1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one of my crabs is on the surface, but hasn't moved for 3 days!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by jeswwjd23, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

I'm just wondering, if Pinchy is molting, why do they decide to do a surface molt?? i haven't gone through a molt yet. so i don't know what to expect. can anyway help??

2. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

Well first of all does he smell fishy? What is the vitals in your tank like(humidy temp)? Whats your substrate and how many crabs in your tank? What were his symptons post this happening and what are his symptons now? So on and so forth? I cant help till i know a little bit more. OK.

3. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

The tank is kept around 78 during the day and 72 at night, and the humidity is usually between 70-80, i have 6 crabs in total all tiny's in a 10gallon with 2 levels half sand and bedding. and plenty of hiding and climbing spaces the rest of them are very happy, pinchy was fine until about 3 days ago. he was lively and eating and then tonight i notice that he hasn't moved for atleast 3 days, his eyes are still black, like normal when i picked up the shell his body became very relaxed like he's sleeping, but he didn't wake up when i gently blew on him or misted him to see if he'd move. . he has a faint fishy smell, i've had 2 crabs die so i know the very strong fishy smell, i think he might be dead, but i don't know if they smell when they molt, so i didn't want to do anything till i had some feedback on what others think

4. Itsy

Well when a crab is molting he usually has a strange smell kinda like butterscotch or iodine if he has a fishy smell im thinkin hes dead isolate him away from the other crabs until your sure. Was he like hangin outta his shell or were you could wiggle the shell n hed flop out a bit or just veggin comfortably in his shell??But id still say isolte him away from your crabs he may have something or may be getting ready to molt either way he shouldnt be in the same tank.

5. Itsy

oh and your tank should be kept at a consistent heat during the night and the day and your humidity shouldnt drop below 75%. Is your sand moist or dry??

6. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

right now i'm still trying to figure out a way to keep my tank at a steady rate, the room i am in is small with windows, plus it's winter time so the cold air is blowing in. when i picked him up he was hangin out of his shell. i'm pretty sure he's dead, but goi'n to wait a week or until the smell gets stronger then i'll know for sure. also i am moving into the basement in a week or two, so i'm just goin to hang in their until i can put the tank far from a window and away from an outside wall. then i know i'll have better luck with the heat and humidity staying the same when i'm down in the basement since the basement stays at a good constant rate

7. Itsy

Ill make a suggestion i have my tank not to far from my window aswell try this put a damp towel over top of you lid, damp not wet they need to breath. Also with your humidity issue try spraying your ank twice a day and have a sponge in there. Or another thing put your water dish over top of your heater it will go down a little bit faster and youll have to fill it more often but more himidity will get in the air. Also try wrapping a towel around 3 sides of your tank and taping it there for extra insulation i also have a towel underneath my tank cause whatever it is sittin on will absorb alot of the heat and with a towel there it will help prevent that and even out the heat on the bottem of the tank.

8. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

thanks i'll try that

9. Itsy

no problem i really hope it helps!

10. Itsy

if you need anymore help just ask

11. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

jeswwjd23, I live in an apartment and had a real issue with cold blowing in too. I got a lamp from my mom, it had the long halogen bulb in it - the length of a 10 gallon. I kept it on all day long and it kept the temperature very steady. I thought the humidity might drop, but it stayed great. Actually, when I misted the tank it sent my humidity levels too high. Maybe this is something you can try too. I also moved my tank to a corner of my place that was out of the way of the windows. It looks stupid in my kitchen, but hey! I was even thinking closet for a while LOL... At night I put a big thick towel over the entire tank, top and sides. I roll up one corner and leave a little space at the top for air flow, and this seems to work well too.

12. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

I have a U.T.H. on the side of my tank and I keep a black light on all the time on the top and I keep a few towels on the top to retain the heat, and one over the whole tank when it's really cold. (NOTE: I don't know how advisable that is as it may have the possiblily of starting on fire, mine hasn't yet, and dosen't seem to ever be overheated.) And I can maintain a pretty consistent temps 72-75. I also live in a very cold area also. (I just let my dog in and it's -5 outside right now.) I have also heard of people using foam type insulation and putting it all around their tank. I have also had 2 of my crabs do surface molts, I am thinking it was because I use calci-sand for my sub and I can't seem to get it to the sand-castle stage, its either too moist or too dry, but they did fine. Try not to sweat it. Good luck!

13. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

thanks guys for your suggestions and feedback, i have finally moved into the basement and for a couple of days now, the temp has finally stayed between 72-76 and the humidity is between 70-75%, i bought a couple of large towels, placed one under the tank and two over my lamp thing i have and another smaller on. covers half of the front for privacy for the crabs. and haven't had a problem with the temp and humidity since i wet the towel twice a day. i was suprized, cause it is the basement which is much cooler than the rest of the house. so hopefully the crabitat will be good and stay the temp it is. lol thanks yall! jess

14. Itsy

Im so glad to hear all id going well now and having half of the tank covered is smart. Privacy and dark and hiding is very important for them. I hope all continues to go well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.