1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our Trip To Petco... ..

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Eric, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

We went to Petco tonight and picked up 3 new hermies. One is a micro black Ruggie. Another is a very outgoing Indo around medium in size. Last but not least is a all PINK small to medium ruggie, jenny wwanted him. I guess it is a girl thing. I do admit pink crabs are cool. I must also say i was thrilled with the condtions at the new petco we went to today in Philadelphia. Just outstanding. A+ for this PETCO.

CAPPA

2. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Awwwwwwwwwwww thats awsome new kids.. [​IMG] They sound soooo sweet those teeny micros are way way to adorable very hard to resist.. [​IMG]The pink one sounds very pretty. Congrats on the new kids.. [​IMG] Must be nice to have a Petco close by and thats very good to here there conditions was good..

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

The PetCo in West Seneca, NY isn't too great [​IMG]
    The humidity was at 30% and the 1/2" of substrate material was dry as a bone. No sponges, no food, both salt and fresh water dishes~however, too high for the little guys to reach. There was some dry moss for them to hide under-wooopie. They do have guages. I have mentioned the humidity level the first time I was in the store and it went up from 40 to 60 before I left the store, so I was disappointed to find it at 30% this time when I went in. I live about 30 miles away from the store and usually have my wriggling daughter with me, so it is close to impossible to carry on a conversation with the store personnel when she is with me. She usually escalates into screaming if I don't keep moving with her....she is so not like my son [​IMG] I am in the process of drafting a letter to send to them and let them know about the poor conditions of their store.

4. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG]Our Petco here in Arnold isn't bad but the one in Fenton (about 10 min. from here) is aweful. The employees all scatter when they see me coming.. [​IMG]

5. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

LOL @ they all scatter when they see you coming Supermom. That is great. That means you scare them. Hope it helps them clean up there acts. What makes me most mad is when I see a bad pet store is it usually is due to laziness then lack of knowledge. Some people just do not care!

Cappa [​IMG]

6. SuperMom

You are so right Cappa, that petco makes me crazy. I did actually meet one guy there that did seem to care and even took notes [​IMG]. He did a great job getting everything right but I haven't seen him there since [​IMG]and a couple days after I leave it's back to the who cares. [​IMG]

Now the Petco here in Arnold is really pretty good (a little high on temp but were working on it).

7. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

The best thing we can do is one store at a time! We need to get the word out there, and get stores to start giving the correct info to hermit crab buyers!

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Some people just do not care!

Cappa [​IMG] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sad thing is, we aren't asking them to love hermies like we do, just asking for them to treat them in a humane manner so they can survive.

9. its_rosie

its_rosie Hi, I'm New Here!

I feel a certain sense of "responsibility" to rescue the hermies I see at the local Petco. There are always little flies buzzing about the enclosure. The crabs never have all of their extremities (my daughter says that Petco's motto should be "Petco --- where the legs go"). During my last visit, I observed over 10 legs (not molted ones!) and two big pichers (*gasp!*) just lying there. When I mentioned to the employee that it was a bad sign to see so many actual hermie legs in there, he smiled and joked, "I hear that the legs are really great steamed". I almost collapsed.

10. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Hello Rosie and WELCOME aboard, awwwwwwwwwwww thats so sad to here that about your Petco, i would be furious as well [​IMG] And if i would have herd that guy say that i would have really lost it.. [​IMG] [​IMG] Some people i tell ya cold hearted and have no feelings about the care and welfare of a living animal. Maybe with you saying something to them and checking back and staying on top of it they might change there ways of housing and care.

11. SuperMom

Hi Rosie, Welcome glad you decided to join. This is truely a great place with lots of great people.

I'm so sorry to hear about your RUDE Petco exsperience. I would have lost my temper and probably started yelling and causing a scene. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I would have to say that what I am noticing is that the worst stores are the small locally owned ones. There was one that I went into where I had the worst urge to throw a bucket of cold water at the lady I was talking to, to really get her attention. I had called her over to discuss the fact that the "hermit bites" pellets contained a poison, but also that a micro sized crab CANNOT comfortably eat a pellet half as long as himself. I was given a really rude look and told "They eat it just fine." Then she just walked away. I'm going back there when I take my Christmas trip, and I have to say if they dont have a humitity guage, salt water, and more suitable food (at least crushed up a bit) I'm going to go straight to the owner. Most of the ones that I have visited dont have saltwater. Unfortuately at most of them I havent had any of the care sheets along with me. Only one pet stores I've visited actually accepted the url for this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.