1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One man's garbage is anothers treasure

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by LordRhal, Jan 24, 2010.

1. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

So here's my super story of the night.

I've been searching for a new tank for my hermit for a while now. I stumbled upon a craigslist add which at a 70g going at 100$. I quickly responded and went to pick it up around 5pm this evening. It used to be an aquarium and hadn't been used in a while so it was full of calcium deposits and algae stains. I didn't care cause well, it was 100$. So we get it in the car by some kind of miracle and head over to my gf's mom's place for supper. Fast forward after supper, her mom asks us to take the trash out to the curve while we are on our way out. We get there and what do we find? An exotic goldmine. 2 tanks, one 80g and a 36g, 3 hood lights, 3 clamp lights, rocks, branches and random other things.. After investigating the 80g I realise that a) it's clean b) it's bigger than the one I just bought, so my brain makes the connections and I quickly toss the one I had just bought to the curve and shove the 80g in the car. We get home and now my gf has a 36g for our futur snake and I have a bigger tank than I had bought in the first place. woot. Now to clean it and slowly set it up. From a 20g long to a 80g, I think my crabs will like the upgrade :p

[img=400x266]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/thimmy/ubertank003.jpg[/img]
    Me and my new uber tank that I found in the trash. which doesn't look so big on picture :/ Although it's 48" by 18" by 21". technically 78g but I like the sound of 80 better xD

P.S I didn't keep the first 70g for two reasons: no room in the car and no room in the appartment lol

P.P.S Oh yea, we also found the metal stand that goes with the 80g but I left it at her mom's and we'll go pick it up this week. w00t.

:wav:

2. imported_Eric

imported_Eric (Small Crab)

Treasure indeed!

I'm so jealous of you, I wish I could come across something that wicked!

Congrats on the find!

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Could've sold the one you bought back on CL LOL That's a great find tho!

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Re: One man's garbage is another's treasure

Here's the pictures of my baskets and my second story.  The moss pits go almost all the way across the back of the tank.  I glued two coco huts together with aquarium glue for a crab condo (which they use).  I have plenty of floor space plus many hiding places in and under the wood, which also acts as stairs to the moss pits.  The top basket butts up against the moss pit allowing them access to the whole 2nd story.

Congrats on the tanks, have fun decorating...but I would have left the one you bought at your girlfriends house and put it back on CL, even if you get $50 for it at least you recoup some of your money.   :flower:

[​IMG]

Click on the picture to start the slide show.  To pause a picture move your mouse to the lower right corner...click the middle button...then click it again to resume.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow! I agree about keeping the 70 gallon but that is sooooo cool that you found all those for free! A while back someone on HCRU found a 5 story ferret cage at the dump and I read an add for a free 100 gallon tank on CL (well, it cost $5 but basically free). Mckenny, do you have problems with those little plastic plants that you buy at the dollar store? My crabs eat a chew them up so I ended up buying some tougher reptile vines to use instead.... Do you're do that?

6. LordRhal

It might of been possible to keep the tank, but it was very dirty and it was some imported tank from europe that weighed half a ton and was in a bronze cast. Water had seeped through the silicone and was stuch in the metal cast and would randomly poor out. it was in poor condition and I don't think her mom would of wanted that in the house lol.

7. LordRhal

Right now the tank is in our bedroom on a dresser till we go pick up the stand at her mom's. I can't wait to start decorating. Jelly, the weave and cord from the basket is ok for crabs? If so I like your setup. Where is the rope tied to on the top part of the tank? Also, the moss pits are very narrow, what are they for and do the crabs actually go in them? I'm planning on a waterfall for the dechlorinated pool and a bubbler for the salt water pool.

My only concern or rather, what I haven't solved yet is what I will use as a cover. The top part has two square opening seperated by s plastic strand. I was thinking using a hood lamp on each side and maybe get a sheet of plexiglass to cover what my hoods won't? If you guys have any other suggestion, go ahead xD After yesteday I have about 8 clamp lights as well so I might go for that, but if I do, I should get glass right? I wouldn't want the plexiglass to warp as it does in my 20g. it's a work in progress, I just can't wait to be able to get everything I need and get some new crab members :D

8. Mckenny

Hey Cococrisp...No thankfully, although most of mine come from Michaels when they have sales.
    They seem to be a little bit more sturdy and the wires are completely covered.  My guys love to climb and they support their weight really well.
    I have gotten some from Walmart too, but I noticed they have gone up in price on their artificial plants.

