1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG crabkiller

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Hermies4Life, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

I kill for sport, it's fun..I eat the stuff I kill, but that doesn't make the hunt less fun.

When things become illegal or off-limits, the black market comes into play. Just because gray wolves were on the endangered species list, didn't mean people stopped killing them. They just did it illegally with no tracking or method for recording the kills.

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Killing for fun is okay as long as you eat it so the animal dies for a purpose. But if you just leave it there or cut off it's head and hang it on your wall it's terrible! As for the gray wolves, even though people didn't stop killing them, a lot less did it. In May so many people in a few states went on a crazy holiday killing the gray wolves, since it was mating season and they weren't on the endangered list anymore.:( Killing adult wolves is one thing, but killing cubs, which are the next generation is especially cruel.

3. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    I agree with you 100% laughs.

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

The thing about the wolves is that they were killing off cattle and other animals people were trying to farm, but the farmers couldn't protect their animals. I'm sorry, but if something comes onto MY land and threatens the one thing that I can make money off of to live (which for many farmers is barely making enough money to pay for normal 'life' stuff), I want to be able to protect it. I don't go into the wolves' territory trying to find them to kill them, but if they come onto my land...

It's kind of like the alligators around here. They're not allowed to be hunted until they're 6 feet long, and even then you can't shoot them - you have to make appointments with wildlife rangers to come and see if they can find them to get rid of them. But by the time a gator is 6 feet long, they can eat labrador-sized dogs easily, they can eat small children in one bite. But I can't mess with it if it's on my land? What if it's on my porch and I can't leave to go to work? Stupid rules...

5. CrabLover910!

CrabLover910! (Micro Crab)

there is no way that i would kill an animal for fun. it has just as much right to a long and happy life as you and me. even if you eat the animal it makes it no better. the only time i say it is ok to kill animals is when you have nothing to eat and no way to get anything else.
    (which wouldn't happen unless you got in a time machine back to Robin hood's time.)

6. emmac350

So then what would you tell my parents, whose garden has been decimated by the way-too-big herd of deer that lives on our street? My parents live within city limits, but the deer are so bold that they come onto my parents' front porch and eat plants right next to the front door! Why shouldn't my parents be allowed to get rid of the animals that killed all the tomato plants my parents would have been eating off of, the strawberries that would have been used all summer long, the peppers that would have been in salads, and even just the flowers they would have enjoyed all year? They've got as much fenced in as they can, but you need to be able to get to the plants if you're going to be growing them, and if you can get to the plants, so can the deer.

7. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

There are other alternatives to remove animals like deer. Wolves, I don't know.

8. Laughs O Lot

I wouldn't kill an animal for fun either. I agree that animals should have the same rights as people. But eating it does make it better, in my opinion. In fact, in some cases, killing an animal (as long as it's not an endangered species) and eating the whole thing is a lot better than what some commercial producers do. Take chickens for example. The story of how that chicken wing got on your plate is devastating, disgusting, and horribly cruel.:mad: First, the beaks of the chickens are cut off. Next, all the chickens are loaded in the back of the truck. Many fall off the truck and die.:( Then the chickens are brought to the slaughter house. Instead of immediately killing them so they have a nice, painless death they TORTURE them!:mad::mad: They cut off their legs and wings one by one when they are still living!!! It is disgusting and terrible how people treat the chickens! Do they understand that these are living creatures, not that much unlike themselves? Of course not everybody does this to chickens, but KFC and McDonalds do. NEVER go to those two horrible restaurants! Do not support the mistreatment even by buying one thing there!!!!
    In conclusion, killing an animal by yourself and eating it is a million times better than going to KFC or McDonalds for a "tasty" meal of chicken wings. But if you don't eat the animal you kill it is *Murder* which should be illegal.

9. Laughs O Lot

Would you kill me if I stole your food and ate it? If the answer is no, which it obviously is, why would you kill an animal that doesn't know any better, that is just doing it to survive? Even though humans are more intelligent than other animals, it doesn't mean we are better and should have more rights. Not to bring religion into this, but I believe that God created everybody equal, and that everybody meant every creature in the universe, not just humans. If everybody is equally great, everybody should have equal rights.

Also, I think your lucky to have the deer in your backyard! I always wished I could see deer up-close every day and get a chance to interact with them and observe them! It would be such an amazing experience! I love deers! They are so beautiful and graceful and are very kind creatures once they overcome their fear of humans. To be able to feed them and pet them is awesome! If I switched places with you, I would be so happy a deer was in my backyard I wouldn't care if they were eating my garden!!!

