1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Spill Discussion

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by vckums, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ema

ema "Third Molt In Progress"

LOL! I'm watching our rights granted in the Constitution seemingly hop right out the window ... Not this one instance per se ... But you know what I mean.

And they sit and bicker like a room full of preschoolers up there in DC. It's no WONDER nothing ever gets done.

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Well, the cap has so far stopped the flow of oil. They're waiting to make sure that the pressure doesn't get too high while they're drilling the relief well.

Oh, and H4E, we don't have "a ton" of oil. Oil takes several million years to get to the point where we can use it, and we've only got a few places with oil left. It may seem like a lot now, but we will run out. No one can say for sure WHEN that will be, but it will happen. Oil's getting harder and harder to find even now, and the harder it gets to find, the more expensive gas prices will get (and, depending on where you live, already are expensive - the cheapest gas around me right now is $3.06 per gallon, but at my husband's parents' house, it was only $2.30 per gallon). Without gas and diesel, no one in the US will be able to ship anything (after all, those products don't walk to your store) and stores will run out of stock. Think about all of that plastic packaging new toys and such come in - that's all made from oil by-products. Most plastics are petroleum-based. A lot of lip glosses are too. That's why some types of it are called "petroleum jelly" - they're actually made from oil! Without oil, life the way you and i know it wouldn't exist. It'll change soon - there's only so much oil and so much coal (a lot of power plants still use coal) under the surface of the earth.

It's interesting how your perspective can change, though. I just moved to Germany for the next 3 years. Over here, the only drink you can get in a plastic bottle is bottled plain (non-mineral) water. Everything else is in glass bottles, even coke and sprite! The trains are electric, and don't put out any pollutants. More people walk and bike to work than drive...but that's partly because the roads are pretty narrow and there's very little parking. There's also a very good bus system and rail system not just in cities, but between cities. The sidewalks are also wide enough and there are trails for people to bike to work. I can bike to the next city and back from where I'm at right now (in a hotel, still trying to find a house) without going on a road, and in about half an hour. It's awesome! People don't waste money on A/C - they use fans, which use less electricity, open their windows, and go outside. Every store during the summer puts their merchandise outside while they're open. Even restaurants are all outdoors during the summer, except for a few. They don't use chemical-based fertilizers, they use cow manure. That way they don't have to waste the plant nutrition in the manure.

Oops, forgot to add one thing - they use wind energy here too. There are windmills ALL OVER the countryside. No one complains about it either - they are grateful for the non-polluting energy source. It's not like in the USA, where when a wind farm was proposed to be put near an area that is a playground for the rich and powerful (Martha's Vineyard/Cape Cod Massachusetts), every single one of them said no. These are, in some cases, powerful Democrat Senators like Ted Kennedy. Senator Kennedy was all for exploring alternative energy sources and against drilling for oil in Alaska. But he opposed a wind farm which might, on a clear day, be seen from his house in that area (as opposed to his other houses...). I guess it's okay to put up windmills (which aren't ugly; I rather like the way they look sticking up out of the countryside) in the middle of other peoples' views as long as it doesn't block yours...your view is more important because you're rich? I love politicians, really, I do...

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

we don't have many wind mills in illinois but I have seen a few I think they are cool looking. We can ot I assume we all agree on one thing this oil spill we effect us in some one or some how in many yrs to come.. just cause it has been capped and stopped doesn't mean there won't be long term side effects. I myself would love to not have the air on, it's the hubby that works out in all day & comes home and wants to be cooled off, I'm in it all day where I work so I'm ready for some fresh air.

4. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Yes, I believe that oil spills aren't just bad for the water and animals.
    It could terrorize the economy because we don't have enough, and oil prices will shoot sky high. These two things make oil spills extremely deadly.

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

The bottom line is that all forms of energy have their draw backs
    example...
    They want to mass produce electric cars. I dont know about you but my electric here is run by our coal plants. So if everyone has an electric car it will really be run by coal. What would our air be like then.

Then theres solar... Solar cant be stored so its good if you have a nice sunny day. But on a cloudy rainy day there is no reserve.

