1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldest known hermit crabs in captivity?

Discussion in '~HCRU Hard Drive~ - Carved In Stone' started by pblove, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I was just wondering if anyone knows of an old hermie that someone keeps?
    My Sister had one for about 16 years, the other for close to 18 years.
    Sadly, both are now gone.
    She did not become obsessed with their care either. They lived in a 10 gallon glass aquarium, had a hood light, no heater. She used sand she brought back from the beach each year, did not boil nor bake the sand either. She misted their home several times per day, no temp. nor humidity gauges!
    She fed them all types of food, plus crushed hermit crab food, am sure it had ethoxy in it too, as I just made her aware of the ethoxy recently, in her fish food.They had a small fresh water pool, no salt water pool, no extra calcium?? They had pieces of wood and live plants in the tank for their toys, and climbing coral.
    I am reading so much on these boards,how you must do this and that, and her crabs lived the longest of any I have heard of, no frills with them and they really had a happy, healthy life.????

2. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Hi, Sharon,

Carol of Crabworks has had her jumbos for 28 years. It really boggles the mind, doesn't it? There are unsubstantiated reports of hermits in the wild living up to 70 years!

3. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Jeeze-louise!! 28 years!!
    I have a designated person to care for my dogs,horses, fish, cats and looks like I might need one for the hermies too!!(in case of my death). I have a great person for my hermies!
    Who ever thought I would be making a will for hermit crabs-lol
    has anyone ever thoughtof this, who would care for their pets in an emergency, or in case of death???
    I am going t contact her now for the hermit crabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.