1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Last night, I had a naked guy running around. So I took him and his shell out, rinsed his shell in dechlorinated water, and placed him and his shell in a cup to try to get him to go in to it. I waited for a while and he wouldn't go in the cup, so I stuck him and his shell in iso so he could have the proper temps and humidity. I figured he'd change back in to his shell (or another shell) shortly and go back in the main tank. I found him this morning, still naked, laying next to about four shells that would have fit him perfectly. I don't know what happened. He had freshly molted, too... he was still really pink... but for some reason he dug up, naked. I definitely feel like I should have handled it differently, but I'm still not sure what I should have done. Well it's too late for all of that now... he's gone... and I'll just have to pray that it never happens again.

2. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

And the bad streak continues...
    Very sorry. Hang in there.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

sorry Chuck- I just lost 2 also this week when I did my deep cleans.
    The stress was probably just too much for him

4. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I think if a crab digs up naked it's a sign that something went wrong with the moult. If that's the case, you certainly did every thing you could do to save him. I'm sorry you lost hime.

5. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

What is the deal. Why are we all loosing so many crabs, I don't get it. I hate to keep bringing up the IN THE WILD thing, but do you think that winter is just hard on crabs? Does anyone remember loosing more in the winter? I am really digging deep to find out an answer. I don't know about any of you, but it seems harder to keep the heat and humidity just right in the cold Michigan climate.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

:(I can't believe this is continuing. Chuck...I probably would have done the same thing. I do believe the emerging naked thing was a sign that something was terribly wrong. I'm so sorry!

7. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I live in Florida, so 'winter' doesn't exist here. And I'm still losing them.

8. alli'smommy

Yeah, I thought about the "winter" theory also. But as Hildegarde said, not all of us experience "winter" and are still suffering losses. I just don't understand it.

9. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Have you done a really hardcore deep clean yet? I don't understand why your crabs just keep popping like that. Maybe there's some disease(s) in there.

10. alli'smommy

I don't think all of us having losses have "disease" in our tanks! And Chuck just did a deep clean. I thing we're just having some really bad luck--that hopefully has to end soon!

11. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Wow. Ummm... yeah, I did. I mentioned it, actually. There aren't any diseases in the tank... thanks, though.

12. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

Aw :( I'm sorry about the large amounts of losses lately! That goes to everyone who has been losing and losing.

13. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

I just lost 4,hermies this winter sadly & I've been crabbing for 2,years now. I used to have 2,tanks (One for the tiny crabs & a bigger one for the larger crabs) Well my brother bought me a brand new 20,gallon long. I then decided to put all of my hermits in one tank instead of having to have to water & feed 2,tanks when all of them could fit in one. Ever since then the little ones have been attacked. :( Or they died because,of shell fights. :( I have a large variety of shells in my tank. Different size,shape,&&& types. I don't get it?!!? Sorry for blabing guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.