1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Spill Discussion

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by vckums, Jun 30, 2010.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

I received this email and wanted to share it with everyone. I am hoping to get opinions, ideas from all the members on here. So lets get going!

Dear Hermit Pet Crab Store owner:

This morning I wanted to reach out to hermit crab lovers and hermit crab people listeners:  It is in regards to the gulf oil spill the pictures of dead and or dying hermit crabs and the hopes of sending out ideas that maybe like they are saving the turtles and birds and some groups are investing to ship them to other places--well what about the hermit crabs--they are God's creation also--if you have any ideas or want to start funds and reach out to save the hermit crabs lives---please start now--
    There are adoptions for hermit crabs--how about reach outs to save the hermit crabs from the poisonous gulf oil gook that is killing them in several states--Louisiana, Alabama, Florida etc...

Thank you,

Sheri

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Re: Oil Soill Discussion

I agree! If they are creating rescue teams to help save dying and/or suffering birds and turtles who were exposed to the oil spill, then they should do the same for the hermit crab population that are dying and/or suffering from the oil spill as well. If you, for any reason, need member participation in some kind of organization, or if you need funds, or people who are willing to rescue and/or adopt dying/suffering hermit crabs, you can count on me! I am a huge animal-lover, and it is very stressful and emotional for me to see all of these animals hurt because of this terrible event. :(

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

After having lived in that area, I will say that the economy (people) have been hit really hard, although there are a decent number of people (including some retirees) that who are trying to help. Even my husband gets sad over the number of pictures of hermit crabs trying to crawl through oil, and that's saying something. Poor crabs...but most of the oil-removing chemicals would be lethal to crabs, so what can you do?

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Isn't it amazing that since Man has inhibited (no, it's not spelled wrong) the Earth, it and it's native inhabitants have been on a downward spiral ever since.
    We know it all, we are selfish users, and we don't care a thing about what or who else lives on OUR earth.

AND STILL we abuse it for the sake of an almighty dollar.  Every year it becomes more evident that the tables are turning and we now have to face what the native, intelligent creatures have had to face for eons since our arrival.

We can't change overnight what our ancestor's or the guy two days ago has done, but hopefully we can begin to help make it right.  If we all could do something each and every day......
    As far as the fate of the Hermies, I soo wish I had a suggestion.  :crybaby2:

5. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Why is this our personal fault? As far as I'm concerned, this was an accident.
    So, does anybody know how the oil spilled in the first place?
    I just don't like it when the whole human race is blamed because of one guy's big mistake. It is most likely the boat driver's fault, but I'm not going to blame the human race for it. I blame the spiller, and no one else. There have been lots of people (human people, to be precise) who caused lots of bad destructive
    horrable things, but I don't think any of us belong in that catagory. I'm just asking that before people say human in plural, ask yourself if you, personally, really did anything wrong.
    Back on the subject of what I think about what happened to the crabs,
    I think that if you want to help, that may be a good idea. But if it requires
    hermit crab killing cleaners, then I don't know why the bother. I'm sure there are plenty of animal-safe answers out there, but I wouldn't know how to find them. What about you guys?

6. Donny (TMNT)

The message above may seem too critical here, so if the moderators
    think its too offensive, I'll remove it. I'm just expressing my views here, but
    it still may be too much.

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I'm a little encouraged by the most recent news of the spill - they have issued a ban on photography and reporters within 65 feet of any currently-worked-on oil booms or cleanup efforts. It's really hard to do your job and do it well without having reporters and photographers taking pictures of everything and writing down things to later quote out of context and twist your meaning around. This means that no reporters will get in the way, make a bigger mess of things (which does happen when people who don't know what they're doing try to figure out what's happening), and that the workers can actually focus on working more than avoiding reporters.

Finally, someone's getting a tiny bit of common sense...now to get that oil-skimming boat to work. Oh, and Donny - I agree that whoever is directly responsible for the spill should be in trouble. But it isn't just one person. When that oil well was drilled, certain emergency shutoff measures weren't required that are required in other countries. So the well was put in without those measures, leaving us no way to turn it off in case something unthinkable happened like it has. So while the guy who hit the oil rig or whatever it was that caused this mess in the first place should be held responsible, so should the people who thought that there was no need to put in safety measures that weren't required because "that'll never happen to us...no one will know we saved money by not putting in these more expensive options."

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Nope Donny, not too critical.  I understand and respect what you're saying.

What my tirade was about was that human beings have always been so careless when it comes to taking from the Earth.  As Emmac mentioned, it was carelessness and cutting corners to save a few dollars that caused/contributed to the terrible mess that all creatures there are going through.

We aren't responsible for the mess because we didn't cause it, but we all know someone and history throughout the eons has proven, that some human beings could care less who or what gets ruined.  The rest of us who do care are frantic in our efforts to save and help what we can.

The people and the other living creatures... it is just so devastating.  Hopefully there will be some concerts or fundraisers to help out the people whose lives have been and will be changed for many years to come.

We can't give up hope.

9. Donny (TMNT)

Thanks for the understanding, guys. I've heard a lot of trashing of the human race, and it just bugs me. Its important to find whoever's in charge before
    blaming an entire 6,000,000,000 (six billion) people. 

10. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

I understand and respect your beliefs and opinions, Donny (TMNT), as I hope you do mine.

11. Donny (TMNT)

Although we don't agree on everything, I respect that you have an opinion,
    and that you don't sway from one thing to another.
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." I don't know who said that, but its a good quote.

12. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Thank you. And you are right, we do not agree on everything, that's for sure! :chuckle: And I do not sway from ANYTHING! I am a very stubborn, persistent person, who sticks up for what I believe in and think is right, such as animal rights. Maybe that's because I was born in 1997, which is Year of the Ox according to the Chinese Zodiac. What animal are you, Donny (TMNT)? I hope his is not too personal a question. If so, please feel free to not answer it. I do not mean to be nosy.

P.S. The quote is a good one, which I will remember!

13. Donny (TMNT)

I don't believe that the chinese zodiac rules really effect people, but I do know
    what mine is. I'd tell you, but the zodiac thing is based on the day you are born,
    and I'm like the cautious hermit crab roaming the beach, who shrinks in his shell
    at the sound of a soda can opening, so you can understand my discomfort.
    But I don't mind you asking. :)

14. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

No. The Chinese Zodiac bases off of what year you were born in. I am not trying to pressure you into giving away information you do not wish or feel comfortable giving away. I am just correcting you.

15. Donny (TMNT)

Okay. Lets go back to the oil spill discussion.

16. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Alrighty, than.

17. Donny (TMNT)

There's actually two places people can talk about it, if they've read my new thread. Thanks for posting there, by the way.

18. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

You're very welcome! I am so glad I have gotten back to posting! Do you remember the time when I deleted my old Hermies4Ever account, because it was getting unorganized, and I had so many posts, votes, and useless topics, etc;.? And when I created my new Hermies4Ever account, I wouldn't post at all, because I wanted to keep the new one clean and organized? I would only send people PMs, (Personal Messages) and vote on monthly photo contests. But that is it. Now I am back in business, and turning over a new leaf. I am a posting fanatic! :D

19. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

What is worrying me is that although they're cleaning up the water they're going to allow the oil that was washed in with the tide and then covered in more sand to just STAY there.  I'm afraid to see what effect that will have on any critters in there that bury themselves on the beach.

20. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

And unfortunately, many creatures that live in the ocean like to dig and bury themselves in the sand in the ocean and on the beach... Critters such as hermit crabs, clams, mussels, sand dollars, crabs, scallops, etc;. Most of these animals happen to be mollusks and crustaceans.