1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painted shells&molting

Discussion in 'Shells' started by Bugaboo, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I've still got 1 stubborn hermie who hasn't changed out of his painted shell yet. I looked under the tank this morning (I know shame on me, but I just wanted to make sure everything was okay) and I saw that hermie looks like he has molted, I can see his exo. Think he'll chabge from his nasty painted shell once he's all done molting?? 

2. danofofano

danofofano "Never Molted"

He'd probably change, because he did grow from molting. I'd take the shell out once he is back and better than ever.

3. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

mine changed out of his painted shell as soon as I dropped shells from the tank o.o
    I dont buy crabs in painted shells, I get the ones with the shells that look like old worn down castles  :biglaugh:
    Try giving him more nonpainted shells his size when he comes up, he might appreciate it.
    I showed my crabs which shell I'd like them in, then told them I think they'd look great. Those ended up being the shells they picked.

I just bought more along with some net at Michaels =D
    So hopefully everyone will get some snazzy natural shells after I boil them

4. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I always keep bunches of shells in the tank. He's never changed, I'm hoping he will once he's donr molting. I just got excited this morning because day before yesterday he was just sprawled out (I could only see him from the bottom) and now his exo is dropped. I've never actually seen the process, so it was neat=) and he's one who spends most of his time under, so I'm hoping he'll be active too=)

5. Klabelle

yeah when my 1st one molted, I thought she was dead when I poked the exo and it crumbled, then I noticed she was all shiny in her shell and I was just gleaming xD
    I didn't really disturb her, she was quite far from the exo  :chuckle:
    Maybe try putting him near the shell pit to just be all *hint*hint* to him xD
    Thats what I did when I bought him a fancy shell, I just kept moving the she next to him/him to the shell and then he finally got the hint and moved into it. He likes it too =]

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You can look under the glass every once in a while but dont pick up the tank or shine a flashlight on it.
    I have a molter now and the bottom of the tank is open and I've looked a time or two.

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

have you tried different types of shells? Mine came in magpie shells, then went into conk type? Then I got a couple tapestry & that is all they will use now. I can put others in it they will flip them over, change into them & change right back into what they were in.

8. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well usually all mine like turbos, so that's what  have in the tank. The painted shell he is in now is a D shape opening. Maybe ill put some natural shells like the one he's in into the tank and see what happens.
    I can see why molting is mistaken for dead, seeing him from the bottom of the tank and one day he's upright, legs sprawled out, the next day all his legs are laying on the bottom. Kind of scared me at first.

9. Klabelle

it's kinda a cool process though if you think about it, sometimes I wish we could do that and look all shiny and new. I wonder if they feel better afterward  :idunno:

10. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Yeah it is. I like how their nails are all sharp and how hairy they are. I also like the feathers on their claws haha=) I bet they do feel better, i mean maybe not right after but once they get all their strength back

11. Klabelle

i have a problem though, im worried when they molt and im worried that my other 2 didnt molt @@ my big one will take at least a month or 2

12. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I get really worried too. A couple of mine were down almost 2 months and they're just mediums.

13. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Most of the Purple Pinchers like the Turbo (round opening the best).  Most of the E's like the D opening (sometimes called Oval).  They can be finicky little buggers sometimes though, and sometimes I think they just like a change.

It's good to keep a few of each in your tank.  On average at least 2 shells should be available to each crab.
    At last count I had 54 shells of varying sizes and shapes for them to go "shopping" for.  :chuckle:

I have a 75 gallon tank with 23 crabs, so it's enough to keep them busy all night long if they decide to spiff up a bit.
    That breaks down to 3 gallons of tank per crab, plus I have a wrap-around 2nd story.  Actually it is on one side of the tank and all along the back wall of the tank, except on the other end where the food and water dishes are.

I try not to put climbing things over the food and waters area because when I first started I had a few crabs come crashing down onto the ceramic dishes.  Not wanting them to get hurt, I don't put anything there anymore, but having a larger tank allows me the room to do that.

Here are a few shell sites that you can look at and even order from.  There may be more, and by all means add them on here if anyone knows of any or has had any experience with ordering from these.  Be careful to pay attention to the shipping costs, because some charge more than others.

Also, here are a few favorites of my TURBO loving crabs...

green jade, silver/ gold mouth, tapestry, pearl banded tapestry, and spotted turbo.  They won't touch a murex or a magpie, or the African turbo I thought was so pretty but OH so expensive!

http://elsshells.com

http://www.naplesseashellcompany.com

http://www.seashellcity.com

14. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just a little thought about painted shells...
    Katz said she didn't buy crabs that were in painted shells, and I understand what you're saying, but I figure that the Hermies in the painted shells need to get out and into a natural shell.

It usually doesn't take tooo long to change, especially when they trust their surroundings more.  There have been members who have said their crab changed into a non-painted shell almost right away, and in the middle of the tank in broad daylight.

But to each his own when it comes to picking Hermies for adoption.  The little guys are just thrilled to be going home to a much happier enviroment with love and care.  :straw:

15. Klabelle

Mine changed shells while I had 6 people watching xD
    Some of mine changed shells day I got them, I was so proud that they were that comfy.
    But it is weird that he hasnt opted to change out xD I think the natural are prettier. My mom and I got into a disagreement about painted shells. She likes them, I think they're disgusting

As for the painted shells, at the pet store, most of them look kinda deadish and they're bigger and scare me D= plus im afraid they'll be stuck!

16. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

when I said mine like turbos, I should of stated that mine like the O openings to, over the D ones. Once they get a shell & type they like it is like they get stuck on the kind!

17. Klabelle

mine havent really picked their type, I buy mainly O openings because they look cute, roomier and look like they have more room to move, wriggle, and breathe and  :hermzpoo: