1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby & question on Exo-terra's Glass Crabitats

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by MyCrab5, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyCrab5

MyCrab5 Guest

Hi! New here, fairly new to crabbing. What a wonderful site! I just wanted to say "hi" and thank you all for all the great information!!! I have 5 PP, size small to jumbo. Currently in a 10g.

Gotta a quick question: I didn't find this anywhere on the search of the forums...let me know if I need to move this question to the product section... but does anyone out there have one of those fancy Exo-Terra Glass Terrariums? The ones with the 2 doors in front? I am thinking about getting one, as I have physical limitations that stress me leaning over the 10g to clean & swap food/water. Does anyone have any experience with that type of tank? Good/Bad?

Thanks! Love this site!! Will be ordering from the store soon. :blowheart:

2. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Hello and Welcome to the Addiction! :vinkko:

I have 2 of the terrariums you are talking about.... I have the 12x12x12 size. These were purchased for my tarantulas.

These are the only 2 reasons I can think of for why they wouldn't work so well.

1. They have screened tops which would allow a lot of the humididty to escape, although this could be covered with saran wrap, plastic or some plexi-glass. The top screen is made with a platic frame, much caution would need to be exercised to avoid a heat light or any other form of incandesent lighting from melting it.

2. Whenever you would open the front doors they would allow a lot of the humidity and warmth to escape. I am not certain that they seal up tight enough to be able to maintain a 'constant' level for the humidity or the temps.

They are nice tanks and seem to be made pretty well. I am sure the reasons listed above can easily be overcome with some persistance and patience. The do have several great qualities about them.

The plus side is:
    1. They do allow for a UTH under them to help maintain a nice comfy temp in the substrate.
    2. They do allow easy access to the food, water and decor.
    3. The larger sizes would allow for more small crabs to reside inside.
    4. The styrofoam background can be removed and I would remove it.... for the sake of the crabs taking a few nibbles of it.

I think it could make a very pretty and nice display tank for the crabbies with a little work.... I love my tanks!
    Good luck with your decision!

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hi & Welcome! :partyhat4:

4. MyCrab5

MyCrab5 Guest

Thank you Joey & Vicki for that awesome welcome! I am so glad to have found this site. Joey, that information was exactly what I was looking for. Very informative. I had no idea about the plastic sides on the top -- yes, would be using an overhead hood style light and would not want to melt it. And definately would remove the styro-background. Looks pretty, but not very crab-healthy.

Again, thanks for your help! I look forward to chatting with you all on this site.

5. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

:vinkko: Hello MyCrab5!!! :vinkko:

6. horsegal

horsegal Guest

:sunny: Welcome to HCA! :sunny:

7. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Great question, Newbie! I dreeeeeam about those tanks, but they would need altered for use with crabs. They are so expensive though! Maybe if they get popular enough, they will go down in price and they will develop more accessories for them like various lids...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.