1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painted shells

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by piccaloooo, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piccaloooo

piccaloooo Hi, I'm New Here!

the following is going to be full of pics and full of ramble. but it is important ramble, and word needs to be spread.

first a bit of history about me. i got my first 3 crabs from a kiosk in the mall last august. knew nothing for the first 24 hours. lost 2 of the 3 within a week. plastic critter carrier led to 10gal led to 29gal and another 10. anyway, as i would lose crabs [​IMG] the kiosk had a return policy -and i took full advantage of it, and basically i went from looking for the healthiest hermies, to the ones in need the most. the reason i did that is because i learned something that broke my heart. freedom wouldn't come out to see me, and i bought him sight unseen, because he and merica were BIG crabs, and no one wants the big ones. merica would come out to see me, but freedom just stayed inside his shell and clicked. and his BP would open and close...and that was it. later that evening, i realized he wasn't coming out, because he COULDN'T come out. stuck. imprisioned. my heart broke, and i panicked a little. for a minute. then i got to work. two hours later i had clipped him to freedom and finally he got to see the light of day one more time. i was raging mad. his big pincher joint was stuck inside that stupid soccer ball shell, he was adhered to the paint inside the shell, and he was held captive in the very shelter that is meant to keep him alive. he died, but died being able to breathe the clean air and taking nourishment and he was no longer trapped and slowly suffering in the dark.

so i went back to the kiosk with the sole purpose of finding more like freedom. i found tucker. bound, stuck, adhered, cemented. painted finding nemo shell. two hours later, tucker got free. his eyes were so clouded over, i just cry to think how long these little things are suffering inside themselves. tucker died too, in a more comfortable shell, and seeing life again.

friday night i went to my favorite pet store, for cat food. and well...crab in a cup anyone?

they always have good hermies, in natural shells, none of the painted crap. so i wandered to the hermit crab tank and in the aquarium is about 16 crabs in cups, stacked on top of each other. all in red or pink heart shells. one of the employees walked by and i said, um... why are these in cups?
    "oh, it's just for valentine's day"
    but...why don't you free them, this is exactly what walmart does [​IMG] well we haven't had TIME. wtf dood, it's your JOB to take care of the pets. he went to help someone else. so over comes a girl, and i said, oooh, i guess i'm going to get one. can i look at them? she said sure go ahead, and the guy comes back and said, oh, when you have time can you open all those containers? so she did, while i'm politely bitching about their stupid painted crap shells they are now having. i helped her free them. i was going to get one that was staring at me through the bucket, and making praying pinchers. she freed her before i could say i wanted her and the little pattie was happily roaming so i looked on. and decided on booger, because of the blob of boogery paint by her eyes. more on her later. so i went in search of another in need. found one dead, and then came upon my newest rescue. i could tell by looking he was stuck. generally, if a hermit crab doesn't at least come out to check you out, they're either stuck, sick, or dead.
    [​IMG]
    so i told her, he's stuck you know. oh really? um, yeah, he can't move. took him home, got home at 5:55, gave them a quick bath, in which he did not move one little bit. only his big pincher moved so i knew he was alive. could only see 3 of his 6 supposed to be seen legs. dammit.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/prettierworld/ugh.jpg
    to the casual observer, nothing looks wrong with this crab, just shy...hiding.
    freeing a stuck crab is just about as intricate, daunting, nerve-wracking, and time consuming as brain surgery. i use cuticle nippers that have a sharp point and let's just say, i learned my lesson the hard way.

for one thing, WHY do they paint the inside of the shells? it CEMENTS their bodies and legs to the shell they're forced into, and they are so traumatized in the 'factory' that i'm sure a good majority of them hide asap. to their detriment, obviously. crabs are not pliable, they are hard crustaceons with not a lot of options once they get in such a predicament.

from first clip to last it was a full three hours. i took a one minute break, and went right back at it. i knew i was stressing him out, but i guess i'd rather do that all in one fell swoop, than to free him bit by bit and leave him almost free. which i thought about doing, but. i didn't.

he was by far my worst stuck crab. tucker and freedom were difficult, tucker moreso because he was in a REALLY thick shell, but he wasn't nearly so bound. at first i thought it was his big pincher that was holding him captive. well, it was, but in actuality, it was EVERY leg that was stuck. the two on his left were absolutely superglued to the shell, the two on his right were so cramped they were not visible. his little pincher was no where to be seen. it was squished under him and one of his left legs was over the top of the other one. completely unnatural. it's like crossing your legs and having your body roped to your legs with your arms squished and crossed, somewhere in the middle, and tossed in a tiny dark box.

