1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not a new crabber, but new to here

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by foreverwilbur, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foreverwilbur

foreverwilbur Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm from Chicago Illinois and I've been crabbing now for 2 years.

A bit about my crabbing ways...

Crabitat:
    As a substrate, I use play sand mixed with saltwater to prevent mold, though I’ve never had a problem. I have gravel in my food/water area and recently I’ve added slate rock under my water dishes. They have a second level of Hiawatha moss, again mixed with saltwater and zapped in the microwave. They have a hidey cave and other climbing/hiding things, but mostly they hide in the moss all day and run around at night. Right now they have a mangrove sapling in a glass vase they're destroying too.

Diet:
    I rotate between several commercial foods. I use Gardner’s, Crab Island and Hikari. I have some food mixes from the hermit crab addiction store too. They get fresh fruits and veggies whenever I’ve got them. I have some frozen fish foods and baby food they enjoy. When their food dish is refilled, they get a dusting of cuttlebone powder. I’ve also got the hermit crab shovel and pail crunchers I give them a day or two a week because they poo blue everywhere otherwise! A cuttlebone chunk is always in the tank for crunching on. They also munch on maple bark about once a week. They have both fresh and saltwater dishes. I could go on about diet quite awhile; they’re very spoiled in that respect.

Shells:
    I generally keep 4 extra shells per crab. They all choose the same kind just to confuse me. Lately the fashion is fox shells.

Temps/Humidity:
    My humidity is always at 70% at least. My tank has a glass cover, which helps. In the summer, their tank is low to mid 80’s usually. In the winter it gets into the 70’s, and they have a blanket draped over them at night to insulate them. I use a combo of lights and an under tank heater.

Inhabitants:
    I’ve got 4 medium-getting larger PPs. I have one cavipe (or viola?), who needs a buddy, but I haven’t been able to find him one. I don’t want to get too many, just enough to observe the behaviors of some different species. I’d like some Rugs or E's in the future, that’s about it. I’ve not had any crab deaths the past year and a half. I did lose my first 3 like a lot of beginners. Two of my crabs were given to me by friends who thought I’d care for them best, and they’re all doing wonderfully!

So hi everybody! I've been lurking around awhile and now I'll be postingtoo!

2. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Welcome!I live in Illlinois too!(South Roxana) I have gravel too in the water & food dish area but,it's bad so I would replace it with more sand or ee (eco earth) that's what I'm doing this weekend.:D As for diet I would throw the commericial food away!A.S.A.P!There's metal in it all with some other bad things.Just give them some fresh/dried fruits & veggies.Go here for the safe food list....epicureanhermit.com - Food List Shells you got a pretty good rule but,make sure you have lots of choices & different kinds.:) If you want an E the crabbagepatch sells them.Hope it helps & good luck!

3. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I also use the Hikari Bio Pure products and they're fine...no worries!! Anyway, welcome to HCRU!!! It's a great site...lots of good people and info!!!

4. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Welcome to HRCU!

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WELCOME glad to have you here with us :D

6. foreverwilbur

foreverwilbur Hi, I'm New Here!

I've read all about commercail foods, trust me. However, I don't entirely agree that ALL of them are bad. I think in balance with other foods, they're OK. Some people have the time and money to do otherwise, but my dudes are doing very well. I did mention feeding them other foods.

And the gravel isn't bad. its covering maybe 1/8 of the surface area in the tank. It's only there to prevent mess and organic things molding in my substrate in food areas. It helps a lot. They're not harmed by it in the slightest.

Maybe you didn't notice I've had no deaths or illness in over a year and a half. I've had 19 successful molts. I messed up my first 6 months and lost a couple little dudes like everybody else but overall these guys are doing great.

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to the site

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.