1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Topic... But I need some advice...

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by ItsMeg, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

My boyfriend and I recently decided to rescue a dog from a local animal shelter. And we realize we have alot of preparing to do... and I have a few questions.

What would you consider as "the best" brand of dog-food?

As for training, what would be the best way to go about that? I heard clickers work well, but does anyone have experience with those?

Also, I'm looking for a unique, classy dog bed-- at a reasonable price.

And of course, there are MANY other questions I have but these are the only ones that are really sticking out in my mind. So... I need some advice that I KNOW you guys are good for :D

Thanks,
    Meg

2. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

if you do a google search for safe dog food list would use one of thoe. A lot of the cheaper brands are actually bad for dogs and can harm them. I pay a lil more than an average person would pay for dog food but its natural and really good. My dog even seems a bit more healthier IMO.

3. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

I used to get my old dog Eukanuba (sp?), however that brand is hard to come by since I moved further North.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

First of all thanks for rescuing- all mine are rescues and I worked at a shelter.....If you want the truth and most people dont want the truth if you spend money on a quality food then your dog will have a better life with less illness down the road, its an investment- like our bodies you put junk in- you get disease in the end! That being said start with if you can buy it in a super market then DONT. Top of the line is like Flint River Ranch- Nutro- Natural Balance etc etc. MANY of these companies will send you samples..............I dont feed my dogs necessarily want I want them to eat but I had to compromise. I feed mine Royal Canine and Natural Balance Dog food rolls........also Nutrish from Rachael Ray- BUT since I cant give them what I want and alot is lost in the processing of the food they get a supplement called Enzyme Pro+.

Beds you can get at Walmart-and Target- I have done it all when it comes to beds. If you have Sams club they have good prices too. Get a bed that the cover comes off an you can wash-otherwise your going to the laundromat.

Training is per dog- some respond to clicker- some to just firm tones. You should always maintain an alpha roll not to be mean just in authority- they need that to feel secure. Some people go overboard with that --- and its a peeve of mine but whatever..........rescue dogs have issues somewhere in their makeup- sometimes its not a big deal--sometimes it is---PATIENCE, there may be a times when you feel you made a mistake but hang in there...........they need you they are just scared and cant trust you. I have 4 and they all dont get along- I have some interesting days LOL

if you want more help just ask they are my life!!!

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't know much about dogs and stuff but if you go to the guiding eye dog place they have dogs for adoption that are really well trained and just flunked some exam on not freaking out when someone sits on them really hard.

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Well if you want to train your dog like sit, lay down the pet thing to do if reward your dog with a treat not a "good dog" and don't just pet him when he does the trick. When you trust your dog enough bring a treat while your walking with him and try to see if you can walk with him without a leash. I use Purina little bites for my dog Balto since he 9 years old but that just my dog. You can test what your dog likes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.