1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oak leaves

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by vckums, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Anyone able to get me a bunch of oak leaves? I will pay or trade in crab foods.

2. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I should be able to get you some oak leaves, how do I get them to you?

Also, they are likely to crumble in shipping. Do you have any need for oak bark. I also have a good bit of that stored away. Just let me know if I can help.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  3. vckums

vckums Moderator

I can send a big envelope to you to fill up. Just PM me your address and I can send it out there. I truly appreciate it!

4. nancy

I'm so thankful that you are going to make a food with oak leaves in it. I've mentioned the benefits of them in several of my posts and it never seemed like anyone took me seriously. I recently did a deep clean of my crabitat and found I hadn't lost a single crab. I think that cellulose is a mandatory addition to a crabs diet. Thanks for giving me a chance to speak my peace about it again.

5. nancy

I'm sorry I got carried away. I'll shut up now. (Yipee........)

6. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

Do hermit crabs like to eat the oak leaves? I've never heard of that before.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yes they do! Make sure to clean them and then freeze them for a few days to kill any bugs that could be on there. Then set it in the tank and they will munch on it

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Nancy, celluse is very important to a hermit crabs diet, so keep talking about it!! If people cant use oak leaves, then organic popcorn is another option they can use. Mine are fed popcorn about 2 times a week and it's gone in the morning when I get up.

9. nancy

Thank you Vicki, I feature oak leaves and bark in my dry mix, along with grated cuttlebone, spirulina, irish moss ,kelp, wheat germ,roses, jasmine, chamomile, marigold, crushed unsalted peanuts and cornmeal. There are brief mentions of oak leaves and bark on other websites, but I include these specifically as part of an action plan to keep my crabbies from preying on each other during a molt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.