1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painted Shells

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by zenoscribe, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

I understand why wire cages are bad (thanks to this site) - but I haven't been able to find any info about the painted shells. I planned to purchase appropriate non-toxic paint & involve 5 of my 7 children in painting shells. (The other 2 are babies under 2 years old - no painting for them!) Please tell me why painted shells are bad. Is there any process that would make them good?

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

First and foremost, what people object to about painted shells is the inhumane methods used to get hermit crabs into them. This won't apply to you of course, though you should keep in mind that your child may work hard on a painted shell that no crab chooses. In my tank, it has been extremely rare for a crab to choose a painted shell when an unpainted one is available.

The other issue is that the paint will eventually flake off. Since hermit crabs will eat pretty much anything they find, there's a good chance they'd eat the paint flakes, which non-toxic paint or not, is just not good for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.