1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help with surprise moult

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Outlaw Alice, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outlaw Alice

Outlaw Alice Hi, I'm New Here!

I hope someone can help me, One of my sons PP's did a surprise surface moult. He is a digger so we didn't see that as odd behavior, nor did he get a milky color. The only indication was an extremely upset son and an exo sprawled on the sand. He thought Dozer was dead and as I lifted the shell, I saw a pale pinky-purple BP. I realized then what had happened. There's no smell, so I can only assume we just have to wait and let him harden. I have iso'd him in a small tank, I have to get a larger one, he's too big for it. I feel really dad about moving hima second time but he has already completed the moult, I just need to keep him iso'd so I can watch him and he has no room for a water dish and food dish. Is this a safe time to slip a piece of paper in his BP to check onhim, and am I inviting disaster by moving him a second time at this point?

2. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I would have not put him in ISO only because he needs the proper humidity levels and heat and he needs the food and water dishes. Did you keep his exo, I hope so as he needs to eat that to regain his strength? He will eat his exo then will be hardened enough to go back to normal. I had a surface molt with Orangy only because I had to dig her up a few times because she was dug up by my other crabs 1 time and then the other time was because I had smelled fishy smell so I went digging for her and it turned out to be a rotting piece of shrimp that was kinda hidden. I didn't ISO just watched my other crabs, Orangy surfaced molted under the bridge so it was not so bad. I just kept an eye on her and the others till I saw the exo almost gone then I took the extra pieces and put them in the food dish once Orangy was up and walking around.

3. Outlaw Alice

He's actually doing pretty good! He's a pretty baby pink and lavender! :D How long does it take for his new exo to harden? Will it darken as it does?

I didn't want to ISO him, but I was having trouble with the humidity levels, could that be why he sneaked it in on us? I have gas heat and live in a 2 story house. The hermies were upstairs in my son's room where it gets much warmer. I didn't need a heater, but because gas heat removes moisture from the air, I had to move the tank anyway. I thought it would be more stressful to leave him in there while I moved the tank downstairs into the hustle of the entire family. I have Dozer ISO'd in a giant brandy snifter :rolleyes: in my bedroom where he's staying warm, and I keep him misted and the entire thing covered in a damp towel and that's actually keeping the humidity at about 76%. He's munching on his exo and looking very pinky purple. He's not up and walking, but I plan to snitch a leg off his exo and crushing it up with some honey and setting him over that when I get home.

BTW - I got the tank set up downstairs and added a heater that sticks to the side of the tank and intro'd a new hermie I got when I picked up the heater. Hubby named him Stretch because he's super lively and sprawls at all times. As soon as you pick him up he shoots out of his shell and tries to grab your fingers! Set him down, and you have to run after him! I have never seen a hermit crab that energetic! He had an ugly painted shell (I hate those things) He was into every shell in the tank and finally decided on a nice turbo, oddly enough, the one that Dozer vacated a month or two before his molt!

Thank you for the reply, it seems he's doing well. I just peek at him in the am and at night to make sure he's eating and watching for him to move around!

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Make sure he has his exo and if he is not one of the smaller crabs he should be OK in the main tank. Make sure to give him cuttlebone and eggshells also.

5. Outlaw Alice

Yes, he has his entire exo, I crushed a leg up last night and made a mush out of it and hiney and set it next to him, he's been dragging legs over to himself and munching at a pretty good rate. i looked at him this mornig and the pink was about gone, he's turning a nice purple. Hubby is boiling an egg today for mem to put the shell in tonight. Am I supposed to do anything special to the eggshell or just crush it up?

6. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Just crush it up, as long as it is cooked then crushing it up is perfect.

7. Outlaw Alice

Great! Now I just wonder how much larger he's going to be! It's hard to tell right now! :D

8. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Sounds like Dozer is doing much better! I'm so glad:)
    That's Awesome your new crab ditched the painted shell for a turbo! I know he is a Much happier crab~! Did you Iso the new crab? Or is he in the tank alone? I only ask because it's best 2 always Iso new crabs. They need alone time to de-stress when they first arrive to a new home, and a new crab "might" have mites. You may already know this:) I just wanted to add that. & again I am happy things are better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.