1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie crabbie caretaker

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by firewench, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firewench

firewench Guest

Salutations. I am new to the site, courtesy referral of my dear pal Pete MacK. I am the happy companion of two lovely small purple claws. They travel on assignment with me. Some of the places I have been assigned are Virginia, Wyoming, New York & Louisiana. I am a travelling Firefighter/Paramedic. We recieve our snail mail in Colorado, where my hubby stays home & cares for all our other non-crabbies; Reptiles, rodents, rabbits, chickens, horses, dogs, cats....Looking forward to getting to be an even better hermie mommie by way of this community. Not much of a post-er, though, may not actually hear from me unsolicited. (I know, Pete's gonna think that's odd considering my offline personality...)
    :banana:

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

:welcome: to the site. Chime in when you want to.

How long have you had the crabs? How are they during travel, it's very interesting to know. Alot of people ask how ot move them when they are moving to another house/state.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:madhouse: I hope you can learn lots here while having fun :hermez:

Yes how do you maintain heat/humidity while traveling? I am curious to hear...I am moving myself soon and have ideas lined up

4. firewench

firewench Guest

I've had them a little over a year now. They've had 5 successful molts so far.
    I have either a 2 1/2 gal aquarium, complete with toys & substrate, food & water removed for the trip, replaced at hotel if overnight drive: Or, I have placed them in a moist papertowel inside a ziplock; Or, a tiny little tupperware w/substrate. Either way, I have a littel travel kit w/sea salt, food dishes, LOTS of extra shells, food & an undertank heater, thermometers, water conditioner...
    They seemed to like the aquarium best during car trips (seatbelted in...) But oddly, they liked the ziplock in my pocket best for airplane travel. They were fidgety beyond belief in the tupperware, but grabbed on to their papertowel & just watched when I would pull the ziplock out for fresh air during the ride. They were quite the hit one day flying from Colorado to NYC!
    Today I caved in & rescued 2 new small crabbies from the local pet store. They're in iso for now, we'll see how these 2 adjust to my veterans.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Wow you were able to bring them on the plane? Did the airline know you were bringing them? From what we've researched and found out by contacting some airlines, they were considered dangerous. What airline was this and how did you go about bringing them on? Sorry for so many questions but this is great to hear!

6. firewench

firewench Guest

I'm an old school herpetologist, years ago we used to transport our baby snakes in our bras/shirts/coat pockets/carry-on, depending on the number to be transported. To *&#!!# with the airlines, they don't need to know what's in my pocket & none of my crabbies wear braces, so there's no metal to set off the detector. :spunky: Yeah, just don't brag or discuss, don't show off until your people skills for reading crab sympathetic folks is keen. Can't think what's "dangerous" about crabbies, unless it's the addictive nature??!!! :hermez2:

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

I had a friend come visit me and I had told her I thought of a way to get her E's to take home. My idea was very close to what you do. I told her since she had her son with her, put a small KK in her baby bag, some moss/sand with some plastic bugs in there for effect. Then put the crabs in a baggie in her pocket as she went through the detector. Once inside, go into the bathroom and put them in the kk in the baby bag. I was pretty sure it would work, now I know it would! :thanks:

I'll see if I can find the old posts on this...I think of their claws they could be used as weapons. This is what the airline said, it was crazy.

8. firewench

firewench Guest

"I'll see if I can find the old posts on this...I think of their claws they could be used as weapons. This is what the airline said, it was crazy."

Yet one more simple reason that crack is illegal.....<sigh> :no:

9. iluvhermies

iluvhermies Guest

:welcome: I have only been coming here for a few days now. This is a very friendly place. They really make you feel like you are at home with friends.

10. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Another Coloradoan, huh? Howdy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.