1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie! Think I bought stressed hermie, 3/8'', gone 19 days and counting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by strawberryskittle, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Help!

I actually tried to register for HCA but no one will activate me after several mails so here I am!!!!

I did something silly on my last vacation, we were looking for random things to do, and thought hey yeah lets go get hermit crabs to play around with... I know, its as awful as it sounds, but when I got home, I started reading all over the internet and realized a lot of new things about them. They sold it to me in a tiny little plastic kit, and I picked cute painted one, I picked them for their paint! Yikes...

Since then I moved them into a 10 gallon tank, used eco earth, gave them salt and fresh water, distilled, and give them both fresh food and pellets often. I got them in the middle of May.

I have two, the small one has always been very inactive ( I bought it off the bottom of the tank of like 100 hermies). The big one used to climb all over and make lots of noise, often stepping over the little one's shell or just chilling on top of em. But the small one, did not move often, and I usually only saw it come out for the food or water, then go back to sitting in a corner. Once I saw it climb up the climbing net, but that was it, virtually no other activity even at 3am. At one point I thought it was trying to molt, so I moved it into an iso with some shells, and it swapped shells right away and seemed happy enough, so I moved em back home.

19 days ago the small one dug under, and I haven't seen it at all since. Not even a slight idea where it is. Nothing from the sides of the tank. I use eco earth only, and there's like no tunnel or space at all. Over the past two weeks, my big one has stopped moving around enitrely, and just sits in the corner. I can see the food touched on occasion, and the salt water dish was spilled this morn, but the fresh water was untouched. He just sit there in that same corner, doing nothing, and he looks miserable.

What's going on? the humidity stays around 75-80 and the temperature is always close to 80-82 (yeah its hot as anything in my room). I don't smell anything fishy, but the eco earth smell is veyr powerful. I haven't been able to clean the eco earth for weeks now and its starting to smell mildewy. Is my little guy dead under there? How long is it supposed to take? :( And my big one looks miserable!!! He used to be so bouncy :(

2. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

sorry this is a repeat post..... tried to get one deleted before it was approved but... :eek:

3. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

One thin I would do is gt rid of the pellets. They're bad. And 19 days isn't long for a molt. It mostly takes from 1 month 4 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.