1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orange Peels?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Tinkerbell, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell "Never Molted"

After finishing a couple absolutely yummy clementine oranges I looked at the peels and wondered if my hermies would like them. I know they aren't fond of citrus but the peel isn't really "citrus" is it? Just curious if anyone has ever tried giving a citrus peel to their hermies and how did they like it? I know some substrate is even made of degrading peel so wasn't sure.

2. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I dunno, I would think the only part that's really "safe" would be the whiter parts on the inside of the peels. The outsides tend to have stingy juices and other ucky stuff :/

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Crabs can actually have citrus. They tend to like it better if it's a bit older, as opposed to fresh, but it is listed on the safe foods list. I offer my crabs pineapple on a regular basis and have tried fresh orange too, but I can't say I've ever tried orange peel. I don't know if I'd try it, though, unless it was an organic product because orange/lemon/lime/etc. peels have been coated with all sorts of stuff to keep the bugs out of them and to keep them looking bright and perky so people will buy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.