1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our 29 gal. Hope we did it right!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by mizshelh, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mizshelh

mizshelh Hi, I'm New Here!

Since this pic was taken we have changed the food bowls to a much bigger "rock looking" dish. Feel free to make suggestions on improvements!!

[​IMG]

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

1. I'd get deeper substrate(atleast on one end)
    2. Deeper water dishes
    3. Fake vines, plants as they love to climb(can suction cup them to the top of the tank)
    4. I think those are apple slices, I'd keep food off the substrate as you have cocofiber in there and mold will happen when food touches it

You got a great amount of huts! Few more shells to offer to them, and they'd be set. Other then that ya did good!

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Yes I echo Vicki........ :D

4. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I would also add a 2nd level, they just look so cool and the crabs love to climb so it would be great for them. I use soap dishes from the dollar store that have suction cups on them and wrap the fake vine with leaves around them so they feel more secure and can kinda hide better. Oh yeah the gauges are up way to high, they are better at substrate level so you get a more accurate reading where the crabs hang out the most. Otherwise it looks so nice and I would do what Vicki said too.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

IF that is commercial food then that is toxic to them but I agree with everyone elses suggestions and they look great.

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

That looks awesome and you hermit crabs are so adorable! I agree with Vicki and Chermo's suggestions. I see a red shell in the picture, though, just making sure it's not painted. If it is painted, take it out immediately! If the paint chips off your hermit crabs can eat it.

7. cococrisp

Oh yeah I did not notice that. I think there may also be a shiny black one in the right back corner.

8. mizshelh

I have taken out the painted shells as soon as the crabs moved on to a natural one. I just feel so sorry for those painted guys I have to rescue them. I also ordered some more natural shells from Napels.

I just learned about the commercial crab food. I have ordered some new ones to try from hermitcrabaddition store and have been giving them some organic fruits, veggies I know they can have.

Sound good?:)

9. mizshelh

Also added vines and deeper pool for them. Working on the second level. Added background behind tank. Trying to keep food off substrate but the little guys keep moving it. Getting better food for them. Taking out the painted shells as soon as they move to the natural ones. Thanks for the help!

10. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

My hermies dump the food onto the eco earth, too. It's kind of irritating. Where can you buy vines for a cheap price? I only have fake plants in the tank, and my hermies don't climb them unless I put them on.

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

Vines can be found at dollar stores, Michaels or any craft stores that has plants. If they contain a wire you can cut the wire out if it's exposed.

12. cococrisp

My crabs also like to chill in moss. It also creates humidity if that is something you lack.

13. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

You may be able to find some plants that are vine like at your local Walmart for $3 and up. The climbing vines that many buy are the ones at your local pet store, and are not really cheap - they can run from $8 and up, or somewhere around there.
    If you or someone you know can knit or crochet, you could pick up some natural hemp twine in the craft section at your Walmart store and knit or crochet some hemp nets for them to climb on. There is no end to the creativity when you start knitting your own hemp nets. I cannot find it right now, but I have a link (I'm on a different computer) to a website with clear instructions for how to knit several types of nets for your crabitat. Hemp is excellent as it resists mold growth in the moist environment of your crab's home. Make sure if you do get the hemp you get the natural hemp, not dyed, as the color fixatives that are used can be harmful or deadly to your hermies who nibble on everything.
    I will find that link and post it soon!
    Oh, also, you could find a store with some plastic corner shower caddies with suction cups to use for a second level, pick up some moss (not spanish moss, it is actually cedar and bad for hermies) and moisten it in salt water and make a moss pit for your hermies. This helps with humidity in the tank, too. You could make a net for them to climb up to it, or even lean one of your cholla wood on it for them to climb on it (make sure to secure it so it doesn't topple over!).
    Hope this helps!

14. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Better than mines!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.