1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie still in ISO

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by crazeecrabber103, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I've had the new crab in ISO since March 2.I was planning to put him in the main tank in a week,but he hasn't really improved much.He'll get up every 3-7 days to get something to eat or drink, or climb around a bit,but then he'll go back to his spot next to the UTH--and stay there.If he hasn't made any major improvement in a week,should I leave him in longer?He's all alone in there, and it's not like he's being introduced to a huge crab colony(just two crabs),but I wouldn't want to put him through a huge ordeal if he needs to stay in ISO longer.

2. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

My crabs like a spot right by the heater too. But their activity is pretty normal. Could it just be he has a favorite spot?

3. crazeecrabber103

That's definitely his favorite spot.No matter where he goes,he always ends up back there.But the time between eavh time he gets up to do anything is what worries me.I know for sure when he's moved because he can't lift his shell off the ground(too heavy) and it leaves a path behind him,showing every place he's visited.
    I know most new crabs from pet stores normally aren't in the best of health,but it's been more than three weeks and I'm really starting to worry that he won't pull through.[​IMG]

4. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

I can't offer any advice - I'm new also. If he's eating & drinking, however infrequently, I would continue to be hopeful. In another post I read here a while ago, someone said that crabs are less active when alone.

5. crazeecrabber103

I read in another post that signs of PPS can show months after purchase.Since I have no idea how long he was in that store with bad conditions,I guess I just hafta be more patient and hope he pulls through.

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

If he's eating and drinking, I would assume he's healthy enough to move after a month. His inactivity may be due to his being alone. There are no guarantees that he won't still suffer from PPS, but that's true even six or nine months after purchase, unfortunately. ISO is more about disease that can be spread, though having a chance to acclimitize before meeting "established" crabs and having to be incorporated into the pecking order is a plus too.

7. crazeecrabber103

Thanks for your help everyone.I'm going to be watching him very closely for the next few days.

8. cluelesscrabber

cluelesscrabber (Micro Crab)

You really should put him in main, unless he has bugs. I never isolated newbies, and they are perfectly happy together.

but then again i only have 3 crabs.....:p

9. crazeecrabber103

Yeah with this guy it'll be three,but my sixth crab altogether.Yeesh...I've had as many die as I've had survive.That's depressing.

Anywho,update on the new guy:
    I caught him at the water dish yesterday,with two legs attatched to the edge and the rest of him pulled into his shell.He stayed like that for a long time, then finally came out for a drink.He slept next to the water dish all night.
    When I came back from church this morning,he was walking past the salt water dish, just strolling around with his antennae waving around.He's found a new hiding spot--inside a roomy cave shaped as a pail.I'm planning to make the move this week.

10. crazeecrabber103

Just wanted to give an update:
    The new crab is in the main tank now. Crash and Spider haven't given him any problems so far. They'll be getting a big feast tonight:dried apple,chopped baby carrots,and pea sprouts mixed with crushed egg shells.Plus a bit of turkey with the bone opened so they can eat the marrow.[​IMG] I know it's a lot for three crabs, but I think they'll appreciate the variety.

11. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I hope you newbie pulls through.. he seems like he just wanted some friends to craawl arund with. maybe now that he has someone to play with he will get better. [​IMG]

12. crazeecrabber103

I'm sorry to say that the poor thing died shortly after moving into the main tank. He was very regressive and eventually stopped moving all together. I can't believe I didn't update here! I feel awful.[​IMG]
    However I do have some good news. I got two PPs in early April. They stayed buried for about a month. The larger one is still buried, but the smaller one came up a few weeks ago and is doing great. He has a huge appetite! And he is very active and friendly. He buried himself a few days ago. It's funny because when Spider came up from his molt, the little guy followed the tunnel that he had made, which led to a little cave that hadn't been visible when Spider was molting. It was right in the front of the tank and I could even see a small piece of left over exo. The darn crab has covered up the little window but I can still hear him scratching and I know he must be having a good time down there.[​IMG]

13. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'm sorry about your crab. [​IMG] I hvae had crabs just get lethargic and die more than once, and it's hard to say why that happens. Too high a humidity can cause it, I think, but sometimes I think it's stress-related. I'm glad your newbies are doing well, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.