1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our First Molt

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by MommyLAS, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommyLAS

MommyLAS Hi, I'm New Here!

My son (6) has been taking care of his crabs for a little over a year now. We just had our first molt. It was crazy because "hearty" molted INSIDE the water dish on the sponge. He is doing very well. We put him in ISO and have left him alone with food and water. His pincher is turning that pretty purple now. How long should he stay in ISO after molting?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

Molting in the water dish does not sound normal. What kind of substrate do you have in the tank? To help him recover faster, you might want to crush up apart of an egg shell and put it in his food. As to when to release him from ISO, I would once he is moving around again.

3. MommyLAS

Thanks Jason. I have aquarium rocks in my tank. I used those because that is what came with the kit we got on vacation, but I've realized by reading on this site that I need coconut fiber or sand. I'll take care of that ASAP. My little guy seems to be doing well. He is eating and moving around quite a bit. He ate almost all of his exo (except the big claw) and has picked at some of the fruits and veggies I leave for him. We have 6 hermies and I'm excited to see what they will do when we get sand or coconut fiber for them.

I've also realized that we have the wrong KIND of shells for our guys. I need the kind with round openings and most of ours are oblong. (Guess that's why they dont change much) We live in Arkansas and we dont have many pet shops around here. Does anyone order shells online and where do you all recommend?

(We were on vacation and thought the crabs were cool. Now we need to know how to take care of the little bugers)

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

The aquarium rock is probably the reason the little guy molted on top, rather then digging down. A pet store will use aquarium rocks rather then sand since it will keep the crabs on top for the customer to see. The way they look at it, it would hard to sell the crabs if they were hiding under the sand. The only problem is that the pet stores do not tell people how to care for them once they take them home.

Not all play sand is the same. I recently purchased some from the building supply store that I could not even use. If you have a Home Depot close, maybe give them a try. The local Home Depot sells play sand in a plastic bag that is pre-washed and sterilized. The washed part is the most important since you will want to bake it before use it. The pre-washed sand eliminates the fine dust particles from the sand.

Jason

5. MommyLAS

Bake your sand? (geeze, I have a lot to learn) We do have a Home Depot about an hour from here. ....I love that store....

I went ahead and put him with the other hermies last night. He seems to be adjusting well. He cozied up in the hermie hut before morning.

So, I need to put some baked sand down for my babies? How long do I bake this sand and how deep should it be?

(I'm sure if they could our hermies would send you a thank you card for your help!)

6. Jason

Jason Moderator

I forgot to mention that an alternative would be to boil it. I just find it easier to bake it.

You will need to bake it at about 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 to 45 minutes. You want to bake it until there is no moisture left. Depending on how much you are baking at once, you might need to mix it up while baking.

When you ask about how deep should it be, do you mean when baking or in the tank?

Jason

7. MommyLAS

In the tank? How deep should the sand be? I just want our little guys to be happy!!!

("Hearty" thought about changing shell.... He was completely inside a larger shell - his shell and all - sneaky little guy! Generally hide-n-seek is in the hut, not another shell!)

8. LHC-lover

LHC-lover Hi, I'm New Here!

www.paradisepetsupply.com. is a great place for shells they even list the opening size and they are very affordable.
    The sand shloud be deep enough that the crabs can dig, burry and tunnel in the sand.
    I have never baked or boiled sand, that seems like a waste of time. If you buy sand, stating playsand safe for children/animals and is washed, screened and or sterilized it should be fine. Buy sand that is stored indoors, away from chemicals, pick bags that are sealed and dry. Then you do not have to do a thing. Make sure it is not masonry or construction type sand. If it is wet or damp I wouldn't use it but bring it back to the store which I have done before.

He possibly molted in the water dish due to the stones/gravel and maybe the humdity is not comfortable enough for him.. I would also go to the bird section of a pet store and get a cuttlebone, possibly the link above has some. Cuttle bone is the ultimate of natural calcium sourses as well as shrimp skins.

Definatly get some gauges too, they are on the website, and the temp shloud be 76-82 degrees F and the humdity 75%-85% relative

Good Luck!
    Kev.

9. LHC-lover

LHC-lover Hi, I'm New Here!

Another thought....if anyone is in Canada, they need to be certain of shipping & duty costs prior to ordering from referred site & Home Depot in Canada has had bad shipments of playsand for some time - try a local hardware store or garden supply.
    The resaoson why I say this is because if individuals are from Canada reading this thread, as I have stayed in Canada for college and had forgotten about Duty costs and was suprised one time with quite a bill!

Kev.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  10. Jason

Jason Moderator

Duty and shipping is always a pain, and a crap shoot. My last shipment of shells had no duty or taxes on them. I was expecting to at least have to pay the GST, but they arrived with no added charges.

Don't know how long ago the "bad sand" was that you received, but the last couple bags I purchased from Home Depot were great. No matter where you purchase it thou, you really want to buy play sand that is prewashed. It is a real time saver.

Jason

11. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Hmm...
    I've never baked my sand. I use regular play sand from Ace hardware. It is kinda dusty but the crabs take care of that soon enough. They won't quit duping the water dish. The wet sand eliminates the dust. I have very happy crabs. I only wish I could keep the sand dryer. They dump it all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.