1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh No.... Crabina

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Frogs_n_Flowers, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frogs_n_Flowers

Frogs_n_Flowers "Preparing For First Molt"

Crabina is missing:eek:... I'm freaking out.... There is no possible way for him/her to climb out. How do you know if they are molting. :confused:Do they fill in their holes as they go down, it doesn't look as if the sand has been dug.
    I looked everywhere, even pulled out all their stuff looking. I know not to did in the sand for there is a chance he/she may be down there. Oh my goodness... I'm a nervous wreck.:eek:
    If he/she is molting this will be my first. I just want to make sure he/she is molting and isn't loose in the house, I have a Boxer and a German Shepard that rome freely and he/she could easily be mistaken for a snack. I just don't see any way that he/she could get out. Nothing is high enough for them to crawl out. I'm still freaking....:eek:aaaahhhh!
    OK have to fix some spelling in this one my hands are shaking so bad I hit some wrong keys.

2. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Calm down. Relax and then take a deep breath. You'll be fine. :) She likely buried down on her own. Try not to dig her up and don't worry. Everything will be all right and she'll come up on her own.

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Our hermies do try to test our nerves and patience. She is more than likely down in a little tunnel she dug and she is giggling because you can't find her. ;)

4. Frogs_n_Flowers

Thanks you guys, I have calmed down a bit especially since I checked my PO and got new items from crab addiction, then I was excited about that. I got all kinds of goodies and I'd hate for Crabina to miss out :( I still look for her every time I go by. I just hope she is ok. I will keep you all updated. Thanks again!

5. Frogs_n_Flowers

OK I found Crabina, I was nosing around in the moss pit (large deep soap dish filled with moss) and there she was...ooops. Is it possible for them to molt in there, because when I picked up the moss to wet it she kinda just flopped out, so I picked her up and put her near the food dish, and she just went right back in there, so I was just checking. Thanks

6. WizKidsMom

I haven't had any of mine molt in the moss. But that is not to say that they don't.

Mine have gone to the moss pit to nap, hide, and to eat. It is a very popular place in my tank.

7. Frogs_n_Flowers

OK well I'm just not messing with her she seems happy and content in there.

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Glad you found her! They can bury down and leave no sign. Usually the sand will look disturbed, but if the other crabbies walk over the area, it could become invisible.

9. Frogs_n_Flowers

Thanks for letting me know, when I can't find one I start looking for signs of digging in the sand. Bam Bam kinda dug him a lil "ditch" to lay in, but has moved since.

10. Stephen2342

Stephen2342 "Preparing For First Molt"

Yeah, my hermeis dig "ditches" to lay in all the time.

But I was wondering about the moss pit. Where do you get the moss from and what do you have to do to "take care" of the moss? Thanks in advance :)

11. WizKidsMom

You do have to be careful with moss. Do not get the moss from the pet stores as that is full of sticks and other stuff like beaked moss. It's okay for reptiles, not hermies. I was pulling out all kinds of stuff and left with not much moss.

I now use Hiawatha Moss which you can get at any craft store like Michael's. This may have only a few sticks - which I pull out. I soak it in dechlorinated water, then put it in a plastic soap dish with a suction cup for a second level (no metal). Keep it moist with dechlorinated water.

You can also use Cushion moss or Frog moss. My hermies love it as they snack on it and hide under it.

12. Frogs_n_Flowers

I got my moss from hermit crab addiction (vckums), I just change it out after a lil while, they seem to love it, they bury themselves in there. I keep it moist with saltwater. I had a lil bit down bottom for them but they seem to like to throw it around everywhere when I'm sleeping so I keep mine in a deep soap dish then I don't have to pick it out all the time.
    I got the deep soap dish from the dollar tree, walmart didn't have one that deep. I had bought 2 short ones at walmart and someone had recommended the dollar stores for different things and then I saw the deep dish, had to have it I thought it would be perfect for the moss and it is:D
    Mine also dig ditches to lay in, it kinda reminded me of a dog the first time I saw it...LOL!

13. Frogs_n_Flowers

Should I be using dechlorinated water instead of saltwater on my moss?

14. WizKidsMom

I use dechlorinated water to keep the moss alive and green as long as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.