1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Chain Reaction

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by DaisyCrab, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I posted yesterday about my little Robby molting. Well he seems to be fine, and to have shed all of his exo. He's not up moving around but I did see him do a little "twitch" earlier.
    The strange thing is, 3 of my other crabs seem to be molting too! Georgina has been burried for nearly 2 days. Julia & Ariel are burried too, not to my surprise, they're practically joined at the shell. AND they're burried side by side.
    Is this a coincidence or what???

2. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

Keep in mind I am very new to all this, but I have read that molting can occur in groups like that. As a biologist that makes a lot of sense to me as the molting hormone from one crab probably has an affect on all the others. Think of how all the women in one household often go through their monthly cycles at about the same time...

But since I haven't even gone through a single molt yet, this is just a thought and not from experience!

3. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Mine all seem to molt together too. When one goes down, it starts a chain reaction!!

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I have four crabs and only one has molted...however, I did notice that the other crabs began burying themselves after he molted. Remember that the tank conditions need to be optimal...maybe your tank is at that optimal moment?

5. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Just wanted to say that Robby's molt went great, he's looking pretty and busy eating his exo.
    Now I have to wait for my 3 girls to come up. This is nerve wracking!!! lol.

6. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

It's a phenomenon crabbers sometimes call 'Mass Moulting". Right now in my 10 gallon I have 12 teeny and smalls. The first 3 weeks everyone was up and running around. The last two weeks only 5 have been up every day. So I consider 7 going down within a week a Mass Moult.

In my 29 gallon tank, I have 12, which were all up for about 2 months. Then, within a week, 5 went down to moult, another Mass Moult. Now it's at the point where it seems that everytime one comes up from moulting, another one goes down. But I consider that normal.

So it's not unusual if you have just a few crabs for most of them to go down at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.