1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organic Foods

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by vckums, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've been a hermit crab owner for almost 2 years now(October) and wanted only the best for my hermit crabs. I started up an Ebay store in January that sells organic food items as well as Julia Crabs Epicurean food line. (Kerie's the best!)
    I do have quite a big selection, but was wondering if any members had other ideas on things I can offer?

2. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

Could you post a link to your store on Ebay? Maybe you could find some good shells or calcium stuff to sell ocasionally.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Vckums store is FAB~! My crabbies love her stuff :)

4. frozenbarb

frozenbarb Hi, I'm New Here!

cud u post a link of the ebay store?

5. Jason

Jason Moderator

The link is posted in the Crabby Links section.

Jason

6. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Hi, I'm New Here!

I purchased 16 different items from Vicki's store! My crabbies especially like the seaweeds, bee pollen, brine shrimp eggs, and the flowery fruit fantasy. I like that they come in small, inexpensive portions. That way, it is easy to reorder the most popular items.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  7. frozenbarb

there so much food to buy i need some suggestion of which ones arre the best

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

You guys rock!

Well if you want a calcium source, I offer cuttlebone treats. It's powdered cuttlebone with essences added.

If you are looking for a great dry kibble, I sell the Epicurean Hermit Cuisine line. There's a few choices there.

If your crabs need proteins I offer a protein pack, individual packs of shrimp,fish,mealworms and earthworms. The earthworms were the grossest to package.Ugh

Fruits? Veggies? Nuts? I got those as well...On the ebay store site I have it all broken down into powders, proteins etc. Find out what you want to spend, and make a list of the items that interest you. Post them here and everyone can chime in and give their 2 cents on it.

9. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Vicki's store is DA BOMB! Honestly, there is nothing bad there at all, the Hermies will love everything. I've bought some stuff and won some stuff from her store and all of it is fantastic. Believe me, I WILL order again and this time the order will be huge 'cause I want one of everything!!!!!

10. frozenbarb

i brought stuff but i ahvent tryed it yet i hope its good n also the red clover seeds am i surpose to plant them or not?

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

You can plant them or you can put in the food bowl

12. reader101

reader101 Banned

I've tried a lot of different home treats with my hermies, but I've never seen such a reaction as when I put fresh pieces of apple in the tank! They even scorned their then-favourite treat of goldfish, which even the molters will pop up for and drag back to their hidie - with barely a skeleton left the next day. My friendly neighbourhood aquarium store keeps me well stocked with individually frozen, fresh fish, as they would only flush them anyway. Also, you might be surprised at the items aquarium stores carry that you can use, such as freeze dried plankton, bloodworms, water-friendly ornaments. Worth checking out!

13. HermieNewbies

HermieNewbies Hi, I'm New Here!

Aaaaaaaa! Too many options...... can't decide.....

14. reader101

reader101 Banned

:D
    You don't have to. As long as you know it's on the "safe" list, the more variety you provide, the better! You'll soon learn what they do and don't like. General consensus though, is that natural is better by far - they don't eat food pellets in the wild, and love the variation you can provide them. Mine had a new treat of pure pomegranite juice last night - clam shells are empty this am, and best part is it's not sticky. Ever make popcorn? Watch the non-salted/buttered kernals disappear! You can probably find/make a large portion of a balanced diet from your own kitchen. Calcium? Ground egg shells, shrimp shells, cuttlebone. Protein? Fresh, unseasoned chicken, fish , meat...and definately vegs - raw (grated baby carrots) and lots of fruit (apples, coconut, bananas). If we followed the Canada's Food Guide as well as our hermies, we'd be a lot healthier! (Except we would probably eat it sooner - remember, they're scavengers, and often prefer day-old food, such as a (deceased) goldfish.
    Check threads for safe/unsafe foods for more. If in doubt, wait a day and ask first.

15. shmama

shmama Hi, I'm New Here!

I have bought from Hermit crab addiction (twice) on ebay & LOVE IT! I had :confused: no idea where to start, but Vcums was very helpful & she has a very impressive inventory of organic foods & treats. Items arrived very quickly & beautifully packaged. I give my HIGHEST Recommendation! It's like Crab Christmas!!!
    :rolleyes:I think my X-tra Large Strawberry Crabs favorites are the earthworm castings, pink shrimp, tiny mysis shrimp, dried krill, & the dried caldula (spell?) flowers. The smaller bagged portions are fantastic in both the fact that they stay fresher & are much more affordable!
    ;)
    I also add a refreshable layer of crushed oyster shells inside a (new) small clay pot that is almost have buried sideways, so the crabs can go in like a hut , but you can see them a little better; they will sit in there for hours absorbing the calcium from the shell bits. (plus the red clay pots help hold a bit of moisture for the tank & add some variety to the tank without taking up that much space & I leave enough substate under it that they can still burrow tunnels).
    I feel MUCH safer feeding my hermies organic foods (I still serve them a small amount of basic diet staple food regularly, but mostly switch around on the organic foods). It was so Great to find a store with such a variety & with a person so pleasant to deal with!
    ~ All the Best to my fellow hermie fans! ~shmama :)

16. vckums

vckums Moderator

Aww thanks! I am moving the Ebay store. The fees are too high now, and it's taking away the profit which I use to get more items for the store. Its still up right now, and Im working on the new store and putting up the products. In about a week I will move it and post the new link here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.