10. deedeeiam

I don't think some of you quite grasp the scale of the deer population. In a good hunting season, we kill 250,000 in our state. We're still completely overrun. So...what are these alternatives to removing +300,000 deer yearly from one state alone. I'm hoenstly curious.

Also Laughs O Lot, you do not feed or pet any wildlife....ever. If you want domesticated deer, go get a farm. Whitetail deer will attack humans, just a little FYI, especially after someone has handfed them and not made them scared of humans anymore.

11. Laughs O Lot

Oh. I didn't know about the hanfeeding thing. Sorry. :eek: But I would still love to observe them!
    But as for deer being overpopulated, so are humans, just not where you live, I'm guessing. But in other parts of the world, people are so overcrowded!!! But that is no reason why killing somebody is wrong!

12. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

300,000 deer visit your front lawn? Yikes! Can I suggest some nice beach house?

13. deedeeiam

The deer near the beach are like the size of dogs though. That's no fun. :(

14. emmac350

So...I had a whole reply typed out but accidentally reloaded the page. *bangs head against desk*

Laughs O Lot, my parents can't touch the deer. The deer are just wild enough to not come near them, nor would you want them to - they're overrun with fleas and ticks as they are completely overpopulated. But when you live in city limits, no one can fire a weapon so no one at all can hunt them, not even city officials. So they spend their lives eating out of peoples' gardens, being nuisances, and spreading disease-laden fleas and ticks onto peoples' pets. Also, deer are actually the most dangerous animal in the US - they kill more people annually (hunters being gored by bucks they're trying to hunt, people hitting them with their cars/motorcycles and being killed or injured by the crash) than any other animal, including sharks, bears, or bee stings.

If you stole my food and ate it, I would prosecute you to the full extent of the law. I'd at least get back the money you stole from me by taking my food, and if I could get you probation or jail time for your blatant theft and disregard for personal property, I would. But there are no deer jails or probation - how are you going to explain to a deer that it shouldn't be eating my garden?

As for the statement about God creating everyone equal, I have yet to see that in the Bible. Genesis 1:26 says "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." Then in verse 28, it says ""Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

I don't want to get into a religious discussion with you here because I realize that some do not share my beliefs or agree that there even is a God. I do believe that, but that's by my own choice in a land that (arguably) allows you to practice your own faith. Also, religion is off topic. But in reply to your comment about God making everyone (man and animals) equal, it is nowhere in the Bible. I do agree that we should be wise with our treatment of animals and not just kill them because we can. We are not called to murder large numbers of animals because we have the ability to in the same way that we should not murder each other just because we can. We are to be responsible and not take more than we need. Seriously, if you find it offensive that I mentioned God in this post, I meant it respectfully and not in a way that would force you to believe my beliefs and merely brought it up as a reply to a previous mention of it.

Another interesting point to consider is this - dogs have been found to have the same intelligence level as a 2 year old. They can understand the same number of words, can count and do simple arithmetic (don't believe me? get out a few dog treats, put them behind your back and only give your dog one...the dog will know there are more in your hand). Pretty crazy, huh?

15. deedeeiam

Come to our capital city! We have urban hunting with bows, so we can hunt within city limits. 'Course you have to maintain a spotless hunting record, get assigned a location, etc.

We've got deer making their way downtown and have actually busted through the glass doors of businesses. Bucks have also seen reflections in vehicles and decided to attack said reflection.

What about rats and mice? I'm curious, do those that have aversions to killing deer or wolves let mice live in their houses if one happens by? Leave every insect un-smooshed?

Edit: Fun with numbers... http://www.skinnymoose.com/deerchart.pdf

16. Laughs O Lot

I know~ dogs are so cool! :D On Oprah there was a dog that knew addition and multiplication with small numbers! It is amazing! Another interesting fact is that elephants understand that they are looking at themselves in the mirror. As for God creating everybody equal, I'm not sure if it's in the Bible but I hear it a lot. I just took it to mean animals, too, but I don't know if it was intended to mean that. Sorry for the confusion there. I was just trying to say being more intelligent than another species doesn't mean your better. Great job knowing your Bible! :)
    I never had a mice in my house but I try to avoid killing flies and other insects in the house. But if a bug goes in the hermit crab tank, it's dead!!!! Lol. I'm not going to let any bug get to my babies!

17. emmac350

18. Laughs O Lot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.