1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG crabkiller

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Hermies4Life, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

OKay so i was looking on youtube for anything crab related and then i saw the enemy *says in deep freaky voice) Debbit Noah or something like that with expert village. I thinkt hat we have heard of her and how she does NOT know hot to care for hermit crabs correctly.:/

so i typed a PM to the people at expert village and this is what i said

I seriously suggest that you take Debbie or whatever her name is off of your site and channel. She doesnt know how to properly care for hermit crabs. Shes KILLING THEM. You have videos on how to kil hermit crabs on your channel. You should be fined for animal cruelty.
    Hermit crabs need wayyy more than what she has for them
    They need a glass aquarium, (10 gallon is a good starter one) because glass holds in tempature and humidity better than platic also that little plastic container that she has them in does not provide enough space for them to live comfortably. In the wild hermit crabs would walk an average 2 miles,and they can not walk that in that tiny thing.
    PAINTED SHELLS ARE BAD no matter how nice a pretty they look they are bad for hermit crabs. The paint chips then the hermit crabs will ingest it and eventually die.
    They need wayy more sand than that in their crabitat they need it 2 as deep as your tallest hermit crab.Also her sand is wrong. She is using calci sand which is bad for hermies. The dye to make it colors is bad for them its even bad for them to eat. Also they can't burrow in it and moult and grow also you cann not get the sand wet or else it will get mouldly and lump and stick to crabs.
    They need freshwaer and saltwater.
    They need about 70 degrees tempature and about 80 percent humidity.
    I seriously think thatyou shoudl take her off and put someone that actually has knowledge on how to care for hermit crabs properly.
    As i said before you ahve videos on hot to KILL crabs NOT keep them alive.
    This my dear friends is called animal cruelty.

what do yall think

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I'm not sure anyone there even listens. Many people have complained about those videos and yet they are still up. :(

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

e-mail PETA

4. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I've seen those videos and I'm with you. Down with Debbie Noah.

5. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

WOW!!!! :( I just did a search for "PETA hermit crab" to see if any current action has occurred already. And in fact there is. The bottom line is most important. From PETA's perspective:

"[Hermit crabs] will only lay their eggs in the ocean and will not reproduce in captivity—that means that every crab in every tourist shop and pet store was ripped away from their family...So what can you do? Let the hermit crabs stay in their natural habits with their families. Never buy a hermit crab or support a store that sells them. If you see a store selling them, let people know what's wrong with the practice."

PETA encourages NOT having hermit crabs for pets at all:

"Hermit crabs are not just souvenirs to be sold indiscriminately to tourists and mall patrons. Help protect these wild animals: Never buy a hermit crab, and inform your friends and family that hermit crabs don't make good pets."

I'm not sure what to think, so I'll just post this and let others take it from here.

:( sigh...

6. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

It's an ingrained part of beach-store culture. It would take years on years on years for them to realize a consumer change. Additionally, if all the hermit crabs that were removed from the wild were added back in - they'd just have to be killed again by biologists after the eco-system unbalanced itself.

It annoys me so much to see PETA demonstrations about how hunting is cruel and that our state should ban it. What's their solution for the deer population control? Let it be? Yeah right...

PETA has great name-recognition, mostly because of the illegal stunts they pull to gather information. Smaller, less-known organizations get more done on a whole.

7. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

PETA likes to help animals but they are also a little overboard with everything. I mean they had a fit when Obama swatted a fly, because the fly was a living thing. I dont even like Obama and I thought that was just stupid. I like PETA for what they do for animals but anymore PETA is a bunch of crazies.

8. Hermies4Life

ya PETA is like freaky. I know what they said about hermit crabs a long time agon and was just shocked so i didnt post anything. But ya PETA is for a good cause and all but their going overboard. Watch the hermit crab communtiy and the PETA people will start a war over pets :) xD i can see that happenin lol

9. Hermies4Life

OH MY GOSH okay so toady i got on my youtube account and expert village wrote back to my eamil (posted above) and this is what they typed.

Hi there

Thanks for your concern. Our philosophy is to film and interview leading experts who teach you what they know. We go a step further on our website (eHow | How To Do Just About Everything!) by providing you the credentials of the expert we consulted so that you can judge the credibility of the information you receive.

