1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly bought little hermit crab dug under 19 days and counting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by strawberryskittle, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

(I posted this once, but it didn't actually create my post??!?!?! Guess ill retype it again... shorter this time I guess)

I bought two hermit crabs because we thought it would be fun to "play around with" on vacation. I know, its horrible. I thought they would be nice and easy to have around. They sold them to us in those little plastic kits, two of them. The big one I got (neither are named) was at the top of the mesh tank with a bunch of the rest. The little one I picked was at the bottom along with some others, and I didn't really think anything of it, it just had a cute painted shell...:eek:... oops

Since then I've read all about them on the internet and feel much more attached to their cuteness. I've moved them out of the horribly small plastic tub into a 10 gallon, gave them a dish for salt water and a dish for fresh water both distilled, bought loads of shells that are natural (both are out of painted shells now), gave them nice, tall eco earth to dig in, and a climbing net. the temp stay around 78-83ish, and humidity around 80s. I feed them both fresh and processed store food, combo of egg/eggshells, shrimp, fruit, etc etc, and generally just spoiling them best I know how.

Initially, my big one was very active. It nearly lept out of the temp tub I gave them when I cleaned the tank. He was always climbing around and spilling things or just clambering over top the little guy. But the small crab never seemed to warm up, it would go for food and water, and once I saw it climb the net, but most of the time it would just sit curled up in its shell, day and night (even at 3am). I've worried about it for ages because it was always just so lazy...

The little one dug under 19 days ago and I have no idea where it is. The eco earth is completely covering all side of the tank, including the bottom, and I can't see it anywhere. The tank doesn't smell fishy, though the eco earth smell is overpowering and starting to mingle with a bit of mildewy smell, that I can't do anything about because I don't want to dig out the little one if hes even still live!

The little one is about 5/8 inches. Its been 19 days, no sign at all, I don't even see tracks of him digging up for food or anything! In that time, the big crab has become much the same way, he changes shells once in a while, but beyond that, does nothing but sit in a corner with his legs hanging out, even in the middle of the night, and generally just looks completely miserable. It looks like he's touched the food and salt water, but the fresh water hasn't been touched (they usually leave dirt in there). :(

What's going on, have I missed something in my environment that's slowly making them upset? :confused: The big one used to be so active, but now just sit there and barely does anything but clean and twitch his feelers around...:( The little one, I have no idea where he is, no sign or sound, I don't know if he's even alive, and I can't clean the eco earth at all and its starting to smell just a tad mildewy... what's going on?

2. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

He may be down for a molt. Also the humidity might be set to high if its in the uppers 80's. How long have you had the crabs?

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

The little one is probably down for a molt. Expect him to be up within a month or so of when he went down. don't dig him up unless he smells like dead fish. The humidity is probably high. It's good to keep it in the mid to high 70's. With the humidity to high, crabs are often lethargic. Also, test your gauge. There is a sticky on calibrating it in the general care section.
    Good Luck.

4. strawberryskittle

so sorry this is a repeated post on this forum I'm new, I guess you can sorta just get info from both of the threads till one gets deleted :S

5. strawberryskittle

I've had them for 7 weeks. I bought this hygrometer that... sticks to the side of my tank..so its stuck there at the moment :(. I have a mesh top lid that I just have a plastic sheet over that I sometimes pull back because I find the humidity of the eco earth to be really really hard for me to control :S

I'm trying to be patient about the little one, I guess I don't smell anything other than salt watery mildewy eco earth, though I did wish it would give some sign its still alive, I don't even have the slightest idea where it is, so that I can at least clean half the tank...

I'm just a bit worried about the big one now too since he's just...sitting there...made a little hole for himself in the dirt and just sits there all day and night :confused:

Now that I read the calibrating post, I wonder if the humidity fluctuations is stressing my big crab. The temperature in my room stays relatively warn (uncomfortably for me... ) but the humidity, it keeps jumping to like 80 or higher, and I flip an edge on the plastic cover and in a few hours it plummets to 60 or below and I rush to put the cover back on, this is definitely not a good system. My brother keeps trying to get me to do like a plexiglass top or something, but I really want to keep a mesh top as its easy to handle for me and I have to keep this tank relatively simple :/ not much space...

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I've had that problem before. Try to have the lid half on and half off untill you find a sort of balance. If this balance is a little low, add a sponge or take some humidifyer away.

7. strawberryskittle

I'm working on that now actually. The other tough thing is that I actually have a heavy-ish box on the lid, since the second day I put the climbing net in (when the large crab was still active), he actually climbed all the way to the top and was pushing the lid up to get out before I noticed and said :eek: "No! Bad!" So now I have a box there, and I'm working on just the right amount of the plastic sheet to pull back to keep the humidity around 70ish now. I think when I left the house today it was a little lower, like 68 or 69, so I'm still trying to work on the perfect balance.

Still no movement from the large hermie. I really should name them. He's sort of laying in his shell with his legs to one side and hasn't had food or water tonight. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw him moving his legs around a bit, but he stopped when I switched my computer monitor on (its as soft of a glow as I can get it).

