1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One-Eyed Rescue

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by Ally, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I recently became a member of the local reptile rescue/rehab. I went to turn in my order sheets for the fundraiser and tour the facilities on Monday. She had just received a hermit crab a few days before that, so she sent the little one home with me. She is a small/medium PP with only one eye and is missing part of a walking leg, but seemed quite healthy and active otherwise.

She must have been quite dehydrated, because when I got her home, the first things she did were get a long drink at the freshwater pool, and then submerge herself in the saltwater pool. I kept a close eye on her, because I've never had one submerge before and was afraid she wouldn't be able to get out. She did get out on her own, and sat in a corner for awhile, but then went back into the pool. I wasn't quite as concerned since I'd seen her get out once, but I still was checking on her regularly.

It's a good thing I did, because she got on her back and couldn't get out! I picked her up, and she practically fell out of her shell. She must have been half-drowned. I put a fingernail in her BP, and she grabbed onto it and seemed to be quite strong even though she wasn't moving anything else. Soo, I replaced the water dishes with clamshells and left her quietly in ISO, half out of her shell but still alive. The next morning, she was tucked neatly in her shell and she had drank most of the water. I refilled the water, and when I got home a couple of hours later, she had drank that, too! She appears to be doing fine (the reason this is in ISO rather than emergency care), drinking alot although she hasn't eaten yet. Just say a little prayer for her, she's definitely a little fighter who seems to want to survive.

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

that poor littel thing.
    I really wish they would stop selling these poor animals. sorry ya'll!
    How many millions are out there just suffering because someone makes money off them.
    I already said a prayer for her and you too, keep her well Ally.
    I will keep her in my prayers, and thank you for volunteering at rescue, God knows the animals need you!

3. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

She's not looking so hot now. She's hanging out of her shell and not moving. She was still alive last night..she grabbed my nail with her pincher, but not as strong as before. I put some organic honey in her little clamshell for her...maybe she'll go for some of that.

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

That poor little thing. Thank goodness you were there to get her out of the dish. That's something I never really anticipated before..how scarey. I sure hope she pulls through.

5. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I still don't understand exactly what happened with her. There's a big sponge in the bowl, and she had been getting out on her own just fine. Heck, I have crabs in there that are 1/6 her size who have no problems with the bowl. [​IMG]

She really must have been dehydrated badly though. I'm taking caresheets to RAREto hand out at their educational outings, garage sales, anyone who wants one, etc. and they will be referring anyone with questions to me, so...hopefully at least I'll be able to help a few this way.

6. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I think she's gone. I'm waiting to be positive, but she hasn't moved in days.

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Aw, Ally, I'm so sorry [​IMG]

8. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Thanks Wendy. Tom got me 3 little bitty crabs this week for being brave Monday during my gum surgery. hehe

9. Mindymouse1978

Mindymouse1978 Hi, I'm New Here!

So Sorry! [​IMG]

10. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Poor lil' thing!!![​IMG]

11. lucco

lucco Hi, I'm New Here!

Sorry little guy did not make it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.