmful.

[​IMG]

:huggies: Hang in there everyone, we're all hoping the best for you. :fingerscrossed:

13. Klabelle

My moss theory proved to be true,
    they're those annoying food bugs that sometimes hide in my crabs shells as well while they crawl all over everything :sad5:
    They're all throughout the freshly dampened moss and I saw some dead ones in the box of moss so this is gonna be a hassle already.​

14. hermie123

hermie123 "Never Molted"

all females have eggs sacks. do you have a picture or seomthing? i would love to see her.

and admin, thanks for the answer, big help. i also cleaned out my tank and took the risk of seeing if the hermit crab was molting and it wasn't so i used this cypress bedding and some coconut husk bedding, i combined the 2. i actually washed my hermit crab with salt water so all i have to do is pour it in the shelll?

15. Klabelle

You put their shell so they're on their back and let the water wash in.
    I personally have to pour carefully into their shells because my medium crab is a pain and likes to flail like spongebob :BangHead:

When you put them upside-down and they come out, the water goes in so make sure their bath is as high as your crab.
    When they finally get back on their feet the water comes out.

16. alliswell777

alliswell777 (Small Crab)

:noidea: am i remembering incorrectly, or is cypress bedding bad for the crabs. i had something one time that said "hermit safe", but it turned out the contrary. is cypress bedding bad??

17. Mckenny

Yes...it comes from Conifer Forrests and the pine cones are toxic (arsenic). There are those who say nuh-uh, but personally, I'm not going to take a chance on slowly poisoning them and causing a painful death. :flower:

18. hermie123

hermie123 "Never Molted"

thanks

19. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I bought this type of all natural pet beeding from k mart once and used said no harmful chemicals or tree oils, in about 2 weeks my crabs were acting really lethargic, not eating, ect.. never did find out what it was made of.. it looked like shaved tree stuff?? I went back to sand and they snapped out of it. Why the switch? sand was heavy & I could carry it, e.e. was so $ I was out of work at the time. now I don't buy anything that unless someone else has on here and has good results from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.