I change my things with the season's.  I keep everything in a large box and change  out the tank when the season changes.  I bought a little at a time, sometimes only spending $2 or $3 so that now I have enough for a variety.   :flower:

LordRhal...I understand where you're coming from.  Hard water marks are virtually impossible to get rid of.  I was fortunate with my tank...no blemishes on the glass at all.  You're going to love the size.  The 18 inch width surprisingly makes a huge difference.

I put mine on a heavy coffee table that someone was going to throw away.  I like it lower to the ground...makes it wonderful to get to things inside.   :flower:

9. LordRhal

I never noticed if they do, although I don't think so, maybe they aren't big enough? (my crabs) It's so much cheaper though to use the dollarstore.

10. LordRhal

I have two cats as well, so the higher it is, the less chance they have of jumping into the tank.  :hahahaha:

11. Mckenny

Yes, I did some research on it before I bought it.  The twine is hemp twine...strong, safe for hermies and mildew proof.

After fiddling and fooling around, I finally got wise and invested some money in heavy duty hooks.  I use 3M hooks for the baskets and support them with the hemp twine attached to a large suction cup found in the bath section of Walmart.  It's the kind that you have to push in and then push down the hook part lock it.  If you use the 3M ones also, FOLLOW the directions to the letter.  They are very easy to remove.  I'll try to get a few pics to show how it's all put together.

I bought glass covers for mine, but shop around.  I priced them at several aquarium stores and found a wide variety of prices.  I attached the long plastic pieces to the back part of the glass and it fits the tank nicely.  I did take some duct tape and roll it into small pieces length wise and attached a piece on each side of the glass in the back and then attached it to the tank for a more secure fit so the top didn't move when I opened it.  You don't even notice the tape because it's on the underside.

I priced thick Plexiglas and it was almost the same price, more actually if you want to hinge it so it opens in the front.  My glass aquarium tops were $45.  I use aquarium hood lights (fluorescent) and have a small clamp light inside of the tank with a Night Glo bulb in it when I need extra heat in the winter.  I use a 50 watt or a 75 watt, depending on how cold it is in the house.

I used a large round dow rod cut to about 10 - 12 inches, and used aquarium glue to attach the rod to the center bar in the tank up top, and ran the cord out the back.  My clamp light swivels so I have more flexibility with it.

The moss pits work out great.  Once again gotten at Walmart.  I have three of them butted together and have found as many as 7 in one shower caddy.  I use wreath hooks, the metal kind (at Walmart for $1.99) to hold up my caddies.  The regular hooks were not stable enough.  I turned them upside down, bent out the square part so it was straight, covered them in colored duct tape extra well, figured out where to put the caddies and then bent them to fit.  The round part goes  over the back of the tank.  Just be sure to place them low enough to prevent escapes.

It took me a better part of a month to set mine up.  A tweak here, move something over there, fiddle around with something else, phew!  But I was determined to get it to where I was happy with it so I didn't have to keep re-arranging things after I got the crabbies in (like I did with my 55 gallon when I started out).  I sat and stared at it every night thinking about what I could do.

If you're going to get a few more crabs, now would be a good time so you can isolate them.  By the time you get your tank set up, they'll be good to go in with your others.  I gave all of mine a quick dip before I put them in the new tank so they would all smell the same.  Just my preference.

