1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by puckmonky, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puckmonky

puckmonky Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm new to crabbing. I just decided to take it up about three weeks ago. I just got my crabs about a week ago. I have four of them. Their names are Elizabeth, Rose, Captain Pete and Citizen Snips. I have been doing lots of research since I have decided to start my new hobby. I think these little guys are such fascinating creatures. I have found a wealth of information but still thirst for more. I have been reading as many books that I can find and searching as many websites that I can find useful. Unfortunately there isn't anybody in my area that I know of that knows anything about hermit crabs to whom I can talk to about them. It's a little dissapointing but at least I have this forum and all of you guys out there that know a thing or two about crabbing. There is a lot of contradicting information out there but I guess you have to do what works best for you. I am so excited to journey into the hermit crab experience.

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome! I'm sure you will find someone in Illinois here. Well maybe not but you will find everything you need to know about crabs. If you still need some more info then there is a checklist on the little left hand side links on the portal with all the crab needs and you can post any questions you want. Good Luck I like your crab names:):):):)

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I am in IL and would love to help, PM me and I will be more than happy to help you. I am by the WI border if that helps tell you where I am located more. In McHenry County.

4. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Welcome! You'll love this website! It's awesome! The members here are so nice and know tons of information! I'm still learning, though. I love your hermit crab's names! Did you check their gender before naming them?

5. puckmonky

puckmonky Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you for such a warm welcome. I do know that at least two of them are girls but I'm not positive about the other two. I'm only sure about those two because they will come far enough out of their shell for me to take a look. It's crazy bacause it almost seems like they are going to just fall right out because they come out so far. The other two wont' come out that far. Thanks for the compliment on my crabby's names.

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Welcome Pucky :)
    I know there is a lot of conflicting info out there, but there are some good knowledgeable people here and on some other forums (I belong to three forums and find all three invaluable, as I get info from all three) that can help you out. I think the hardest part was figuring out how to get my crab's habitat in the right ranges. It seemed so hard to regulate the humidity, then to keep the temps in a good range, and then I also learned about having to temp the substrate as well if you use an under tank heater (which I need since my house gets cold at night). It seems like the more you learn, the more you realize you need to find out lol. I was also paranoid about not getting them the nutrients they need since I dont' use commercial crab foods due to the harmful preservatives in them. I have a huge variety of food for them now, it's part of the fun of having them I think hehe.
    Can I suggest crabstreetjournal.com - The first land hermit crab magazine online and in print for some excellent information and articles, as people who are actually interested in hermit crab scientific research frequent there and post articles? I love it, I've learned so much! Welcome, loving hermit crabs is like a fever, and turns quickly into an obsession. :) I started with one and now have 10!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.