1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie here with question...

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by jh3553, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh3553

jh3553 Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello to everyone! I currently have 6 Hermit Crabs...all PP's and I would really like to redo my tank. The problem is that I just can't seem to find any suction cups that will work. (including most of the ones that come attached with the household or bathroom shelves you can use for levels, and even a lot of the plastic plants that have suction cups won't stick)They either won't stick at all or they fall shortly after placement (usually with a crab still attached!) I have tried making sure that the tank walls are clean and dry, etc... How do I fix this problem? Is there a certain kind or brand that seems to work without fail? Thanks so much in advance!

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Hi! Welcome to HCRU! What kind of tank do you have? Is it glass?

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Vicki has these suction cups at her store : Hermit Crab Addiction. Those should work. They are for crab tank etc. There is also lots of other and everything other you need for crabs there.;)

4. deege39

deege39 (Micro Crab)

I actually use something like this: http://www.homesupplies-b2b.com/b2b/pics/Plastic_Household_Hooks.jpg

(They're white hooks with double-sided tape.) They're much more sturdier; I had trouble making them stick, but a little bit of super-glue did the trick.

I use those hooks to hold up the vines that line my tank- They're more than strong enough to keep the vine from falling when they're hanging on.

5. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I got some big ones that come 2 in a pack at Walmart for under $2 per pack. I really like them, also in the bath section I believe there are heavy duty ones that lock. I think they are called locking suction cups.

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

This might sound gross but I found that if lick my finger and then rub it on the suction cup it sticks better.

7. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

You also have to make sure no sand is on the walls of the tank where you put the suction cups. I also noticed that the suction cups don't work on the sealant, my tank has a big crack in the one corner that was filled in with sealant and the suction cups won't stick to that area. I usually get them wet a bit too but the main thing is to make sure the glass is clean from sand and salt water deposits.

8. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

I just moisturize the place where the cup is going to stick, then wet the inside of the bowl part of the suction cup, if that doesn't work then I suggest you purchase some new ones.

As Coco said, Vicki does sell suction cups in her store.

Hermit Crab Addiction Store

:)

9. CrazyCrabGuy

CrazyCrabGuy (Micro Crab)

Hey welcome to hcru!!!

10. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Sometimes I see some suction cups at Home Depot or Lowes so maybe you can find some. Good luck with your crab

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've used the locking suction cups, worked well. The ones I have in the store work good too.

If you think you won't be upgrading your tank, you can do a more permanent thing. If you have a plastics store(out here it's Tap Plastics) you can get acrylic bars. Drill some holes in the bars(for things to attach to) and then you glue them to your tank walls using aquarium sealant. You will need to keep the crabs somewhere else for 24 hours as the sealant has to cure and it smells.

If you want to see pics I have some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.