1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pale Molted Crab

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Dezzi, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

3 of my Crabs have come up from their molts. (I am SO HAPPY!!) It seemed like they were down there FOREVER~! It was So Exciting to look in & see another up and roaming about!

Anyway, All 3 seem to be in Great health, they are eating, and VERY Active! They All want to climb! But, my only concern is- the 1st crab to come up from his Molt was Maxie, and I think he was bumped into by my Med. crab Lee & disturbed from his molt. (I removed Lee after this happened). Maxie seemed to be okay, but he was very pale. I don't think he got a chance to finish eating his exo. (weeks later I found a piece of his exo leg) It has been a while now since he has been up, And he is Still Quite Pale. His Pincher has gotten a tad darker, it's a light lavendar shade, and his legs are almost a cream color. My other 2 molters, have a Much deeper color to them. They both look almost as dark as when they went down. So, I don't know if this is something I should be concerned about? Or, If there is something missing from his diet? Otherwise, he is doing great, he is Always ready to play, and he eats & drinks just fine. So, this may not even be an issue, I just wanted to be sure about it though.

I am giving them crushed egg shells, and they have cuttlebone sprinkled all around the tank. I know they need plently of calcium right now, So any other ideas of foods I could give? I give a good variety of food for them, but I am always open for more suggestions! I will also go through posts for tips & recipes.

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I remember Hermez recommends honey with cuttlebone and spirulina if you have it.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

a well rounded diet is essential. Most crabs will darken when they have been up a bit- like McKenny said that is good do as stated for energy and add fresh fruits etc etc

4. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

I will definetly try the spirulina! I just placed my first order at vckum's & got my Hermie's Lots of healthy foods & goodies~!

I noticed another problem though last night. I looked in on the tank, and my last molter to emerge "freddie" was up & about. I had seen him briefly before & then he had always burrowed back down. Which I figured was normal for a crab who had just molted. & was still de-stressing. But anyway, he was crawling around (alert & curious) & it looked like he wanted to get to the water dish. But Both of my other 2 crabs (who have been up for a bit) were following him around, so I just watched them & sure enough, Maxie (my smallest) went up to him & just gave him a good shove! I could tell Freddie was Terrified & he imeadeatly went to burrow back down again.

So now I am worried they are keeping him from coming up to eat & drink, & I don't understand Why I keep having these issues? So many others have crabs & they live & molt together without any problems. But for some reason I just can't seem to get these crabs 2 get along. I have 2 N/C water dishes, & 1 salt water dish. (All given fresh daily) They have TONS of shells to choose from & they all change often. So I don't think it was a shell issue. (although I could be wrong) I give at least 4 food choices a night for them. & another member let me know that a lack of calcium could cause aggression, so last night I made 2 dishes- 1 a mixture of crushed egg shells & crushed freeze dried krull. & the other I mixed some oats with honey & sprinkled cuttlebone into the mixture. Neither of those foods were touched this morning. I am just feeling fusturated about it. It must be something I am doing wrong? But, I have read so much about this & I just can't figure out what it is. I'm just scared that Freddie won't come up out of fear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.