I think I sound a bit obsessive, but I wouldn't worry so much if there wasn't such a sudden lack of activity. Not a peep! :(

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Usually they're really active for the first few days when you put them in a new tank or first get them, then they destress or molt. The little one is probably molting. I'm having the same problem with my humidity. Right now I have the mesh lid almost completely covered and it's 78%. Just keep on trying an you'll get it! :) The big one could be preparing to molt maybe. My hermit crabs always get really lethargic when they're about to molt. Is he spending any time in the salt water bowl and food dish? A lot of time in those places is another symptom.

9. strawberryskittle

The day before yesterday I added more salt water and the shell was (I use a mid sized scallop shell from the beach for the salt water) empty the next morning, and I assumed he must have tipped it over or something. The fresh water is untouched for several days now (which worries me) and I can't tell if he's eaten the eggs or been at the pellets. Last night Im pretty sure he hasn't been out at all. He has changed shells frequently between four different shells since I got him. He's made a nice sized dent in the substrate and just sits in there, looks like its just gotten deeper as he stays in there so that now he's sort of just got a little trench going

10. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I would get the pellets out of the tank. I mentioned it in the first thread you made, but I didn't think you saw it. Also, I would get a deeper water bowl. They need to be up to eye level in the water but they also need a way out. Also, I would do might baths in dechlor salt water to be sure that there are no mites. I wouldn't worry hat much other than that, because I slept at like 1 once and my hermit crabs are not active then, but when I woke up there were signs that they were moving.:D

11. strawberryskittle

I actually bought a bigger dish for the fresh water and was going to change the current fresh water dish to the salt water dish, but the new dish is pretty big, and I also have a big shipment of toys and hidey hut coming, but with the small hermit crab nowhere to be found, I don't know if I should go trying to move any dirt around to put the new dish in, the 10 gallon doesn't have a lot of floorspace, I wish I knew where the little one was :confused: I've cleaned the dishes out once and then suddenly started worrying I squished em :eek:

12. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

I had a problem with my humidity but it was just the gauge that's messed up (fixed now), I just bought a new hermit and hes probably molting to, he ate alot of food yesterday and during the night, now hes burried deep some where within my tank, so hopefully your guy is just molting to

13. strawberryskittle

Yikes! :eek: Mites?! Eeep but i don't know how to give them a bath! I don't even have a tub for them to bathe in... eep

14. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

Buy a bucket from the dollar store

15. strawberryskittle

For now Ive taken the pellets out and put in carrot banana and almonds and there's an egg shell in there fro yesterday... not sure really what else I can do at this moment since its so late.... ill just cross my fingers for some signs tomorrow morn!

16. strawberryskittle

omg... :eek: ... now I'm starting to wonder if my large hermie has gotten into that conch, then flipped onto a weird angle and can't get up?! I can't tell if he's enjoying his little hole in the earth, or he just can't get out of it..

I put a thin slice of carrot on an eggshell last night and stuck it right in front of his face, and it was demolished this morning! Out of curiosity, I nudged a peice of almond closer too, and he hardly flinched away, as soon as I took my hand out he had his pincers all over that eggshell/almond, and demolished the almond too.

Is he stuck? Slowly starving? should I just move him... That conch is terrible I really should take it out, he flips over onto a semi weird angle on that thing a lot and then seem to struggle with it!

17. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Hm... If he isn't like fully under I think it would be okay if you moved him. Just move him right next to the hole and see if he goes back into it. It might be PPS.

18. strawberryskittle

Got home today and the humidity was stable at about 73... guessing that's ok...

He's moved out of his original hole.... left some left overs in there just for me! :p

And moved into another hole...

constantly moving his front legs around, can't tell if he's cleaning...or digging or..what...

It can't be good that he's not going into the water dishes... maybe I should put him next to one...

19. strawberryskittle

update:: woke this morning to the sight of my little guy, shell really dark from the eco earth, climbing around a hole. Strangely, my big one was climbing down the same place ( its the same spot hes been sat in for days ) it didnt look like they were fighting or hurting each other so i let the be. then realized since i now know where both are i wanted to clean the ee. so took it out in portions, soaked in instant ocean, wrung it out and gently put them back into semi holes. i think the big one IS gearing for a molt!!! i cant tell if the little one actually molted or not. what a morning!!! now late for work, typing this out on my phone hehe. i hope i didn't disrupt them too much..... always worried i am !!! at least it doesn't smell like mildew anymore! it was almost as if the big one was waiting in line for that molting spot...

I hope the IO soaking is alright, I think I read somewhere that it would be okay but I can't remember where now...

20. strawberryskittle

:( sigh.....

nothing happened last night, no movement or anything. I guess the small one wasn't done yet when the big on interrupted, and now the big one is down there too, so for now...it just looks like I have a tank of dirt....

Had just put in a new coco hut and water dish too ... wanted to see them playing in those... bah...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.