We do not represent the accuracy of the content nor can we directly comment on the content supplied to us in these videos. We screen the credentials of each expert and trust that they are providing accurate information and instructing in the best way that they know how. Our staff reviews each video for quality but we do not claim to be expert in every subject we represent.

If you are interested in sharing your expert opinion and becoming part of the ExpertVillage community, please sign up and join our program:

Freelance Work | Demand Studios

Thank you,
    -ExpertVillage Editorial Staff

10. deedeeiam

I love how on the same page they write that about hermit crabs, they have a video and tell a story about a hermit crab rescue. Someone found a hermit crab and brought it from Virginia Beach to Florida, then released it on some random island....and then left the plastic bucket laying on the beach when he left. Way to protect the enviornment bub...

EDIT: Wait..because she teaches elementary school, she's an expert? She's not a marine biologist focusing on the study of hermit crabs. See..this online stuff, much easier to attack then the stores. Getting bad information off the web. geeez.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  11. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Looks like, PETA will be your best tool to sort out a horrible pet store problem. Beyond that, probably not much good.

So next time you see a horrible pet store mistreating them to a horrible extent... call peta...

12. Michele213

Michele213 "Never Molted"

PETA would rather see your pets dead than in your home. They are against the use of ANY animal for ANY reason. They put down 95% of all animals that come into their shelters. Asking them for help is like handing your crab over to a sea gull.

13. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

They screen credentials, but then they trust the expert that they are not lying?

That's not screening, that's only reading. And they only screen for quality - of what, the video? Obviously not content... oh wait... they don't check the accuracy of the content. That means their experts can be jack of all trades but master of none.

Some one want to donate a camera to me? Since teachers have credentials as being an expert, I'll create a video showing the correct way! :D

14. Hermies4Life

I would totaly donate a camera to you but i dont have one :(
    But as soon as you get a camera toally do it :) xD

15. CrabLover910!

CrabLover910! (Micro Crab)

That email they gave you back was pathetic!
    They won't even take you seriously let alone face up to their mistakes and do something about it!

Arrg!

(p.s. don't yell at me, but should i change my plastic tank to a glass one?)

16. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Yes, plastic in general is bad, regardless of size. If you have any sort of heating equipment for your crabs (as you should - they enjoy basking much more than I ever realized until I got the proper setup for them), it can cause plastic tanks to give off toxic fumes and even melt! An under tank heater (UTH) will melt the plastic over it, and heat lamps have been known to warp the sides of plastic tanks until their lids don't fit anymore. Also, most plastic tanks that I've ever seen are just those tiny critter keeper things. Yes, they have one that is 12" x 7" x 9", but as was said a few replies above me, they need to be much bigger than that. Even the tiniest hermit crabs in the wild will travel several miles in a single night for food and water - can your crab do that in your tank? Heck, I have a 30 gallon tall glass aquarium and 8 crabs (1 medium, 1 small, 6 tiny) and I still have an extra exercise container (large Rubbermaid with climbing stuff in it) and I worry about whether they get enough exercise. Carol of Crabworks, whose 2 PPs Jon and Kate just turned 33, lets her crabs out of the house to explore her home every night (when they aren't molting) for several hours and credits their longevity to their exercise.

17. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Today I was at the pool and I saw a drowning bug so I picked it up with my goggles and put it back on the ground. It survived. But when a fly is in my face I will definitely swat it away.
    My friend ordered a vegetarian cookbook from PETA and they gave her a t-shirt saying not to keep hermit crabs as pets. I think it's cruel to capture them from their home, but saying to never not to buy a hermit crab is like telling a monkey not to eat a banana (at least for me). I think they should focus on making pet stores better.
    It's so stupid! Its expert village, so the people there are supposed to know what they are talking about, not just blabber lies like Debbie Noah does.:mad:

18. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

PETA is so stupid. They're against fishing and stuff like that. Even trying to get a high school to change its name from Swordfish to SeaKitty. Uggh! They lack proper brains in their heads, is all i can say.

19. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Why Swordfish to SeaKitty?

20. deedeeiam

People eat swordfish..would you eat a kitten?!

That's probably why. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.