1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Topic.. Kitten

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by ItsMeg, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Ok so I got a kitten (Amani) yesterday. Supposedly, he was litter trained. Howerver he hasn't used his litter box. He tinkled on a newspaper that was in the corner and he went number two in an empty Bud Light box a few minutes ago.
    I've been taking him to his litter box, and I've moved his paws around in the litter hoping he would get the idea but it hasn't worked.. and I'm kind of freaking out a little.. any advice? :confused:

2. Pamela_C

Pamela_C (Micro Crab)

Move the littler box temporarily to where the newspapers are if that is where he's going. What type of litter are you using? Some cats are picky, others don't care. What type of litter was being used at the previous owners? My fist cat, that I had for 12 years, went in a corner and we decided that was where the littler box should go. Whith the one I have now he would not go in shreaded paper (didn't know I was going to want another cat a year after the the death of my other cat, so I had gotten rid of the litter box) and held it all day until I got off of work and got some actual litter.

Congrats on the new kitty!

3. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

When I had my kitty, he would crap all over the place and pee everywhere if I changed his type of litter (learned my lesson) so, if you changed it then I would change it back to what he had before

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

How old is the kitten? If you are using a regular sized box it may be too big and intimidating for him, try a more shallow aluminum disposable pan with a little litter in it see if that works, you can also quarantine him to one room like the bathroom with the litter box until he uses it, at least tile is easier to clean! Find out from the person you got him from what kind of litter THEY were using and try that too.

5. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    AWWWWWW a kitten!!

6. Jessafall

Jessafall "Preparing For First Molt"

our indoor cats were not using the litterbox for a couple of weeks recently and we couldn't figure out why. then my mom thought maybe it's the new cat litter she got which had baking soda(clumping action) so one morning I went to walmart to get the old clumping kind without baking soda and that solved our problem. the cats simply didn't like the smell of the baking soda. BUT NO it didn't stop there. then we remembered in our old house our dog Emma would lay in front of the doorway of the backroom and not let the cats through. so our indoor cats were still peeing in the living room after we had gone back to the old litter. so my mom got some babygates and now Emma is only allowed in the kitchen and upstairs when no one is here so the cats can get out to the litter box which now solved our problem.

needless to say just play around with areas of the house where your kitten is going and be patient. it will take a bit for it to realize the litterbox is it's friend!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.