1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painted shells?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by cursedkid, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

i heard painted shells were unhealthy for them, but i was at a hermit crab stand with nothing but painted, they seemed pretty healthy

2. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

I don't like painted shells at all but if the shell is realy good I'll clean the paint off.

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Crabs in painted shells usually didn't put them on by choice. Distributors coerce them into leaving their old shells (using one of several not-nice methods) and then take away the old shells and leave only painted ones for them to put on. I have no proof of this, but this is what I've heard.

The paint is also bad because it flakes off, and hermit crabs will pick up and eat just about anything, including paint flakes. [​IMG]

4. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

If your hermies are wearing them now, like some of mine are, let them dig around in the damp sand until they start peeling, then try to peel off the paint. I have 4 that stubbornly stick to painted shells and I have managed so far to peel most of the paint off. When they dig around, the sand works great to start the process.

5. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I would never try to scrape paint off of the shell while the crab is living in it, but I have let me son go at the empty ones. They are always so much prettier underneath too, no wonder the crabs don't like them.

6. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

oh, but so far none of my crabs dig

7. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Just offer them plenty of shells to switch into. Most crabs will move out of the painted shell as soon as they can, if they don't then they are obvioulsy happy so that is fine too. The objection that most people have with the painted shells is the methods used to get the crab into the painted shell, and some are actually painted while the crab is living in the shell and have gotten glued inside the shell as a result. Also the painted shell appeals to a market of throw away pets.

8. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

OOOHHH, I didn't mean I "scraped" the paint off. Some of the shells I have the paint is acrylic and it just peels off on its own when the guys dig in the wet sand, so I just peel the rest off while bathing them or changing their tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.