1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay, It's a Molting Party

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kaw0521, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaw0521

kaw0521 Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay....I feel like such a loser because I keep asking so many questions.:( I have one crab down/buried who surprised me and is I assume molting. She's been buried for almost 2 weeks. She is small...a little bit smaller than a quarter. How long will she stay down?

Well yesterday and today I noticed that her two crab friends have gotten a bit lethargic, and are digging some holes in the sand....play sand to sand castle consistency. When they were active, I called them the pooping machines because literally, I'd have to spot clean large amounts of poop daily (sorry if this is Too Much Info). Today and yesterday, definitly less poop. I've read from some to let them be and others isolate. My isolation tank would be a 5 gallon plastic tank which I understand is hard to regulate temp/humidity. The two which I believe are showing "pre-molt" symptoms are now hanging out in a small hole in the corner of my 10 gallon main tank together...cute but a bit worried. I am tempted to just let them be since there is already one down under. I have lost two crabs with my isolation and the temp/humidity is perfect in the 10 gallon main tank. Thoughts anyone? Thanks...you all rock with the valuable info!

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Kaw, please don't feel like a loser, it is so much better to ask a lot of questions and get it right than to lose a hermie from not knowing, right? And everyone here is more than happy to help you, we have all been new crabbers before! I'm still pretty new myself, and attribute my knowledge to lots of reading and lots of question asking! :)

As for your little molter - mine was down 4 weeks, and he was nickel sized. So don't worry, he will be up when he's ready.

Many people have had molters molt in the main tank with no incident, so in your case where you don't have a decent iso but seem very confident in your main tank conditions, I would not worry and let your molters do their thing. I have done that with mine, and have several down at once (my first time too!).
    Just keep the food and water dishes fresh (change daily), and be ready with high calcium/protein/chitin food for them when they do come up, along with some fresh fruits and veggies.
    I have found my crabs love organic worm castings (it's earthworm poop!) and it is very nutritious for them.

As long as your substrate is a good healthy depth, the crabs should not bother each other molting. I cannot guarantee, but as I said, many choose to let their crabs molt together and it turns out well. just be prepared if you see signs that a molter is being disturbed by another crab, and in that case, have a 2 liter soda bottle ready, cut off at top and bottom, tall enough to keep other crabs out and to also keep them from digging under to the molter. Also have a couple soda bottle caps for the fresh and ocean salt water for the isolated molter.
    Hopefully you will never have to use it, but it's good to have on hand.

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

When you move them to another place they stress out. I have left mine in the main tank with no molt problems. Crabbyjo is right on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.