1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG an infestation?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by shelbers91, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

Ok i was really busy the bast couple days, and the crabs havn't been out, i changed the food dish, but not the seed dish because like i said i was busy, and within the seed dish were like a bazillion of these tiny arthropod looking creatures.. i tapped them out in my sink, and there were really alot of them just in that little dish! does anyone know what they are? and what should i do?? i can dig up hermie cuz he is just tunneling, but lyla is molting is this really bad? like could the whole tank be infested? or maybe they all went where the food was.. idk even how the'yd get in ther ein the first place, all i know is they bounce when startled.. Thanks so much for your help! They range in size from hardl noticable to about maybe two milimeters..

this is the little seed dish
    [​IMG]

thes are the little thingamabobs
    [​IMG]

Best pic i think i could get of them
    [​IMG]

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Sawtoothed Grain Beetle

These beetles are found in cereal products and, like the flour beetles, are included in the bran bug group. These usually are found around the cupboard where flour or sugar has spilled during baking. Nuts, seeds, dried fruit and candy are also suitable food sources. Adult beetles are dark brown, flattened, slender and about 1/10 inch long. A distinctive feature is a row of six sawtoothlike projections on each side of the thorax just back of the head, which can be seen using a hand lens. The adults can live up to two or three years. The females lay from 45 to 285 eggs, which hatch into small yellowish-white, wormlike larvae that later pupate inside a covering of food materials. After one week, adults emerge. The beetles can penetrate packaged foodstuffs and may be brought into the home in groceries.

I'm not sure how to get rid of them other than keeping stray food out of the tank? Hopefully they just die off?
    I would hate to see you have to move a molter if they pose no real threat other than being really creepy looking.
    Here is a pic of what they look like...Probably harmless to your crabbies just like fruit flies though...
    [​IMG]

3. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I second cloie, these sound pretty harmless to your crabs ( and I don't think they'll attack the molter) but I'd make sure they don't get out of the confines of your tank, it sounds like they can really make a mess of your pantry.

4. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

YAY harmlessness! Wow thanks for knowing so much! whew for a second i was scared, and i am still scared, lyla is going threw her first molt here as well, and i dont have favorites, but ive really bonded to her because she isnt scared of me, and she comes out to say hello, and, yea, she is just thhe absolute cutest little cab ive ever had! lol i am so glad i dont have to move her, whew!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.