1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions on crabitat

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by crazeecrabber103, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

[​IMG]
    I just wanted to get an opinion on my crabitat.I didn't get my crabs yet,so I'm open to any suggestions.There are shells over there in the upper right corner(they haven't been boiled yet,they're just there so I can get an idea of how much space they'd take up). I plan on putting fresh water with a sponge in the right bowl(over the UTH).The reddish bowl will be for salt water(with no sponge.I hear the salt eats away at the sponge).There's a piece of grapevine hidden behind the two silk plants.You can pretty much see the rest for yourself![​IMG]

oops,made a mistake...I'll be right back and hopefully the picture will show.

2. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

i love it! but i would reccomend getting a climbing back ground, ya know, those coconut thinges, i have one and my crabs just love climbing up and then back down it.

nice job on the tank

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

It does look nice! Perhaps as rodent111 said, get a few things for them to climb on-utilize your vertical space as well.

rodent111, keep a close eyeball on that climbing background...they are great but routinely inspect them for mold. I've read that a lot of people ended up getting mold on the backside of theirs with the high humidity in the tank.

4. crazeecrabber103

thanks you guys!They sell large pieces of grapevine at Home Depot really cheap,so I was thinking maybe I should just take a few things out and put the grapevine wood.[​IMG] Once again,thank you!!!!!

5. crazeecrabber103

I went to Home Depot 2day and got 2 nice big pieces of grapevine wood.They were 2.97 each.That's a pretty good price,considering a got a tiny piece of grapevine at a petstore for a 1.99(I got ripped off big time...lol).

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

What kind of substrate is that? Marine sand? I have some of that in my tanks, and my crabs really enjoy digging in it. If it's calci-sand, though, I wanted to warn you that it is STINKY when wet, and bad for digging in. However, calci-sand is good to put in a dish as a snack, so if that's what you have in there, it doesn't have to go to waste. [​IMG]

The grapevine will provide some climbing entertainment for your crabs! I reccomend soaking it in saltwater and then letting it dry out thoroughly before adding it to your tank. Grapevine is very mold-prone, but the saltwater will help keep that in check. I'd reccomend moistening the sand with saltwater a bit before adding the crabs, too. They will dampen the sand anyway so that they can make tunnels, and again, using salt the first time will reduce your risk of mold in the tank. Congrats on the new setup! [​IMG]

7. crazeecrabber103

Thanks!
    [​IMG]I have ocean sand in there(that's what it said on the bag!lol)Thanks for the tips on the grapevine and sand.I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

8. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Hey,

This is my first time posting on the site, so hello to everyone.

I was concerned, b/c it seems that most people have really large tanks compared to mine. I have a two gallon plastic (I know glass is better, but I'm running on limited parent controlled budget, look out next year in college) and it seemed pretty small. I only have three crabs, the biggest which is about the size of a large walnut. Is my tank too small?

Also...how damaging could using plastic be? We're having a pretty mild winter for Kansas and it's usually ok humidity-wise here.

Thanks!

9. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

The problem with plastic is that it is really hard to maintain proper humidity & temp levels in it. Try looking for a used tank in the newspaper or ebay even ask at your local pet store if they have any used tanks they want to get rid of. It doesn't matter if it isn't completely water tight, so they may have a leaker they would part with cheap. A ten gallon would be perfect & probably easy to find. In the mean time make sure the top of your tank is covered with plastic wrap, that will help keep the humidity up.
    What kind of heat source are you using?

10. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

It's all taken care of [​IMG]. It turns out, one of my friends still had a ten gallon from his rat breeding days. All I had to do was cover up the wire mesh lid with some celophane and it was good to go. It's got a litte less sand than I'd like, but in a few weeks I should have enough to get it to my prefered level.

11. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

A 10 gallon tank is a fine size. For sand, check out the hardware store: you can buy a 50 pound bag for just a couple of dollars, which will last a while with a 10 gallon tank. Make sure the sand is called "play sand" -- most hardware stores sell several types, not all of which are safe for crabs.

When you have some money to spend, make sure you get a good temperature/humidity gauge if you haven't already. I reccomend this one: http://petdiscounters.com/product.php?productid=1092002&cat=277&page=1
    Maintaining proper temp and humidity is extremely important for hermit crabs, so having a gauge you can trust is worth investing in.

12. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I buy crab tailored sand (calcium carbonate), which is a bit more (ok, quite a bit more) expensive, but it's worth it for the hermies. I only need about 2 lb bag and I should be ok. They do have a nice hill to one side that is several times higher than the biggest one, so they're fine. I'd just rather put a bit more on the lower parts of the tank.

I have the gauge and thermometer covered.

13. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Calci-sand/Vita-sand is great to put in a small bowl for the crabs to snack on [​IMG] but it is very expensive for a substrate. In addition, it does not retain moisture very well and can get stinky/moldy when it is wet. You would really be better off with the playsand...and it is affordable even for the tightest of budgets.

14. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

My crabs LOVE their play sand. LOL There are a few tunnels in there and at least one molted in there. Down in the corner so I had a small window to peak into. LOL

15. tb1234

tb1234 (Micro Crab)

LOL, I should add that its half play sand half EE.

16. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

This is a different kind with a few extra ingredients. It's pretty nice as it doesn't clump nearly as much as the other kinds and it actually smells pretty good. I have not had a molding problem with this sand as of yet, so I can say I'm pretty please with it (it's worth the cost).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.