1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oak Bark

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by crabbiegal, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbiegal

crabbiegal Hi, I'm New Here!

I see that oak is good for hermies and since I have an oak tree in my yard I make them a little oak salad, but I see oak bark is also recommended. Do I just cut me off a little, clean it, bake it, then crush it? I was also wondering if walnut bark is any good since they can eat walnuts. Thanks:)

2. foreverwilbur

foreverwilbur Hi, I'm New Here!

My hermits eat maple bark. I usually pick a stick about thumb width - one that's dead, not off the tree. I microwave it a minute, let it cool and stick it in the tank. They climb on it and pick off the bark themselves. There's no need to crush it or anything - thats why they have sharp pointy claws! They make lots of poop so I only give it to them once a week the day before I clean them tank.

And make sure it's your tree that you know isn't sprayed with pesticides. In my town the trees at the curb are owned by the city and they spray them sometimes.

3. Susie

Susie Hi, I'm New Here!

I give my hermits oak bark all the time. They love it. I just pick bark off the tree, clean it in declorinated water, and bake it in the oven to dry. I don't crush it or anything, just put the peices in the tank. I also keep oak leaves in the tank all the time. They eat them, hide in them, and they have some type of nutrition in them that the hermies need. I clean the leaves in a pan of declorinated water to make sure there are no bugs on them, then dry them. I put the clean leaves in plastic bags after they are dry to store them. I take the old ones out of the tank and replace them with new ones about once a week of so and have not had any problems with mold. I keep about half a dozen in a pile on the substrate. Of coarse they don't stay in a pile very long! Susie

4. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

I think there is something dangerous about walnut bark, but it has been a long time since I researched it.
    I usually boil bark before feeding it. They love crabapple bark too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.