[​IMG]
    here he is, after about 1 1/2 hours of solid clipping. his little pincher, finally is seen. he still couldn't move, fractions of centimeters is the only thing i got from him. and a big pincher opening and closing, in fear, and self protection. [​IMG] typing this again is making me cry.
    [​IMG]
    the poor baby, i just...ugh.

christ, this part i will never forget. i stabbed him. you can see his wound on his right leg. as soon as i did it, he kicked his leg out in pain, and all my apologies to him didn't help. soon it went soft and limp. ugh. [​IMG] i am always SO careful when i do this. i have to chip the shell away flake by flake by flake. once in a while i can get a 'chunk' and it will go zinging through the air and hit a wall. the chunk is smaller than the size of a pencil lead tip. anyway, about twenty minutes after i stabbed him, he kicked his leg out again and wouldn't put it back down. i knew if he survived he would drop it, at least they have that benefit of dropping a leg if need be. it was soft and cold. guilt=piccalo.
    [​IMG]
    if you look closely, you can see his eyes. barely. but finally.
    [​IMG]
    it's hard to tell, but this pic shows how much he was cemented. a few times i just set him down on the towel and hoped he would just die. but i started clipping away more and more and finally i could see his eyes. sort of. but he saw me and i couldn't stop now.

[​IMG]
    so, after seeing his eyes, i knew the worst was to come. if i could stab his leg so easily, damaging his eyes would have been catastrophic. and it just so happened that the worst part of where he was stuck was precariously close to his eyes. so i used stress coat as lube and flake by flake by flake his legs started moving. i couldn't take pics at this point because i was too close. i thought. he was SO bound, that once he started getting a little room to move, his leg lifted a little so it was over the surface of the shell. kinda like a rubber band tight on your finger. i was hoping he'd start to move himself out but he did not move whatsoever. i honestly didn't think i'd get him out. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FINALLY finally finally 2.45 hours into it, i saw an eye, and only one eye because he still couldn't move, but one last clip did it and he moved so i could see both eyes. and a pile of cottage cheesy scum on his back. i don't know what it is, but i THINK it was a collection of shell flakes/stress coat/water. poor thing.

he dropped his leg once he was free, and into "iso" he went. iso isn't really iso, as there are about 5 buried. i left him alone for a few minutes, i know the stress I went through for three hours, i can only imagine the torture he has been enduring. when i came back, i couldn't find him, but his shell was laying there and of course my heart jumped in fear. lifted the cocohut and there he was, in a nice, too big, comfortable shell.

[​IMG]
    happy birthday, clipper.

he went down under on friday night, and is still buried. i can only hope for the best, but whether he is strong enough to survive his nightmare is yet to be seen.

i'm going to continue to do what i can for these little critters, my heart just aches at the brutality of their lives.

only the strongest of them survive, and we HAVE to do something about this. i'm at a loss for legalities, but SOMETHING MUST CHANGE. this business is barbaric and inhumane. and painted shells should be outlawed. period.

i apologize for the length of this, but it is for a good cause. [​IMG]

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

OH dear Lord,
    This is so very sad it breaks my heart!
    I am sitting here crying my eyes out as I look and read this post.
    Thank you piccaloo, so very much, for what you have done to help free/save these little guys, so that they have at least one free breath before they die.
    I have sent this some post to some people, two of them are now wanting to start hermie rescue.
    Please everyone, let this get out so these babies can be helped!!!
    What peopel do to our beloved animlas to make a buck is a disgrace.

3. piccaloooo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pblove:
    OH dear Lord,
    This is so very sad it breaks my heart!
    I am sitting here crying my eyes out as I look and read this post.
    Thank you piccaloo, so very much, for what you have done to help free/save these little guys, so that they have at least one free breath before they die.
    I have sent this some post to some people, two of them are now wanting to start hermie rescue.
    Please everyone, let this get out so these babies can be helped!!!
    What peopel do to our beloved animlas to make a buck is a disgrace. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i forgot to mention that i went back to the pet store on saturday, clipped shell in hand, and i talked to the girl that waited on me the night before. they do not have care sheets, which i am going to bring to them, as well as donating some shells to the ones they have now in painted shells. i will print pics and care sheets and go to all the stores in my area.

thecrabstreejournal.com has excellent care sheets, and i will link to them as soon as i find them.

4. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

If I may suggst a way for all of us to help?
    You can go to your local pet store, and ask if you can come and set up an educational exhibit one day a week, or month or whenever you can do it.
    I am taking a bulletitn board with pics and care sheets, cards from here to pass out so that hermie owners can come to this site and ask questions and read and learn!
    I am sure if you have a S.P.C.A. or local Humane Soceity they would also be willing to let you come and set up at their shelters too.
    All I did was go in person and speak to the manager at the store, she thoguht it was a great idea and welcomed it.

5. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

I don't even know what to say...I'm at a complete loss for words, and though I may not be good with words I usually always find a way to say it...
    Well, here goes...
    UGH!
    How could people do this to living creatures? How can people be so wrapped up with money that they have NO REGARD for Nature? How can so many people just NOT CARE?

You are all right...something has to be done! We cannot let this go on any further. I start tomorrow night (Tuesday) working at our local Petco. They have (overall) good conditions, good substrate, branches, salt and fresh water, and plentiful food. Temp and humidity are as good as can be expected with the tank being open so often for customers. They too have a lot of hermies in painted shells, but that is how they come shipped, and they provide natural shells to switch. I will be getting this thread printed to bring to my friend who helped me get the job. They already have our business cards, but I will make sure customers will get them when they purchase a crab.
    Thank you so much for putting so much time and effort into doing what you are to help these poor little guys. I actually can't thank you enough.

6. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Wow, that is crazy. I'm going to have to pay closer attention when I go in the stores, and make sure I'm not passing up any that really need help. Piccaloooo, you rock!

7. piccaloooo

[​IMG]
    my first rescue was mousse. he was just this old man crab, missing an eye...hairy pinchers. and the football shell he was in was chipped and FAR too small. there was no tucking in available for mousse. he was a huge crab, he reminded me of a grampa. the color of chocolate. he was in the kiosk, and i saw him, held him, put him back, picked him back up, put him back and left. and cried for two hours. i went back to rescue him and it was the best thing i've done for hermit crabs thus far. he looked at me and crawled straight into my heart. i felt his soul, you know? a gentle giant. he tackled that new shell...
    [​IMG]
    and within minutes he was happy.
    [​IMG]
    his old shell smelled like maple syrup and it BROKE MY HEART to watch him *feelerfeeler* his old shell. i miss him so much. he lived for about a month with me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] RIP mousse

[​IMG]
    america and freedom minutes after being in their new home. before i knew freedom was stuck.
    [​IMG]
    stuck. and he was like that for at LEAST 6 weeks, because i remember him from my visit there with my sister, during her first hermit crab experience. my nephew commented on how big he is and cool soccer ball shell. at that point in time i was fairly new to all of this and it never occured to me that he was in prison.
    [​IMG]
    ugh, it was awful. my heart was clenched because i didn't know what i'd find if i got him free. it's like a birth, freeing these crabs. we meet eachother for the first time, in the very wrongest of ways.
    [​IMG]
    he's almost free.
    [​IMG]
    see the paint stuck to his knee? yep. i had a very very hard time getting that off of him.
    [​IMG]
    one eye still hidden. that seems to be how it goes. i get one half of them free, but it's SO scary, clipping in that area. for them and me both.
    [​IMG]
    he made me so sad.
    [​IMG]
    and here he is, the next...and his final morning. he passed so soon, but i'm just grateful i let him out.

[​IMG]
    this is crusty. i stole her. in a way. the kiosk owed me a few, since i didn't take all back that died. i have only a tiny bit of guilt for stealing her. but she was sick, and she'd be tossed in the garbage as soon as they found out. i don't know what the crust was, but eventually i was able to remove it gently. she too, died.

[​IMG]
    this is clover. her shell was so small and stupid that all she could do is lay down. i'd set her up right, and she'd crawl over to me (this was when the kiosk was FUUUUULLLLL) and i'd say, please don't do that and set her over the water dish so she could drink, and keep looking at all the other crabs, and then here she comes again, falling over, but trying to get to me. so weak, and so sweet. so i said, FINE, and took her home. she's currently down under, molting. [​IMG] in a shell that is perfect.

[​IMG]
    tucker. this picture speaks for itself.
    [​IMG]
    so very tightly bound. his shell was so thick...and he was sooo big for it. it broke my heart to try to free him. again, i had no idea what i'd find when he was out.
    [​IMG]
    we persevered. flake by flake by flake by flake...and eventually he started moving.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] i told him it was nice to finally meet him.
    [​IMG]
    happy birthday tucker.
    [​IMG]
    RIP tuck.

just a few more of my rescue stories.

and THEY are the reason i'm on a mission to save...one wee 'krabbiepattie' at a time.

