1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOW WITH PICS - Giant adoptee crab finally came up

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by CrabbyChris22, Oct 8, 2006.

1. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Yes, I've been starting to get a bit concerned as we picked him (I'm not really sure of the sex) up near the end of July or beginning of August and he buried a day or two after that.  Furball, the smaller of the two buried at the same time but came up weeks ago; that one is the piggy crab I spoke of in another post.  Furball had molted shortly before we got them but Pinchy (he/she really isn't, one of the twins named it) looked in need of a molt; no toenails at all.  This crab is big, really big; it takes up my entire palm.  I thought I'd posted pics of them when we first got them but I just did a search and can't find a thing.

Oh well, he's super friendly but really strong too so my hand is all scratched up from the toenails.  He's not pinchy at all though.  We got some pics tonight but I'm tired from running around all day so I don't want to do the whole download then upload to photobucket and then link everything tonight.  I'll post them in the AM though.  His color is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.  I was really worried about this guy but it looks like he pulled through fabulously.  Yes, stay tuned and I'll have pics up tomorrow.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Re: Giant adoptee crab finally came up

I will anxioulsy await the pics  :hareiam:

3. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Re: Giant adoptee crab finally came up

I can't wait to see them! 

4. CrabbyChris22

Ok, here they are.  I was so excited to get these up this morning.  He's still up and sitting in the sun this morning.  Just look how big he is and what beautiful color he came up with.  Not as big as Kirby is, by any means, but he's my biggest crab.

For your viewing ease, the pics are clickable.

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

[​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

5. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

That is a BIG crabby!!!  What beautiful coloring!  Is her gentle, or is that BP threatening?  I've noticed that some of the bigger crabs seem more adjusted & tend to open their BP's less in warning.

6. CrabbyChris22

So far it's been very gentle, no pinches as of now.  That pincher will cause some damage if/when it ever gets me.

7. queenofthecrabs

queenofthecrabs (Small Crab)

Chrispy...what a beauty!!!!  A perfect molt!!!! 

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:cowboy_grin: Land sakes!!!!!! That sure is one purty critter there! He even has eyelashes to flirt with!  :vinkko:

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Gorgeous!

10. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

I love how Kirby was included in that :) He is definitely a gorgeous crab! Congrats Chrispy..

Speaking of Kirby..he has yet to molt since i have had him (since July) I'm wondering if he needs a deeper sand/dirt area and if he thinks it is too shallow for him to dig..which it probably is.

Anyway...congrats again!

11. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Sure is a cutie Chrispy!  I love all the hair!  Looks so fuzzy!  Does he mind if you "pet" his fuzz?  :shuffle:

12. CrabbyChris22

I played a little with the fuzz on his pincher.  Whoever said that about his eye lashes, he does have them.

KirbysMom, you should make sure that the sand is at least twice as deep as he is tall.  If he stands 3 inches, the sand or substrate needs to be at least 6 inches somewhere.  I do the entire tank that way, but you can just do one side of the tank or one corner but it will need to extend out some.  I think I have mine even deeper than the standard twice as deep, mine could be even 3 times deeper in some spots.

Me and Pinchy thank you for all the kind words.

13. KirbysMom

KirbysMom Guest

Joey..whenever I hold Kirby he comes out of his shell pretty far..I am working on getting him to let me pet his back and sometimes he will soemtimes he wont. THe other day I was able to for a few seconds before he curled back in. As far as the "fuzz" goes...Kirby has lots, but doesn't seem to mind it. I can touch it but it is more of a if he gets too sensitive he will crawl back in. Maybe Chrispys giant is a little less sensitive :)

I will have to try to make a deeper corner for him...I don't know how deep I can get it though since it is only a 20g long...I will see though.

14. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

How neat!  Wood is the only one that I can really see the fuzz on, he isn't much up to letting me pet it.  I think it would so cool to feel it  :cheesygrin:

15. kathleen

kathleen Guest

Whoa, that is a big crab!  Arent you a little bit afraid holding him?  He does have nice color.

16. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Wow!!  that looks like a great molt.  He/she is so big
    One of my crabs lets me pet his "fuzz" amd it feels so weird!

17. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Concrabulations on the molt! Do I hear extra treats! :cheesygrin: