1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

night light

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by hermiefun, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I need some help I have been using the Nightcycle Lunar glow black heat lamp and I love the glow it sends off but there is one problem the bulbs i get keep burning out after a short time. The company i get them through has been great and keep sending me new ones but its getting annoying. So I am wondering which the best brand would be i dont want to have to get a new light every month. Please Help.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

I use an exo-terra night glow light, and have had the same one for at least 6 month now with out a problem. I keep it out side the tank away from the humidity, but I doubt even humidity would burn out a bulb. Do you get a lot of power fluctuations?

Jason

3. hermiefun

No i dont get alot of power fluctuations. Where do you get your bulbs from the exo terra one i found on the net are a little expensive for me at the moment but it really helps with the heat in my tank, as its getting real cold outside im having trouble getting it warm enough.

4. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I buy the ESU nightglow bulbs. at my petstore they have them for about 6 bucks apiece.

5. reader101

reader101 Banned

Cold here too. Do you have an uth? The reason I ask is that my l.r., where the hermies are, goes down to 60F at night. And the tanks are in front of the lg. window, but with just thermal curtains and the uth, I have to 'vent' my tanks in the evening to bring the median temp. down to 75F. I can only use the moonglow lid at night for a couple hrs. and I place it on top of the glass lid for humidity reasons.
    Between the uth and the moonglow led lighting on my tank, it seems to keep them very comfortable as far as heat and lighting goes. Heck of a lot easier and cheaper to place a uth under tank than constantly replacing bulbs. A uth draws approx. the same amount of power as a 7W nightlight bulb.
    JMO
    :D

6. hermiefun

Yes i do have a UTH i amy have to try and get a glass lid as i have a plastic one now so i cant place to light to close to it. The glass might help if i can put the light one top of it. I have my tank in my living room but i keep my house around 70. Is it to much stress on the hermies if the temp drops to around 73 at night? I have noticed my hermies love it when its 77.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

I don't think it would be a big deal if it hits a low of 73. Some nights are colder on the beach I would think. So are long as the fluctuations are small and do not drop too low they should do fine.

8. reader101

reader101 Banned

Definately get yourself a bi-fold glass lid - I saw a used, 30-gal. cover yesterday for $6.99. Keeps in heat, humidity, keeps pests out.

The outside temp. of the room doesn't really affect the tank temps. When you say 73, are you talking surface or sub. temp? As long as they can hunker down to about 77, as you say, they're happy. You might also want to consider just wrapping a blanket around the tank at night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.