1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie who brought the beach home.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by deedeeiam, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

I thought I'd come by and say HI to all the wonderful forum-goers here. I've found the information here very useful. I was going to bring a turtle back from the beach but got drawn in at a shell shop that was "different" than the boardwalk ones. I realize now, after research, that this store was the only one correctly caring for the hermit crabs.

My crabs consist of:

Bubba - Lg, PP - My newest buddy. He was a mercy purchase about a week ago and now my largest crab. He was all alone in an enclosure at Petco with no shells to change into. His current shell was badly damaged and riddled with holes. He's in the ISO tank trying to decide which shell he wants to wear right now.

Silvester - Lg, PP - My second largest crab. Had I known how much of a houdini he would be, I'd have given him a more appropriate name. He escaped about 10 times before I got latches for my tank lid.

Harpo - Sm/Medium, ? - One of my original two crabs I got months ago. He looks completely different from all my other PPs, but I haven't got the identification thing down quite well. He is a bit nuts, in a cute way. He'll walk right onto your hand for a little hand-over-hand jog. It's like he's on speed most of the time - can't seem to decide! lol

Parker - Sm/Medium, PP - This hermie is still a bit shy.

Slug - Small, PP - The other of my original two. Slug "came free" with Harpo. He wasn't big into moving - hence the name. His shell looked 4 times to small for him but he never switched. Well, yesterday, he finally did....and went into one that looks 2 times too big for him. But now he's moving more.

Morgan - Small, PP - She's a grumpy little bugger and general trouble-maker. She puts herself in the middle of everything...like the food bowl when the others are enjoying their peanutbutter treat.

Lexi - Small, PP - My smallest hermie. She likes to dig in the "gravel pit" of all places. Diffently a quirky one.

Currently, I have a 20 gallon tank with multiple levels. I've read a few great threads about sizing and crabitat size, but I'm still not sure how many I should/can keep in this enclosure. (I probably need to add some pictures, but I can't seem to find my camera and my phone camera is horrid.)

Annnnyways, HI! I look forward to sharing my strange new obsession with you.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

WELCOME its nice to have you here - 7 is good people tend to over crowd unless they are true teenies and micros then you can have more. I like to use money as a comparison

3. deedeeiam

Eeepp...I'm pretty sure Slug is now attempting to molt...NOW...I'm nervous!

4. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

Welcome =D

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

WELCOME! Glad to have you! 7 is the most or perfect amount of crabs in a twenty gallon tank.

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I have 9 and I am going to wait till buying another hermit crab.

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Your hermies seem really cool! I love the names! :D Like the others said, 7 is good!
    ~Welcome~

8. deedeeiam

Thank you. Thank you. Bubba joined my main tank today so my brood is all together! ^_^

9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Cool! Good job to Bubba. :) Is he making friends?

10. deedeeiam

I had to do some readjustments. No matter how many hideouts I have, they all go together. Well, bubba changed into a shell that didn't fit the door way of the critter cottage. He looked att pittiful trying to get in there in only succeeding to move the house, so I added a large tree/rock thing with a big openeing.

Course, now I have two molters - slug (4 days) and lexi (6 days). So I'm glad bubba is in the tank to add a little interest!

11. CrabLover910!

CrabLover910! (Micro Crab)

Sounds like they are pretty close!
    I only have 2 little crablings but I have a small tank so yeah

mia!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.