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

A loss for words...is the only way to put it.

I was overwhelmed and crying when I read your post. I can't imagine how frightened these little crabs must be inside those dark shells unable to come out. Starving and suffocating to death. You must have been equally frightened trying to free them. I was elated to see Clipper in a new shell. I will be thinking about him daily and waiting to hear that he has come back up.

What would ever possess a person to paint a crabs shell while he/she was still in it? I have vowed not to buy anymore crabs until I find Cavies, but I may just have to do a few rescues now that my ISO has been vacated. I don't know how in the world I would go about freeing a crab-but I suppose I would learn.

I am disturbed, frustrated, angered and saddened all at the same time about the conditions of the crabs you have found. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such a compassionate human being with the persistence and patience of a saint to help another living creature. You are an inspiration to us all.

9. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I have a lot to say about all of this, but again, Thank YOU picc for helping these pitiful angels!
    This is why I feel crabs should no longer be sold, yes we all love them, yes, people(not all though) on the boards take good care of them, but, is it worth it for so very, very many to be mutilated and murdered?? NO it is NOT.
    Picc, you have a job now, a very important and much needed job to do. Once this rescue gets into your heart, and I know it is in your heart, you will never be able to go back, forget, rest or relax again, always have to save one more! No pay, lots of heartache, but the few moments of reward are more then words can say!
    I have been doing rescue for close to 25 years now. At times it got so bad, I thought I could not go on another day, but then you look into one of the rescue animals eyes, and somehow, someway, you gather the strength to do one more rescue. Do it one more day.
    You should see some of the poor dogs that we get in, collars grown into their skin from never being resized, hair so matted they cannot walk, just tumble on the floor until they are tranquilized and shaved, laying out in the freezing cold snow,in their own excrements, bleeding from where their foot pads have literally been pulled off when they try to walk and free themselves, no food, and you can hear a clanging bowl, the dog is trying to break the ice and telling you it needs water. Or the ones that are "baked" until they are dehydrated, tied up with the sweltering heat and no water to drink, let alone shade.
    It goes on and on with our beloved creatures, and it is always people that are to blame!
    All for people's pleasure these animals suffer.
    I know it will not be stopped, but so very important to rescue an aninmal every chance you get.
    PLEASE, don't buy, while rescue/shelter animals die!!
    Sorry to ramble on, but it has hit my heart and people need to help all they can. You cannot close your eyes and pretend you did not see or hear about all of this abuse, the animals need each and every one of us to pull for them.
    PLEASE, do not turn your backs on a creature in need.

10. piccaloooo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kuplakrabs:
    A loss for words...is the only way to put it.

I was overwhelmed and crying when I read your post. I can't imagine how frightened these little crabs must be inside those dark shells unable to come out. Starving and suffocating to death. You must have been equally frightened trying to free them. I was elated to see Clipper in a new shell. I will be thinking about him daily and waiting to hear that he has come back up.

What would ever possess a person to paint a crabs shell while he/she was still in it? I have vowed not to buy anymore crabs until I find Cavies, but I may just have to do a few rescues now that my ISO has been vacated. I don't know how in the world I would go about freeing a crab-but I suppose I would learn.

I am disturbed, frustrated, angered and saddened all at the same time about the conditions of the crabs you have found. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such a compassionate human being with the persistence and patience of a saint to help another living creature. You are an inspiration to us all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, the first two took two hours...clipper took a full three hours. three hours of trauma, torture, fear, and hopefully...hope. quite honestly, he looked pretty good considering. far better than tucker or freedom. freedom basically died free. tucker tried to hang on, but it's just SO brutal and traumatic for them. and i am totally gentle when i do this. i cannot say in words how daunting a task it is. it's literally flake by flake, and it takes forever. i don't know any other way to free them. i was a nail technician in my former life, and i have a very steady hand, thank goodness...but when i stabbed his leg i wanted to die.

i really don't know if he will survive, i'm taking the fact that he changed shells so quickly, and buried as a good sign. freedom never made it that far, and i don't think tucker did either. i've gone through so much hell for these crabs, and i NEED one of my rescues to make it with flying colors. patrick was the lone survivor of my first three crabs, and he molted successfully then left his shell and died.
    [​IMG]
    RIP patrick.

all i can say is that of the ones i've rescued, there are thousands more like them that don't ever get so lucky. you know what's going to happen? we're going to wipe out the entire hermit crab population. yet another creature will be extinct at the hands of man. and i just don't know what to do about it.

