1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nutribird p-15 tropical

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by rugh1982, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

it contains sugar
    id say no its not safe

3. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

it depends on the sugars used. I wouldn't think it's bad, but you never know...

4. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

why sugar is bad?

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Their ingredients list is REALLY dodgy in my opinion.

I mean, what cereals? What seeds? What fruit? Veggie protein from what kind of veggies? What the heck is derivatives of vegetable origin? Sugars are bad because they have no nutritional value, but fill crabs up so they get less of the right nutrients that they need. What minerals? Not all minerals are crab-safe...L-Lysine is good if you get it from the food it's originally in (it's found in red meat, eggs, and many other protein sources) but the additive type is used because of the lack of any natural protein sources in the treat. I mean, why not include dried protein sources instead of removing the proteins from their original source and adding them as a chemical version instead? Methionine...it's another natural substance that we feel the need to chemically remove and add to things instead of just putting the original sources (which are safe for animals - sesame seeds and other nuts/legumes) in the food. Yucca is not on any of the safe food lists, so I wouldn't want to try it out on my hermies. Fructo-oligosaccharides are artificial sweeteners that are currently not approved for use in baby foods/formula, and some of the sources it is extracted from aren't crab safe (garlic and onions). What vitamins? Why bother adding chemical versions of vitamins, why not just give vitamin-rich foods in the first place? And what trace elements? Many "trace elements" can be toxic to crabs (i.e. many metals may be fine to feed birds, which have a decent liver/excretory system to remove them from their systems) but safe for other animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.