1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OkayI have more questions :P

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by NewlyCrabby, Jan 20, 2008.

1. NewlyCrabby

NewlyCrabby "First Molt, A Success"

Hello,Next weekend i will be going out and buying a glass 10g tank(thats all i can afford)Does anyone have any ideas on what to buy.Right now i just have 1 hermie(rhode) in about a 2-3g tank.I will be getting him friends and have been told i can get about 4 more into a 10 gallon tank.Currently all i have are 3 little choya logs,a coconut hut,a lshell with a wet sponge for drinking,another shell with food in it,calci sand and the kind of like wood chip(called premium substrate) under the coconut for bedding.I have a calci block for it wire along the back for climbing and 4 extra shells for it(dunno if its a boy or girl x])The food i give is the commercial crab island T-rex fruit and flower crab food.I also spray the tank daily with water.I will have pictures of my hermy and the crabitat up soon,then you can really help me!!Thanks,so any ideas are appreatiated!

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 Guest

First things first, ditch the wire in the tank. There should be no metal/wire of anykind in there. Playsand, not calcisand should beused as substrate. You can buy it in huge bags for about $3.50 at your local home improvement store. You need to make it deep and moisten it to sandcastle consistency using dechlorinated water. Your water dishes should be large enough for your crabs to climb in and soak. Sponges are intended as a safety device to keep smaller crabs from drowning. You need both salt water and fresh dechlorinated water. Buy a commercial sea salt mix at the pet store...like HBH or Oceanic. Make sure you are feeding your hermies fresh, unsalted foods...not the commercial stuff. You need plenty of shells.....five per crab. You may also want to add nets and vines for climbing. You can also buy plastic shpwer caddies with  plastic suction cups on them to make a second story....be sure to make a way forthe crabs to limb up there.  Also make sure you have temp. and humidity gauges. .....Plenty of hidies helps too.
    I know that's sounds like a lot, but your hermies are sure to be happy and healthy! Can anyone think of anything I've left out?

3. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

is there any way at all you can get a tank that's at least 20 gal?  like a 20 long?  the issue isn't just how many crabs you can get into a tank but how much room a crab has to climb and move.  with choya, 2 water dishes, a food dish and a cocohut or some sort of hideaway, that doesn't leave much room for moving around.

also, don't have a sponge in there for the crab to drink.  yeah, a lot of stores and people will tell you that the only way a crab drinks is by a sponge and that's just plain crap.  the crabs need dishes or pools to get into.  the crabs drink by either being in the water and drinking or hanging over the edge and using the pinchers to bring the water to it's mouth.

please, there is a  link to a care sheet on the left as well as a checklist of items to buy.  print it out and take it with you when you go shopping.  it will helps.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Careful of the sand you buy- local home improvemnt stores dont really carry the best... but this time of year Toy R US are out of the good beach sand..........the other kind is OK the playsand version but if it doesnt say playsand then they are alot of sharp larger pieces of Silica and stones etc that can harm the crab- also you can use Eco Earth that helps hold in moisture and gives the crabs a variety plus they eat it and it breaks down the poopies :)

while you should have many shells choices in appropriate sizes 3 per crab is the norm.

Totally agree with Chrispy the bigger the better when it comes to making sure all has enough room. initally its alot to do and purchase but its worth it. You will need a heat source also preferably a combo hood that can house day/night cycle bulbs......

keep reading!

5. NewlyCrabby

okay thanks,can there is no way i can go bigger,not enough room in my room duw to the fact i already have a 10 gallon for my turtle :p i was thinking about doing split levels,one with a moss pit,one with all the shells! Thanks again guys!

6. NewlyCrabby

Okay i got  my 10 gallon!
    Pictures will be up soon
    I got 2 new hermiies,Gurkin&&Indy
    Indy Is Just a lil smaller than a golf ball && about 4 or 5 times bigger than rhose
    Gurkin is a lil bit smaller than indy && About 3 times bigger than Rhode
    Is this a problem?Will they hurt him?
    Also They are chummin out and leaving rhode alone,Rhhode was iin the cocnut befor i went to bed,he was alone adn when i woke up the 2 newbies were in the coconut(how indy made it in,dont ask me his shell is bigger than the entrance) && they had kicked rhode out and he was under the other log.
    Oh and Even thought they are so big could i get another small one or even a micro for rhode to have a friend,or is that to dangerous.
    Please help!
    Please tell me they wont hurt rhode!!

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Id look into getting a bigget tank, especially now that you have a golfball size guy in there. Check on Craigslist and freecycle, a lot of people post free or cheap tanks on there.

8. NewlyCrabby

but i bought a new tank the day i got him :/ i have had this tank 3 days now i can't get a new one :/

9. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

Having different-sized crabs shouldnt be a problem - i have 2 the size of a nickel, one like a ping pong ball, and one bigger than a golf ball in a 10 gallon tank - they are perfectly happy. If you're looking for a new tank, also check www.kijiji.com (its a free online classifieds site, and you can search by city) BUT i wouldnt recommend feeding the fruit and flower food!!!!!!!!  for 2 reasons:
    1) Fruit and Flower food contains harmful chemical preservatives that are NO GOOD for your crabs (same with all other pet foods)
    2) A study done at the university of michigan proved that hermies eat better if they have a different food each night - the new smell seems to make them hungrier.

therefore, the best thing to do is to take a little piece of whatever you're having for dinner, like raw fruits, veggies, meat, eggs, etc, mince it up, and put it in their bowls. then, they have variety each night and get different nutrients. some of my crabs' favourites are organic Wheat Thins, mushed up pear, shrimp, and bananas. and the next time you make a fruit salad, fill a tupperware bowl with assorted fruit pieces and freeze it. then, you can take some out each night, and its soft when it thaws.
    have fun!
    -sarah

10. NewlyCrabby

Yahh,I now have 6 hermys,the biggest being just a bit smaller than a golf ball or also known as a Medium and my smallest being maybe able to fit on a dime and they are all fine!Thanks Sarah!