1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not new to crabs, just dumb

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Denise, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denise

Denise Hi, I'm New Here!

I have to say that the internet is a valuable tool when it comes to research. I have had crabbies for years, but never researched them. Now I feel so dumb, as I have been doing everything wrong. No wonder my crabs only lasted about 1 year. Every summer when I went to the beach I would get new ones. The people that sell them on the boardwalk don't even speak English, let alone know anything about crabs. I kept mine in a wire cage, because that's what they sold on the boardwalk. How dumb do I feel now? I am reading everything that I can find, so that my crabs can have a chance at a good life and a good environment. My first question of many will have to be "How do you know what species or kind of crabs you have?" Anybody have an answer for me?

2. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Hi, Denise! Welcome to HCRU!
    You mustn't be so hard on yourself.
    You made it here, so you're doing something right!
    I was adopted by my hermies, knowing nothing about them as they were handed to me, and I was told all the wrong things, too. When I found my way here, I learned SO much. There are many knowledgable people here, all willing to help, so ask away!
    If you scroll down on the main forum page, you'll see a section titled "Identify Your Hermit Crabs". Here is a link:
    http://hermitcrabsrus.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1110031172
    I hope that gets you started on species recognition.
    [​IMG]

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Hey Denise! Welcome to our growing hermie family [​IMG]

CJ is right, don't worry about the past...now you can move forward and get your new little guys all set up with conditions that will prolong their captive lives [​IMG]

As far as species go, there are currently 6 here in the US that are available. (Coenobita Brevimanus Indo/Brevy, Cavipes, Clypeatus Caribbean/PP/Purple Pincher, Compressus Ecuadorian/E/Eccie, Perlatus Strawberry/Straw, and Rugosus Ruggie/Rug) They really are quite easy to distinguish once you get the hang of it. Do you have the ability to post pictures of your crabs? Perhaps one of our members can help ID them. Our species page is going to be revamped a bit, so hopefully you will be able to easily ID your crabs in the future too.

4. Denise

Denise Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks CJ and Wendy for the kind words. Inow have $15.00 worth of crabbies and $130.00 worth of crabbie stuff. Got the aquarium, Cali-sand, EE, fake vines, hermie huts, food and treats. Have been reading everything I can find. The 4 crabbies seem much happier now than in the wire cage. They have changed their shells several times. I even watched a good fight over a shell. It was pretty funny. Now I just have to think of names for 3 of the 4, and identify which kind they are. From all the pics I have looked at they seem to be PP's.
    Thanks for all the help and info.
    Denise [​IMG]

5. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Hi, Denise!
    Your post made me laugh out loud!
    After I found HCRU, I had to accessorize
    my crabitat just like you! My hubby raised a few eyebrows...it's for the hermies I'd tell him, they NEED these things!!

Do you already have a thermometer and humidity gauge?

6. Denise

Denise Hi, I'm New Here!

CJ,
    I bought the thermometer and humidity gauge. Lost 2 of my crabs in a week. I think that they were very stressed on the trip home from the shore. Long car ride. Anyway, went to Petco today and spent another $30.00. Got 2 new crabs....one is a big beautiful strawberry, who got a name immediately. I call him big red. Lets see if I have better luck this time.

7. kuplakrabs

Denise,
    I feel your pain girlfriend LOL I think we can all relate to this senario. The tank, food, and accessories cost more than all of the crabs together.

Congrats on the new strawberry...they really are gorgeous. One thing to keep in mind is that they tend to like (and survive longer)warmer temps and higher humidity-aim for levels around the 79/80 marks for both readings. I'm sure you have read that you need to have two crabs of the same species on other forums...well this is a great theory and is definitely advisable, but it is not a death sentence to the lone species crab in any tank.

8. Denise

Denise Hi, I'm New Here!

Wendy,
    Thanks for the info. That was going to be my next question, or my next point of research. What do strawberries like and dislike? And do they need any special environment or food? I didn't read where you should have 2 of a species in a tank, so thanks for that info. Petco only had 1 strawberry when I was there. Looks like a return trip this weekend. Oh no, another $30.00. My husband and kids are laughing at me already. [​IMG]

9. kuplakrabs

Like I said, two of a species is a good idea, but not absolutely necessary. Your one straw can survive just fine with the other crabs.

Here is some info I posted at a different forum about the care of straws...some of it you may already know.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Both the Equadorian (C. Compressus) and the Strawberry (C. Perlatus) crabs live closer to the water than most of the other species. This means that they tend to have access to salt water at all times. According to Biololgy of the Land Crabs, their shell water has a higher salinity than that of a crab that dwells more inland. In addition, C. Perlatus has been seen sumberged or partially submerged in the tidal waters.

For these reasons, it is advisable to have a large salt water basin (in addition to your fresh water) for your Straws to fully submerge in and fill their shells. Salt water must be prepared using dechlorinated water and a salt mix made for aquarium water (ie; Oceanic Natural Sea Salt, Tropic Marin). Table salt must not be used because it contains man-made iodine which is harmful to crustaceans. Natural iodine found in sea water (and foods like sea weed and cuttle bone) is actually necessary for successful molting and overall health.

Straws also come from areas of the world where the temperatures are more tropical and thus require slightly higher temps and humidity. I house 6 species of crabs in my tank and they have all done well with the temp and humidity at about 78-80. There are different zones within my tank, so the crabs can choose the level that suits them while osmo/thermoregulating their bodies.

Some Straw owners report that their crabs "destroy" the tank with their climbing and digging antics. I have had 5 total-lost 2, and never had them up root my tank. The remaining 3 have all molted successfully with me as well. I would say if you are a beginner, do a little more research and read what others have to say about this species. Form your own opinion and then decide if you want to purchase them. They tend to be much more expensive than the E’s or PP’s. Around my home they cost about $11 each regardless of how big/small they are.</span>

As far as food goes, I offer them the same kinds of food that I offer to the other 5 species. A varied diet is key! Check out http://www.epicureanhermit.com for some great, easy ideas about what to feed them. It is Kerie's site (Kali_Ma) and she has taken a lot of the guess work out of what to offer [​IMG]

10. Denise

Denise Hi, I'm New Here!

Wendy,
    Thanks for all the great info. I spend my whole day at work on websites reading. Thank God I don't have any work to do at my job. I did notice about the salt water, and warmer tempertures. I also saw that you need to feed foods with carotene to keep their nice red color. Big Red does sit in the water dishes, both salt and fresh alot at night. He could use a new shell, and I've put the biggest ones that I have in the tank, but no luck yet. Going for sand, shells, and some different food tomorrow. We'll see.
    Denise [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.