1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painted shells

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by piccaloooo, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

[​IMG]

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry Clipper died! You have done so much for him, and he went anyway. It breaks my heart.

I'm already all over FMR, and the manager, Paul Manger, doesn't care. I read a newspaper article about him, and he has a pet marine biologist that says this in no way harms the crabs. I called the guy about several concerns I had with their caresheet, and he hung up on me before I could even broach the subject of painted shells.

You'd do much better to send your pictures and a letter to:

Chief Animal Welfare Officer
    Sarasota County Animal Services
    8451 Bee Ridge Road
    Sarasota, FL 34241

Which I have already done, including both of your long pictorals about this evil. I am trying to get FMR investigated, and that is the body that does it.

Please see my post at:

http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=913

Good luck, and let me know what happens, please.

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I am terribly sorry to hear about Clipper. I was so hoping he would pull through for you. I'm just sick with sadness that he could not be saved. God bless little Clipper [​IMG]

Kerie, I can not believe what an unprofessional response you received...to actually hang up on someone without dealing with the issue at hand is cowardly. To me that type of response indicates he is aware of his guilt in this matter. A person who truly believed that the crabs were not being harmed would, at the very least, be considerate to listen to what you have to say. Whether a "customer" is irrate or calm, they deserve the respect of at least being heard. Perhaps they need someone else who is more adept in handling Personal Relations. I will try to collect my thoughts enough to draft a letter and mail it to the address above.

3. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

You know, Wendy, if I'd been being mean to the guy, I can sort of understand why he'd hang up on me, but in all honesty, I used to work for a lawyer, and I have a VERY professional phone manner. I was using all of its power on Manger, but he really has a bee up his bottom.

I was trying to tell him that running hot water over a crab would be damaging and perhaps even kill it, when he went out of his tree. He was trying to compare a crab with a rottweiler, and saying, "Would you pet the rott to get it off your kid, or would you hit it over the head?"

I'm going, "A crab is not a rottweiler, sir. I can't see the point of..." click

So, yeah, I think he's guilty. I think he doesn't give a you-know-what. FMR was hanging in there for a while, and then they hit on painted shells and they're raking it in! Of course he doesn't want to improve the crabs' level of care; if they live, they'd sell less of them.

I urge everyone reading this to help with FMR. I don't want him shut down, just to change his evil ways. If a person is selling live animals and not providing appropriate care information, they are choosing to kill the animals through inaction.

At any rate, I'm having some pretty difficult personal times in my life, and I'm letting a few things slack right now, but I'm still going to do what I can about FMR, and USShell, and all the others. However, I can only do one at a time. If we can get one company investigated and changed, then we have more ammunition to get the others turned about.

THis is sorta peripheral to me right now, but it's still in my thoughts and my actions. The best thing anyone reading this can do is write Animal Services in Sarasota and ask them to do something to get FMR's captive animals a better quality of life.

Manger is free to make money. I don't care. But not at the expense of the crabs' lives. The problem with our country is that we have no concept of conscientious capitalism. And it is very possible to be capitalists and still try to do no harm.

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

EXACTLY! It's all about money. With US Shell competing for their (FMR) share of the market, naturally they would rather sell as many as they can. It is the same reason why batteries don't last forever, or light bulbs...no repeat customers (revenue) would be generated if they made ones that never burned out.

Very nice put Kerie!

5. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Piccaloooo, I am so sorry to hear that Clipper died. [​IMG]

What you do for these little hermies is an
    amazing thing. Clipper found freedom and a little happiness before he went, only because of you.

You have educated others on the plight of the hermies with your posts and photos, and I can't tell you how deeply what you've done for these hermies has touched me.

Being new to crabbing, I had no idea. But, because of your posts, I am looking more closely at the stores and crabs in my area and telling anyone who will listen about these awful conditions. What you're doing really does make a difference, even if it sometimes seems like it isn't.

Is Clipper's picture still going to be used for distribution at pet stores?

cj

6. Guest

Guest Guest

::hugs her crab and cries:: This is my baby PInchy. I do have pictures of him and his old shell. So much reminded me of marigold. I was startled when he went to a one and a half inch crab to a four inch crab with out molting. I have to be honest, I sold crabs in horrible conditions. All I could do is step forward and put the ones out of their misery who were to sick. I would not let any suffer.

Pinchy was a unwanted return. They would not put him back with the other crabs. He's named after the crab on the Simpsons. But he lived up to the other half of his name before I realized his real issue. He was over crowded and sick.

Today Pinchy runs around in his hampster ball, romps in the park, and general spoiled rotten. After I read this post... I just have to love him more. For all those crabs that didn't make it.

To the lady who keeps looseing crabs she's pinching out. You have to give them a break in cracking out. I had to do it to pinchy ones. I cracked his shell till I had to leave to cry, then I came back. when I was calm, he was calm.

But I to have had my loss of crabs.

RIP

Rescue Hope and Mr.crabs / Misterious Deaths: Pippy, Mishka and Dib / And incurale infections: Karka

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Man, he was really stuck, that's horrible!!! I'm glad you saved the day!!! You are diffantly really nice to hermit crabs [​IMG]!!! I'm sure he's good to know you, too!!!
    Way to go [​IMG]!!!

8. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Pb and Pic.. I have to say I love ya's... There is truly something heartwrenching and heartwarming at the same time about rescues. At this time I havent been able to get into it as much as I would like, but when I see one that needs it, I cant say no. Like the horse I mentioned in a previous post, I knew she wasnt going to make it. But she was the best example of what love and compassion can do for a spirit even if its time is limited. Also the little rabbit that nobody wanted because her legs are malformed, she does just fine in my eyes. Even if your rescue cases never make it, always remember that they were loved. They felt it and they knew it. Those animals, whatever species could finally take a breath and know that they were safe, and I would like to think that it is one of the best feelings in the world. The other day a freind of mine got an emaceated rabbit, her toenails were at least a half an inch long. She had called me over for my advice and to see if I could see anything really wrong with the bunny... I have to say I broke down fully and bawled as soon as I had finished clipping her toenails because the rabbit immediately gave my had at least a dozen licks, as though to say thank you. I just cannot imagine the rabbits feelings having been neglected for so long. I agree that all animals need compassion and love, even down to the tiny ones like our hermies. I'm glad to say I know you guys, I just wish there were more people like us out there.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] it's completely wrong for anyone to do such a thinng to a defenceless hermie,and i wish people would stop being so greedy and consider the hermies' feelings [​IMG]

10. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Just...wow. I was trolling the forum b/c I couldn't sleep and came across this. Thank you for what you do. As soon as I go back to the Salina Mall, I'm bringing REAL care sheets (the ones they have are inadequate) and advising them to tell their customers that the care kit isn't complete. I'm also thanking the small pet store in town for being SO wonderful to their little guys.

This is why PETA hates hermit crab owners. B/c of people who cause things like this.

I hope they all come back as these crabs in another life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.