1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of my crabs legs fell off! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by LolaGranola, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

:dontknow:

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

They can drop legs because they are stressed. There are many reasons for them being stressed. PPS, tank is too hot, not enough humidity. Make sure your gauges are calibrated and in the correct range. They can also have a sickness.

Molting and shedding the exoskeleton is NOT dropping limbs.

3. jedediah

jedediah Guest

They can survive this, even if they have lost all legs. If they are active (feelers moving), try handfeeding them, offer them fresh and salt water from a spoon and make sure their shell is filled with water. Offer them whatever the other crabs get and add extra calcium (cuttlebone, shrimp, krill, brine shrimp, dead insects ect.). I had a crab that lost everything but one leg and he regrew two pinchers and two legs in a short time, he was very active all the time and readily ate from my fingers and later from bottle caps.

As long as the crab still can get around by itself, however, leave it alone to avoid stressing it out even more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.