what i want is information on LAWS, and WHO is responsible for the welfare of them. i need to start making phone calls, and taking my newly charged anger to higher levels. i can't go into a pet store without helping a potential owner. one a week, maybe. out of the way too many that buy without any knowledge.

one more thing...all the rescues have been purple pinchers. i've had nothing but luck with my E's and ruggies, and i only had one indo die. also, my cavies do well... i have 2.

i won't stop doing this, i can't. like i said, i can only take the ones in need. the ones that are ugly, missing limbs, weak. oh, i have plenty of beautiful crabs, but a good majority needed to get here before that happened.
    [​IMG]
    marigold. only her little butt fit in that shell. barely, at that.
    [​IMG]
    SO cute and SO hungry she was.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    miss america. she was given to my sister from her son's friend. they had their two crabs for two years, and obviously didn't offer new shells. oh, and they were fed dog food. ugliest little crab i've ever seen.
    [​IMG]
    HOORAY FOR MOLTS!! miss america, on the right. [​IMG] she had an extreme makeover.

11. piccaloooo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pblove:
    I have a lot to say about all of this, but again, Thank YOU picc for helping these pitiful angels!
    This is why I feel crabs should no longer be sold, yes we all love them, yes, people(not all though) on the boards take good care of them, but, is it worth it for so very, very many to be mutilated and murdered?? NO it is NOT.
    Picc, you have a job now, a very important and much needed job to do. Once this rescue gets into your heart, and I know it is in your heart, you will never be able to go back, forget, rest or relax again, always have to save one more! No pay, lots of heartache, but the few moments of reward are more then words can say!
    I have been doing rescue for close to 25 years now. At times it got so bad, I thought I could not go on another day, but then you look into one of the rescue animals eyes, and somehow, someway, you gather the strength to do one more rescue. Do it one more day.
    You should see some of the poor dogs that we get in, collars grown into their skin from never being resized, hair so matted they cannot walk, just tumble on the floor until they are tranquilized and shaved, laying out in the freezing cold snow,in their own excrements, bleeding from where their foot pads have literally been pulled off when they try to walk and free themselves, no food, and you can hear a clanging bowl, the dog is trying to break the ice and telling you it needs water. Or the ones that are "baked" until they are dehydrated, tied up with the sweltering heat and no water to drink, let alone shade.
    It goes on and on with our beloved creatures, and it is always people that are to blame!
    All for people's pleasure these animals suffer.
    I know it will not be stopped, but so very important to rescue an aninmal every chance you get.
    PLEASE, don't buy, while rescue/shelter animals die!!
    Sorry to ramble on, but it has hit my heart and people need to help all they can. You cannot close your eyes and pretend you did not see or hear about all of this abuse, the animals need each and every one of us to pull for them.
    PLEASE, do not turn your backs on a creature in need. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

my god...ugh. no words, except a reciprocated heartfelt thank you. i'd save the entire animal kingdom if i had the means. but again, one at a time.

i wholeheartedly agree with the cease of sale of crabs. you know how tired i get of hearing, MOMMY I WANT A SPONGE BOB SNAIL! uh. no. they're HERMIT CRABS and not a toy. one lady was wooshing her hand through the kiosk looking for one she wanted. wooshing the crabs to and fro. before i raged, i had to leave. i couldn't even SPEAK. ugh.

i just think that if everyone comes together on this, we can and will make a difference. maybe not right away, but it CAN be done, and i'll do anything i am able to see that things change.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

What a pathetic world in which we live. We have kind people out there on crusades to better the world. And as minor/minuit the Hermit Crab may seem to some. It is still a living growing creature from God. I APPLAUD my sister for being one of the biggest Hermit Crab crusaders. She got involved with the heart breaking world of a disposable pets. They do not ask for or deserve the torture in which they recieve. Screw all, who has to hurt and torture a living thing to make a buck. I hope they all die a grueling painful lasting death without a dollar in there pocket. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents....and applaud everyone who makes a difference in this world. My sister for ONE.

13. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>i've gone through so much hell for these crabs, and i NEED one of my rescues to make it with flying colors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Oh, piccaloooo, bless your heart.
    I have rescued and re-habed many animals that have found their way literally to my door. Stories like yours that I have found too heartbreaking to even repeat. I got a canary that was so abused that it was pathetic. I cared for him and he turned out to be the most angelic creature I've ever rescued. Soothing to the soul. How he kept his song, due to the hands of humans, I'll never know. When he was dying I found a vet to help me put him to sleep as I had gone through other birds dying in my arms and didn't want to do that again. Not many vets in my immediate area will put a small bird to sleep. As this gentle vet took the canary from my hands and returned his body to me, I was in tears and told him that I cannot possibly rescue one more animal. Not one. My heart breaks a little bit more with each passing one. He looked and me and said,"Don't feel that way. I believe God sends these little creatures to people like you so that they can die with dignity. Even if they've found their way to you only for a moment."
    Please let these words find their way to your heart, as they did mine that day. cj

14. piccaloooo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CJ:
    How he kept his song, due to the hands of humans, I'll never know. As this gentle vet took the canary from my hands and returned his body to me, I was in tears and told him that I cannot possibly rescue one more animal. Not one. My heart breaks a little bit more with each passing one. He looked and me and said,"Don't feel that way. I believe God sends these little creatures to people like you so that they can die with dignity. Even if they've found their way to you only for a moment."
    Please let these words find their way to your heart, as they did mine that day. cj <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[​IMG] your post made me cry.

i'm certain they're sent, it happens time and time and time again. i wish i was able to save them all. thank you for what you've done, and will likely continue to do. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>thank you for what you've done, and will likely continue to do <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and truly the same to you, piccaloooo! [​IMG]

16. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Thanks Piccaloo for making this post available in such detail (Photos) for others to see as they to (Lets hope not) may stumble across a hermie in this horrible situation & may be able to recognize the problem to help.

Although it is sad that you even had to make a post like this due to someone's "inconsiderate" ignorance it will end up in the library in a month or so as I think it is a great reference.

What you have done is very courageous, You must have been a nervous wreck.

Regards,
    Cappa

[​IMG]

17. piccaloooo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappa:
    Thanks Piccaloo for making this post available in such detail (Photos) for others to see as they to (Lets hope not) may stumble across a hermie in this horrible situation & may be able to recognize the problem to help.

Although it is sad that you even had to make a post like this due to someone's "inconsiderate" ignorance it will end up in the library in a month or so as I think it is a great reference.

What you have done is very courageous, You must have been a nervous wreck.

Regards,
    Cappa

[​IMG] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[​IMG]

i don't get nervous when i do it, i am just determined. what DOES make me nervous is when i'm almost there and i'm near their eyes, the rest of it just keeps me going on sheer determination.

i posted a link to this post to two yahoogroups and the crabstreetjournal. just trying to spread the word. [​IMG]

18. Guest

Guest Guest

WOW...maybe i should consider doing that as well ^ ^ it would break my heart, yet to know im saving a crab would make me feel better....next time i visit the kiosk, ill bring home a stuck hermie, in home to free him, or her, and give him/her the best life possible....just like you did
    ^ ^
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

HAPPY CRABBING ALL
    Brittany

19. Tammi\'scrabs

Tammi\'scrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Picaloooo, Bless you for going through this hell, and helping these defenceless creatures.
    As far as the laws go, you should be able to find your states laws online. If not, any Animal control Department or law enforcement agency will have a copy of Animal cruelty laws. I used to be in animal control, so if you need help, just let me know.
    Hope that helps

20. piccaloooo

update on clipper.

[​IMG]

he died yesterday. i'm not sure why, other than PPS, but i feel like i failed yet another one. i had such hope for him. he seemed to be doing so well. his eyes were up and clear and he was cohabitating with his new buddies quite well.

i picked up a cocohut and found him on top of about four others, and he was gone. ironically, i spent a lot of time yesterday afternoon printing out his first pictures (at work illegally, shh) to take to pet stores. i really thought with clipper i might have finally saved a stuck one, but i lost him too.

it makes me so sad, and even more mad that this happens. if we don't help control this hermit crab business in many ways, we all are going to be responsible for eventually making this creature extinct. even with our very best intentions and loving care we give them, our financial support of this business is only feeding the inhumane fire. SOMETHING has to be done. now.. because for every clipper out there i find, there are thousands more who die a suffering end, and even more thousands that may not be stuck, but SUFFER so long before they die. thrown away alive, bought from stores that don't know anything about this little creature and don't tell their customers anything for care. so the hermit crabs go to be imprisoned in horrible conditions. for the rest of their captive lives.

i can't stand it, it just breaks my heart. and something needs to change. now.

i'm going to email FMR with my stories, and pictures, and there is a 'warehouse' for wholesale (i found the link on www.ihavecrabs.com) and they too will get my message. i'm not done with this and i would greatly appreciate any help any of you are willing to. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.