1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organic Baby Foods...

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by chermo, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I bought some organic baby foods yesterday with chicken and vegetables and was wondering one of the ingredients is Organic brown rice flour, is that ok? I was not sure about rice and flour. It is all pureed so there are no chunks in it of rice either. Both of them have it in there and I wanted to make sure before giving it to them tonight that it is ok.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've fed the baby foods, it's fine to feed.

3. chermo

I was just wondering because I couldn't find if they can have brown rice and flour so I wanted to make sure first. Thanks

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Brown rice is actually better to give them then white rice.

5. chermo

Great thanks vckums. I want to warn everyone wanting to try organic baby foods. I just found out that it is very messy. Kermi decided to climb through the dish to get to the other side now there is baby food all over her shell and the sand. I have to figure out a better way to feed it to them. Maybe a shell with one option. I have apple sauce, and a small spoonful of each baby food I bought in the food dish with some dried coconut and a peice of chicken neck that I cooked up for them the other night and a dried piece of apple. VERY MESSY

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

You could try using a bigger plate/bowl to serve it in. Not sure how big your tank is, maybe a saucer?

7. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I put it in a milk lid, so they could stick their little claws and scoop it out but not drag themselves through it. But I don't know how big your crabs are, tiny ones could just fall into the lid anyways.

8. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I remember reading someone hand-feeding baby food with the lid to a cheap pen. You know, how it's kind of shaped like a spoon?

9. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

At the Crabbage Patch. I read that. She sells special feeding spoons too.

10. Agustus&Nigel

Agustus&Nigel (Micro Crab)

I've heard people feeding hermies with toothpicks also.

I give my hermies baby food and have never had any problems with messes. Nigel loves to go on "rampages" and tip things over that can be tipped.

11. chermo

I just put it in a shell that we have, my daughter collects shells on the beach (not the ones that hermies can use though) and we used one of those and I just offered 1 last night instead of all 3. Tonight will be a different one. I wonder since I am not feeding to a baby how long do you think I can keep it in the fridge for before throwing it away? I really don't have anything at the moment to freeze them in for later use. I want to get those candy dishes that you put the melted chocolate in and let harden then put the food in those and freeze. Much smaller than ice cube trays.

12. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I know people who freeze baby foods in ice cubes for use later.

13. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I put mine in a small zip lock bag, smooth it out somewhat flat, then lay it in the freezer. After it freezes, you can break off as much as you want and give to them. If I remember ahead of time, I let the piece thaw on a paper towell and that absorbs the liquid.

14. chermo

Thats a great idea, I will do that until I get the candy trays. I really think it would be cute to make a shape to their baby food.

15. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

I've been wanting to get something smaller than an ice tray to freeze food too, What type of candy dish can you use? & where would I get it from? I think that sounds perfect! I feed my crabs baby food too, & your right it can get messy :D But, I sometimes will mix in a little bit of Plain dry oats & it gives the baby food a little more "thickness" & that helps some with the mess. (a little bit :) What baby foods do your crabs like the most? I've had some luck with sweet potato's & a few other's. & then I've offered some they didn't touch. I was curious about what your crabs perfer, So I can try them with my crabs too!
    Also, I Love the idea of using a zip lock baggie McKenny! That is Genius~! I realized a couple weeks ago that I really need 2 start freezing foods for them. Seems like it will be a lot easier, plus food won't go 2 waste so fast. Thank you both so much for the Great idea's!

16. chermo

I know that you can get the candy trays in the craft store by where they sell the chocolate making stuff. I figured if you can make candy in them you can freeze baby foods in them. I have not really found a baby food they eat, just Kermi ate the organic applesauce but never touched the other ones. I got some that were sweet potato and a meat mixture. One was sweet potato, corn, squash and chicken and the other was sweet potato and chicken. Both they didn't touch. I have keep forgetting to get those trays but I forgot about the ziplock baggie so I will get more foods and do the ziplock baggie idea.

17. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

This is a bit off-topic, but I remember your name from Hermit Crab Association. I think it's great to belong to more than one forum, since you can get as much as twice the advice you
    re seeking!!

PS: On HCA I'm Grammarcia

18. chermo

I am on 7 different hermit crab forums. I am the same name on all of them. I have my top 4 sites I like the most and only visit the other 3 on occassion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.