Have fun...and if I can be of any assistance, feel free to ask.   :flower:

p.s.  I have three cats, and now they don't bother it at all.  They'll sit in the chair or on the floor and watch them moving around though---that's funny---they tap the glass trying to get the crabbies' attention.  They need to be careful what they wish for.  If one of those crabs latched onto them there would be a whole lot of screaming and running and screaming and.........MMRRrrow-Hiss-Spit-Growl-Whimper  :chuckle:

12. LordRhal

Thanks for all the info, I will probably look around for some crabs and head to wall-mart for those hemp baskets, seems like the best idea I've seen so far for the amount of shells I'll have. I'd like to see some close up pics of how you set some of your things up though, like the clamp light, maybe the top with the hoods and the baskets themselves. Whenever you have time to take some =) I see your water and food bowls on the right side. Pretty smart to put cholla between them and the earth, Are those white aquarium rocks? Also how deep is are your water dishes. Even if my bowls are pretty deep as long as they can get out it should be ok right? Would cholla mold or mildew if I put a branch in my bowl?

13. LordRhal

I ordered some shells and cholla and grapevine from HCP, so I will be getting that by next week, this weekend I'll head out to wal-mart and slowly start setting things up. I have this great idea for a waterfall. How do you keep your humidity stable? I'm thinking the waterfall will help and a bubbler in my other water dish. Do you need to mist your tank? Stable humidity was my biggest problem, but I think it's easier to maintain temp and humidity in a bigger tank right?

14. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

It is, provided that you have lots of "stuff" in the tank. Upper levels, foliage, etc. all help to keep the humidity from just escaping through the top.

15. Mckenny

LordRahl, I'll send those to you sometime this week.  
    Yes, it's white aquarium gravel and the crabbies don't seem to drag it out too much.

The dishes are Flukers Jacuzzis and they're 2 inches deep and have a rough surface and steps.  The containers would be fine for water.  What some do is anchor a plant next to the dish and let the other end of the plant set in the water so the crabs can get in and out.  I would think the cholla wood would mildew and rot if left submerged in the water.  I mist mine with salt water, as well as the rest of the tank and substrate.

I used stones in mine when I used to have Tupperware containers.  Here is a pic when I had my 55 gallon setup.

[​IMG]

I had two square containers in a large container to keep them from being tipped.
    Luckily for me and the crabs I kept evolving.   :chuckle:

My crabs don't submerge but they do have enough depth in the Jacuzzi to sit fill their shells with water and soak.

That's why i don't use the Tupperware anymore, but, you do take the chance of a crab missing out on totally submerging if he should want to.  It's a decision that I made for my tank, so...  :dontknow:

Misting the tank is a must to keep the substrate moist for digging, tunneling, and cave making.  Plus you need to keep your moss slightly moist.  I bought a battery operated mister that you screw onto a gallon milk jug.  It's a LOT of misting by hand other wise.   :ambulance:   :biglaugh:

16. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

wooow.... oh wow... that's amazing!!!!

17. LordRhal

A battery powered mister that's good :p I would eventually like to integrate an automated misting system with a timer and such, because I don't think I will be going bigger than 80g, at least not for many years. I just know I'm going to lose some crabs in there because they will have so much room compared to their current habitat. I think I am going to get a large square tupperware and set it in a corner, silicone it so it stays in place, get a filter with tubing, set the filter in the corner with the tubing going straight up, then surround it all with some medium to bigger stones and have a home made waterfall with the water drizzling down the rocks. In my head it looks awesome :p On the opposite side I will steal your hemp basket idea. I'm not sure yet about a moss pit, is there a practical use for it? I read it absorbs humidity if not humid enough. For the rest, well once I get my grapevine and cholla from HCP I will see :p I'll keep you posted xD I should be starting to set it up this weekend

18. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

It's really hard to re-wet moss after it dries. Even if you mist it, it won't be as wet as it needs to be. The solution is to take the moss out and soak it in a bowl of water again.

Honestly, my guys love pulling the moss out - it makes trashing the tank much easier for them.  :BangHead:

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Whered you get the mister Jelly??

I just take my moss out, soak it in saltwater that I put in the microwave. I use salad tongs to take it out and let it drip for a bit before putting it back into the tank. Its a good humidity boost.

20. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I just dunk mine in water, let it soak and then put it in a collinder type thing the drain the water and then stick it in the tank. I had no problems and with my plexiglas lid I misted once a day for just a few second. you can buy the reptiles ones for thrity dollars but I've never heard of that kind..... I didn't find anything under google search.