Wind... That would be a sight. Thousands of huge windmills blanketing the countryside not to mention what would happen if theres a calm day.

Nuclear....A great clean reliable form of energy but..Everything machanical breaks no matter what it is. There is always a risk with everything we do starting with getting up in the morning.

P.S. Have you looked up Air Cars on the net? It sounds promising but I have never herd anything about them in this country..hum...I wonder why?

6. ema

Honestly I think the old school windmills are rather pretty ... I wouldn't mind a wind mill view at all!

7. Donny (TMNT)

I think it really would depend on where you put the windmills.
    I just don't think it really matters what it looks like, but you can't stick a huge metal mindmill in the middle of town. However, maybe if they had a special
    place to put all of them......I like the old fashioned ones too, but they don't make them anymore, they make these HUGE poles with giant blades.

8. ema

Yeah yeah ... So the US would look a lot like Kansas. So what. :biglaugh:

9. Donny (TMNT)

Unfortunately, the picture you're thinking of doesn't exist any more. I've seen pictures of the modern ones. Do you know what I mean?

10. emmac350

I think they've gotten at least partly beyond the storing solar energy thing. They just did a 24 hour solar plane flight last week, and it worked even at night. As for our windmills, they're like these - http://www.carefulplanettoys.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/windmills.jpg.

EDIT: a new article just came out about a solar plane that's been going for seven days straight through both day and night. I think they've fixed the storing solar energy thing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10664362

11. Donny (TMNT)

Thanks, emmac350.
    That's excactly what I was talking about when I said the windmills
    look way different.

12. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

My point is, that we are drilling for oil. When that oil is successfully transfered to the gas station, it becomes burnt up and causes global warming (the exaust fumes coming out of the car). Sorry for not making that clear.

13. ema

Like I said! Kansas! LOL! Driving through the west side of Kansas near Colorado ... Those are EVERYWHERE! Honestly I don't think they look that bad.

14. Donny (TMNT)

according to that point of logic, the carbondyoxide from the exhaust pipe
    is holding heat in one place. So, you think that eventually the carbondyoxide will accumilate and burn up the entire planet? Sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

15. emmac350

Donny, the idea behind global warming is that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere helps to hold in the sun's heat on our planet, warming it, melting the ice caps, and drowning us all. However, 40% of volcanic gases released is CO2. The amount of CO2 has been changing (just like the climate) since the dinosaurs roamed the earth. The earth has cooled and warmed since then, and carbon dioxide decreased dramatically until we went through the industrial revolution.

Want to help the planet? Garden. Compost your non-meat food scraps to help feed your plants instead of using chemical fertilizers. Grow as many plants as you can; do research to see what plants will take in the most carbon dioxide through photosynthesis. Oh, and recycle anything you can. Glass, paper, plastic, even wood is recyclable in some areas.

16. Donny (TMNT)

Earlier you said that trees release a substance, and that prevents volcanic explosions. That really just blows my mind. Could you explain?

secondly, I thought carbon dioxide helped plants. Am I thinking of something different?

17. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

we have a few of the windmills here in Illinois and more are going to be put up, I think they are cool looking, maybe if I see rows and rows of them maybe I will feel different. I think if they wanted to make them look better then maybe have wild flowers growing around them, functional and beautiful.

18. emmac350

Donny, Carbon dioxide, or CO2, is a byproduct of animal respiration. It's also found in the ocean and is released by fires, including in your car's engine, and during volcanic eruptions; it's also what plants take in during photosynthesis. They bind the carbon in the plants while releasing breathable oxygen (O2). It's the carbon cycle - we breathe in air, release carbon dioxide (we don't use all of the oxygen in what we breathe; in fact, we use very little of it, but the ratio of oxygen to carbon dioxide changes with more carbon dioxide for every molecule of oxygen that we exhale), and plants take in the carbon dioxide and convert it into oxygen, which we breathe in.

Carbon dioxide is essential for plants to live, you were right!

19. Donny (TMNT)

Well, in that case, I have no problem with it whatsoever.
    I thought that was true. I knew plants helped our breathing in some fashion, but I wasn't sure as to how.

20. emmac350

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.