1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OH GREAT...I MESSED UP...update to I'm worrie

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kaw0521, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaw0521

kaw0521 Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay...so in a previous post I mentioned that I had two down, under the "I'm worried" thread. I mentioned I have a lonely crab. Well I go to change water and food and check on him. I go and pick him up and not until I'm holding him do I notice a pile of exoskeleton on the sand. He went and surface molted on me. Now I'm STRESSED OUT that I may have totally upset him because I handled him. I don't understand why he surface molted when he has tank mates who I assume found the sand okay and buried down. UGH!!!!!

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It's ok---don't panick---I just did the same thing (only mine was buried).
    Put him with his exo back in the same spot if possible and put a coco hut or something like that over him so he can be in a darkened place and feel secure. Just be patient and don't disturb him...there's a good chance he'll be ok. Just remember---patience. (believe me---we have all been there) :)

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yes. Make sure after he is done he has salt water and calcium stuff. You're lucky. I adopted one crab that had been dug out of the ground without his exoskeleton. And I had to supplement it and he was totally stressed from the 45 min car ride home and being in the freezing cold for a minute or so.

4. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

He should be fine as long as you put a hut ove rhim as has already been suggested and leave 'im be. I've done that about 5 times before with Giant, my crab who loves to surface molt and hates digging. (Guess she's way girlee like that!) Best of luck.

~flamelet~

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Don't worry! I had two successful surface molts, and strangely, no regular ones yet. Ocean and Sherbert did the same thing! Ocean went into a strange postition, so I thought she was dead at first. I put her in a box but a week later I heard scratching noises and it turned out she molted! Then, I ISOd her for a couple of weeks. Sherbert molted in the food dish. I put a coco hut over her and she was fine. You don't have to worry about this because your other ones are digging, but I had to section the coco hut off when Ocean and Crusty kept on visiting their friend! I used cd cases to isolate the coco hut in the corner so Sherb could have some privacy. If your diggers come back up and try to get in, you might need to do this. Good luck! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.