1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure...

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by deege39, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

Where to put this thread...

This isn't an emergency, but I am just curious about this...

My guy, Sleepy, that just completed his first molt with me... Has lost two legs! Two! On his left side! I did not notice this until last night!!

I was looking at him closely while he was munching down, and sure enough there are two missing... I picked him up, he came out of his shell enough for me to see that it's clean where two legs should be.

I'm shocked, and feel like crap. :( I don't know what I did, how this happened or anything...

He's still regaining his color, he's still eating, he eats better than the other two guys in there right now; He doesn't seem to move much, but now I can understand why. He did crawl from the food dish to the other side of a water dish in the shade under a plant... So I mean, he does move, but I'm positive it's difficult.

These don't grow back do they? Which is why this bothers me... Should I do anything to help him?

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Unfortunately these things happen, but these are hardy little creatures. It wasn't anything you did.
    He will adjust, and when he molts again he'll grow back his legs. Just continue feeding him healthy foods. :)

3. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Yup... it's fine. Sometimes that just happens. Maybe you should fill out the questionare thing, just in case. I actually just bought two crabs from Earthbound like a month ago and one was missing its BP and one of its legs, and the other was just missing one leg. The first went down and molted in ISO and regained legs... still waiting on the other one. :p

4. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

When hermies molt they grow back there legs and also keep an eye on him

5. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

I filled out the questionnaire a few days ago, here it is in another thread:

http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum/emergency-care-911/5276-molting-problem-not.html

I've been keeping a good eye on him, I do with all my guys, every time I go in my room I do a "head-count". lol. Not noticing his missing legs at first might seem to contradict that, lol...

But thank you for all the help. :) I appreciate it and I'm sure my crabbies do too! I'm relieved to know that it wasn't anything I did, because I've been racking my brain and have been drawing blanks... Thank goodness it wasn't his BP or his LP, I would be so much more distraught. At least for now I know he's eating, and more than likely dipped into the drinking pool...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.